Restoring 1988 Maruti 800

Thread Starter #16
posting some pics of engine oil leakage..1 round spot per nite of stay..can any good sealant stop the same ,as the leakage is from the sump,will post more clearer image at evening..

Attachments

Replace the oil sump won't cost you much, its around 500 rs. And for the CD Player getting turned off the reason is your almost dead alternator, its not able to take up the load. Either replace it or get it repaired.

Thread Starter #18
MY mech is saying that in order to get the oil sump replaced they have to take out the whole engine,is it correct and is their any risk involved in removing the engine again after 1 month as my engine is very good..!what is the price of a new alternator..?

Yes you need to remove the engine out. If it will be done by professionals then there would be no issues. A new alternator would cost 3.5 to 4k.

Great to see your car , Dont waste money on AC kindly check if the gas is correct one for your compressor and bottle.
1. Check the all the pipes of the ac and if rusting is there replace with new pipes use the paint at the places of joints. also u can use RTV sealant before charging GAS in ac. if compressor is ok and engine is done it should work. my 14 year old type - 2 car ac still works good. if your compressor is not good then it is better to remove the ac altogether as done by ss80.

2. Maruti 800 s type 1 are better build specially 90 to 94 ones i found to be of stronger then later they are a good buy for 25-30K is body excellent.

3.Check timing belt and roller tension + timing of the engine for smoothness of engine. the compressor assembly may also be making sound but this is not related to clutch.

4. check the clutch release bearing for sound (use only new one) and the pressure plate these items must be original for excellent operation, both clutch release spring one which is situated outside the clutch leaver on the gearbox must good ones.

5. check by using a stethoscope as to where exactly the sound is coming.

6 i prefer using new parts for suspension steering,axle and shock absorbers. for other parts u can use good old ones from junk car.

The oil leakage could be due to worn out seals in the engine.To assess the problem I suggest you take the car to the mechanic and ask him to put it on a lift or ramp and look at the oil trail.That should help you sort the issue.If it is the sump get it changed.SS80 had a crack in his oil sump, check out his thread for more details.

Last edited:
For Engine Oil/Gear Box Oil Leak.
1. Check the levels of Oil in The Gearbox and Engine they shound not be more than their maximum. i once faced similar kind of leak from Gear oil because it was overfilled.

2. Check by taking the car to a workshop and lifting it as sugg above, find the source of the leak it could be the oil pump , slump or gasket / rocker cover, check by first cleaning whole engine area.

Whats the latest update @arunabh8899.Keep us posted.Losing oil is a big problem, though what might be causing it might be relatively simple.Please get the problem assessed soon.

Hi Arunabh,
What you should now in my opinion is
1.Clean engine bay with kerosene & cotton waste (especially the engine, exhaust, headcover, bottom oil sump etc should be wiped clean)
2. Try wiping them with dry waste cloth too & bring it to a stage where you cant find any oil leak.
3. Now start the car & leave it to idle for 3 - 5mins, then switch off the car see if any oil is leaking from anywhere
4. If above step brings no result, then drive the car for about a kilometer atleast & then check the engine bay again. Now you should be able to see the source of the leak.

Most likely areas where Oil can start leaking
1. Engine Head cover gasket worn out (the plate where its marked MARUTI) - Rs.50/-
2. Oil Sump gasket cut or worn out - 50 max
3. Oil sump broken/cracked or the drain bolt in it is loose - 370/- (MGP)
4. Gear Oil leak through breather pipe hole - Rs.5/-

Check this page, you can see pictures of the Oil leak I had in my car
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6379-bought-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac-16.html

New Oil Sump Image

Oil Sump gasket

Click here to see engine removed pictures of my car, hope it helps
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/ownership-reviews/6379-bought-my-first-car-maruti-800-ac-20.html

Regarding the Pressure plate noise:
M800 has the lowest priced Clutch & Alternator in entire INDIAN car industry (AFAIK).

Do not repair the pressure plate/clutch, just replace them it costs 17xx/- MGP. It is worth spending the money. It lasts easily for more than 30000kms for even people who drive rashly.

I tried fixing my car's Dynamo initially, it was waste of time, money & effort. No point in fixing that old dynamo. Rather buy a new BOSCH 45Amps dynamo (specifically available & precise fit in M800) - 45xx/-

If you are not planning for any major music system/fog lamps/headlamp upgrade etc then you can also think of these two dynamos
TVS LUCAS 35Amps - 35xx/-
DENSO 35Amps - 38xx/-

MGP dynamo for 800 is nothing but a rebadged TVS LUCAS ONE!

PS: To replace the Oil sump, the engine has to be taken out of the car. I suggest you club oil sump change along with clutch change. Will save you on labour.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #25
Thank u very much friends for your keen interest in my cars issues,u wud be happy to knw tht today I m taking her to workshop for a detailed inspection as I had a hot arguement wid my mech. Regarding the same,I m also going to repair the steering box and rear shockers as the rattling has increased to maximum..SS80, got ur words and see wat happens tommorrow,post u the pics soon.....[glasses][glasses]

Thread Starter #26
Hi friends,as told yesterday I went to garage at 11 am yesterday and replaced worn out steering box components,the mech denied to replace the whole steering assembly bcoz it wud have made a big hole in my pocket,another way out was to get it from a junk for Rs.800 only but no gaurantee tht it wud lasr.so finally decided to repair it...
Cost:-
1)punjer kit Rs.195
2)another bush-(forgot the name)-Rs.95
3)handbrake cable-Rs.324
4)handbrake lever-170
5)labour charge-500
Pls have a look at the pictures

Attachments

Congrats, Quite a lot of work has been done & its all good. These parts will last for a long time & wont trouble you every now & then. Its good that you replaced the handbrake lever & cable, I too will do that shortly. I dont know the name of that plastic thing.

How is the steering feel now? Does it Auto Center (coming back to straight position after a turn by itself?) easily? Please share your experience pre & post steering parts servicing.

Good that you chose MGP parts & shared the photos & prices here, will help us too. I can see the green colour now much more clearly.

OT:
Avoid buying electricals from MGP, unnecessarily high cost especially these - Indicator Stalks, Wiring, Front combo indicators, alternator.

Thread Starter #30
Thank u ss80,yes definitely the steering feels happier thn ever,and returns back on its own after a turning,..I wud suggest m800 owners to service their steering. Box if their car is 10 yrs or above old,its worth the time and money...keep u updated..good day

Top Bottom