Restored: 1985 Yezdi D250 Classic

Thread Starter #1
Now it is time to ink my story of falling in love with legendary machine YEZDI.

My father bought it in 1985 one year before i born. he used this bike up to 1994. After arrival of hero Honda cd100ss he limited the usage of Yezdi due to low mileage.
I remember those days when I was only 9 year old. It was kept idle and my big brother and his friends used to take it for ride by feeding her kerosene. I don’t remember sitting on that bike in ride But I do remember I used kick start by paddling the lever to listen budd budd sound. After paddling I used to sit on the seat, I was feeling and playing like riding it [;)] Really I have lot of memories with the non-running condition bike. It was kept idle in my native place (small village) , I do agree it has been ignored and resulting in parts like accelerator mutti, mirror, petrol tank cap such a removable parts had been stolen by kids for ice candy’s. (In village places ice candy sellers used to take metals/scrap in exchange for ice candy). Now you can imagine the story how a bike which was in riding condition transformed to the Bike shown in the pic.

Recently I planned to take a bike, while looking in olx unfortunately I found Yezdi’s with price tag greater than 70k. I surprised and started to read stories about yezdi and realized what we have neglected is not an ordinary machine. When I put a proposal in home that I want to restore it my father started firing at me mentioning there is nothing left in the bike except chassis and core engine. I tried to convince him but no use. Finally I took it to a mechanic (without my father consent) in Bagalkot city which is nearer to my native place.

Experience with riding Jawa/Yezdi : Nil

Experience with maintaining any bike: Nil

Intension: To have rare, legendary and vintage bike as my first bike. Enjoy the riding of Yezdi, Preserving it for next generation (I hope so)

Motivation: My memories, encouraging articles in web, I like the look of classic bike especially front suspension, headlight dome and front mudguard. I just want to have that design in my collection.

Plan: After deciding to restore, I started browsing forums for place to restore, source the spares and care to be taken while restoring. I decided to take my bike to Mysore considering availability of spares and mechanic. But transportation of bike became headache I was supposed to spend 4k for transportation. As IRCTC needs RC + insurance, But both has expired. Luckily I got link to a mechanic in Bagalkot city(My native district) he was in profession since 1975 with experience on almost all jawa models.

Sourcing spares: 90% of spares from Mysore, 10% from Bangalore

Chrome and buffing: As mechanic told he will get it done from Hyderabad, I left the job for him. Really as per my experience,time limitation decided not to take risk and handed over entire work to him.

Painting: Same, Assigned to mechanic.

Experience of restoration. In my case it is just like starting to build a system only with chassis,front mud guard, front suspension,headlight dome covers,side panels and machine with bad piston and block and rusted-non working ignition kit.

New parts:

Petrol tank was gone by rusting completely, Ignition kit, chain sprocket, air filter, rear mud guard, rear shock observer, both rims, tires , tubes, headlight assembly, seat assembly, Foot rest, chain covers, accelerator mutti, tank side rubber for grip, tank cap, speedo meter, lever set, Ignition switch(Key),Tail lamp, Tail lamp bracket, Indicators, Horn switch, Indicator switch, wiring kit, cable kit, clutch plate, engine bearing, …

About mechanic: Forgive me if it looks like out of topic, but I have to share this for people who are enthusiast about machines, and for the people who really in need of information for example people like me who collected lot of information before restoration. Believe me I read Ananth's post more than twice.

Mechanic name Shafeek, He started working on machines since 1975, He talks less, works calm he is cool. I am inking it one by one.

1. He dis assembled the bike with too patience as it was totally jammed kick liver was struck, engine plate was not coming outside, when it was unable to remove without hammer work, when he was operating with hammer I thought anything may break but I was wrong it came easily.

2. His advice on changing parts is really appreciable. As petrol tank was totally rusted from inside he told to replace advising for future problems. Replacing shock observers, advice in tyre selection. When automobile shop keeper told block piston i mean piston with block price 7000 Rs, He told its maximum cost is 2500 don’t worry we will take only piston I will change cylinder sleeves for standard piston size. Ignition kit(rotor and coil assembly) he replaced from his stock considering higher rates in the market for Jawa spares.

3. For spares purchasing he came to Mysore on my request and he himself giving priority for genuine parts that he can recognize which I can’t. Reached Mysore at 12pm and return train was at 4pm within this period he managed to get almost all spares purchasing that is also without having any food. He mentioned work is more importance for me.

4. I told the Junior mechanic(mechanic’s son) to video shoot the first kick start either it may start or may not start whatever it may be I want video without fail. Finally I got video where Junior mechanic started it for the first attempt and his surprise expression is recorded in the video. It will be lesson for the juniors what the perfect engineering is. In other angle how much simple mechanics is there in Jawa machines, A machine which is kept idle from 20 years in the bad atmosphere without care [anger].

5. He told his experience with Driving Yezdi, he used to take 40 minutes on legendary bike Yezdi from Bijapur to Bagalkot(84 kms). Really he is a crazy guy. When I asked about Jawa bikes he told two things
This bike is only for Gentleman.
It is very reliable machines once set correctly it requires very little maintenance.

6. He took all responsibilities of restoration, as i am working in Bangalore, I am getting only updates from junior mechanic by whatsapp pics and videos and sometimes video calls(Courtesy JIO Sim :D ). He went to Hyderabad two times(as petrol tank purchased later) for Chromium, nickel plating and buffing works. 2nd time he came up with parts given in 1st time and petrol tank which was took for chrome. He managed to stay one extra day to get work done.

7. As Jikov carburetor price is greater than 4k he opted Pacco, As I strongly suggested him to go for Jikov as it is designed especially for Jawa machines he told “Don’t worry I will set up it, Nothing will happen to engine if it is set correctly”.

Only one thing is he is not aware is current market price of Jawa spares. But he was happy to restore bike this is the reason i gave him.

Restoration started at: October 16 2016

Present condition given in pic. I will be posting few more pics and complete cost break up after complete restoration.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1981 Yezdi D250 Classic Restoration

Do you know how much I hate you guys owning a Yezdi...

My dad had a 77 Model B Yezdi, and was in family till 94.
As he graduated to Car and scooter, We used to ride the Yezdi to school and tutions and were disgusted for driving this old crap when every one else used to ride a HH/TVS/Yamaha or KB.

By 94, my elder bro got rid of this bike and brought a 110 CC Supra and we were elated to the latest band wagon of powerful Japanese 2 stroke.

I remember Yezdi was sold at sum, for which we had to put Rs. 200 from our pocket even to buy a BSA cycle those were the resale during that period.

Now since last 7-8 years I yearn to get a Yezdi and relive those moments, the legendary voice of two mufflers, mixing 2T to petrol tank, That quintessential kick/gear lever. Pumping fuel to carburetor to start the bike, and low saddle height. Non Existent Horn and dim head light.. It had it own charm... That bike had never let us down..
Still remember how riding at 80KMPH would mean the handle bar to vibrate, and release the hefty accelerator for engine breaking to slow the bike down.

Yes I need it badly and I am jealous of you !!

Cheers !!!

SG

Hi Praveen
Amazing restoration. My restoration is nothing compared to you, you have the guts to do this in a place where there is not much support. Good quality restoration. My suggestion:

1. Try to retain the same silencer, there are people who would remove the dents from the silenser. In yezdi, silencers are the most prominent ones to give final look. You may lose some money on remaking chrome but it would be worth doing it.
Its very nice you retained the original looks. Try maintaining the same, take care while they do Seat cover, clutch leaver etc as many would try to put fancy ones which will spoil your effort, be with the mechanic during final finish.

You could have started a fresh thread as your restoration is of quality. You could still do it as it is yet to finish. All the very best to you, your father will be the happiest to see this bike as my father still shows my bike to his friends stating proudly its out of Showroom.

All the best & do post the final pictures. You do get rear brake lights still, try retaining all originals.
I also have owners manual ( Colour copy), can send you if you share your address when i am free.
Please share how much you paid for New Tyre & where you sourced it. I am looking for one.

Ananth

Thread Starter #4

Hi Praveen
Amazing restoration. My restoration is nothing compared to you, you have the guts to do this in a place where there is not much support. Good quality restoration. My suggestion:

1. Try to retain the same silencer, there are people who would remove the dents from the silenser. In yezdi, silencers are the most prominent ones to give final look. You may lose some money on remaking chrome but it would be worth doing it.
Its very nice you retained the original looks. Try maintaining the same, take care while they do Seat cover, clutch leaver etc as many would try to put fancy ones which will spoil your effort, be with the mechanic during final finish.

You could have started a fresh thread as your restoration is of quality. You could still do it as it is yet to finish. All the very best to you, your father will be the happiest to see this bike as my father still shows my bike to his friends stating proudly its out of Showroom.

All the best & do post the final pictures. You do get rear brake lights still, try retaining all originals.
I also have owners manual ( Colour copy), can send you if you share your address when i am free.
Please share how much you paid for New Tyre & where you sourced it. I am looking for one.

Ananth
Thank you Ananth,

Yes, silencers are looking bad on the pics. I have not seen it yet directly. Even i believed he will take care of each and every thing but he has taken call without my notice. When i asked him about this, he told it will loose its strength if it is cut and again welded. Even i wish to do it perfectly. I will try to do it.
Tires which comes with verticle line (price is more i guess 5k per tyre? i don't know why that much) so I purchased non branded tyre in Swastik Automobiles Mysore it is called by name Maruti tires. 2 tyre + 2 tube costed 3k.
Yes i have bought original tale lamps and headlight assembly.
I believe i got all original parts except chain covers and shock observer (because my spring is in black color). And accelerator Mutti (quote in shivajinagar bangalore is 1800), i just went with bullet's accelerator mutti 130 Rs. I have long term plan to restore to originality by experts suggestions.
Because of less time i couldn't take photographs of spares. Seat is almost same as yours bike.
I know it will take time to understand completely, unless i get manual. Ananth if you can email me photo copy or PDF converted pics of Manual it will help me more.
i think PDF can be attached here. You can try Cam Scanner app. My Request [:)]
email

I will post rest of things once i see the bike.

Praveen Lalasangi

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes Praveen, restoration is a long time process, from a pathetic state you have restored it to a usable state. No mechanic will understand our taste. Once you have the bike with you, & as you get the original parts just replace it. To bring to a original shape, i had to dismantle it all again & did not count how much i spent ..
when you have time , do remove the chrome from side covers, they look good only in original aluminum.. i have both the side engine covers (kicker side) & other side, i had bought it in Pune thinking its brand new, later on my mechanic said it might be restored one.. but it is not chromed, if you need it let me know, only thing is i have to search it in my well arranged garrage..!!!.
Do call me sometime if you need any help. 9900144315
where in mysore did you purchase spares. Thanks for the Tire shop name.

Ananth

Thread Starter #6
Re: Restored: 1981 Yezdi D250 Classic

Edit of post title Restored: 1981 Yezdi D250 Classic
Because my father bought second hand classic bike according to RC book manufacturing year is 1982.

I agree that engine plates are so shiny, i told mechanic not to chrome engine side plates. But when i saw the shining i surprised and asked angrily him about it. He told it is buffing not chrome. Hyderabad buffing will be like that it will become normal after some days. Before i was too upset with shining plate but i agree it is buffing only. Now i feel Just OK.
When i asked about silencer restoration he recommended not to open silencer for purpose of cosmetics once opened originality will be altered, you can't get the sound as it was before. So i will leave it untouched and will plan to buy good one instead of altering this.

And tail lamp i bought is local only it has only one holder inside. Ideally it should have two holders one for stop light and one for parking light. Even wires out of tail lamp are only two. Any one have idea of where i can get original tail lamp. Please suggest shop name. Photo of original tail lamp will help me lot.

I have compromised my desire of hand painting of lines on mud guard,petrol tank and proceeded with radium. [confused] Don't know when radium starts peeling out.

Superb Build. I remember my Uncle had the Jawa 250 in the early 80s and whenever he used to visit us we use to pester him for a ride, those were the days I still remember............[clap]

Thread Starter #8
Hello friends,
some updates here.

I struggled a lot to get good and working Ignition switch, problem is because two times i sent parcel of ignition switch to my mechanic but he reported it is wasn't worked. So it took time to make it ready.
I have done a big mistake by placing indicators to the dome. I witnessed to this. I proceeded as per mechanic and later i realized it. [frustration]
And decided to remove indicators from dome and give dome for filling it and repaint. This yet to happen. By Tomorrow bike will be shown to RTO for FC, later it will be reworked. Attaching the photos. Please suggest me rework is correct or not.

Ananth: I sourced almost all spares from Swastik, Mysore

Attachments

Wow. What a cool restoration!! Congratulations and happy for your restoration from almost scratch.
All the best!!!

Thread Starter #10
Guys, finally i got my bike and drove it. Thanks for your support and encouragements. Some points,
It has been re-worked for the headlight dome, and there are some more works left.
Ignition switch problem, tail lamp is old/local and little problem in making gear neutral when engine is on.

Total restoration cost : 66.5 k
Cost break up
Chrome, buffing : 7.5k
Painting : 6.5k
Mechanic : 5.5k
RTO Agent: 3k Insurance,FC,Renewal,Transfer from my father to me, Smart card,
DL(2&4 wheeler) : (2.5k Out of scope, just information)
Spares :35k
(Due to Petrol tank assembly 5k, rear mud guard 2800 Really Yezdi parts sold for higher price, Even petrol tank i got from mysore is not new one, it is restored one)

Uploaded final pics

Attachments

Last edited:
One word for your effort "Excellent".
The only one thing that spoils the look of this legendry bike, is the Saree guard. Actually is feels like something unnecessary added to it. Again is my personal opinion.

One more thing, try to use this bike for rare purpose, as restored bike are more prone to maintenance. Also you have taken so much effort and spend lot of money on it. If you wish to pass this vehicle to your next generation, you will have to take more care of it.
[;)]

Thread Starter #12
Yes, you are right. I will take this bike for ride only. Decided not to take it for any work or travelling to office. And not leave bike anywhere unattended. I kept it inside home in my native. And i have plan to bring to bengaluru and keep it with me.
About saree guard, thanks for feedback. [:)]

Top Bottom