Restoration of API Lambretta

@ss80: Reassebmling a single cylinder two stroke engine is barely a couple of hour's job provided one has the right equipment for it (no valvetrain= simplicity personified). I hope the bore/piston/rings/conncting rod/bearings are in good shape. There should be no other major problem with the engine if these things are okay.

Can't wait to hear a sound clipping of your good ol' Lambretta! (Hope you have got the silencer decarbonised).

p.s.: When its done, use 50ml 2T oil (go for Castrol Super TT if you can find it) with every litre of petrol and continue with it. Its and old engine and should be cared for properly.

@SS80

Hey good work buddy, I am very eager to see that Lamb !! hope you will show me that soon and I will make it a point whenever I am in Bangalore this time, would like to drive it to remember my school days when I learnt driving on this scooter[clap]

Thanks Sam Sir,
The engine has been stripped for cleaning & inspection for any issues etc. But the guy who took it apart will return only after Diwali so everything is in bits & pieces at the mechanic shop. In fact I suggested my friend (the owner) that we'll fix the body to the frame & take a few pictures but even that is not happening as he's extremely disappointed with the mechanical delays.

I will update here as soon as anything comes up. Thanks a lot.
Bro, assembling the engine is no big deal. All you need (apart from the spanner sets) is a clutch compressor, which you can get it done from any welder close by you residence. Just be motivated and learn the trade. We are there to help you. Please get the engine back from the mechanic and start the job ASAP. Do you have all the parts ready with you?, like a new connecting rod & balanced crank, clutch plates, packing set, set of new bearings, etc. You may also groove the head, rewire the coils for DC compatibility and so on, all at home. You can do it bro.
Also mechanics are notorious in delaying and committing newer dead lines. It is my personal experience and hope its the same everywhere. So be assured, if you fail to follow up frequently (shamelessly too) there are chances that you get the engine by Christmas.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #65
Sorry everybosy, The Lambi project is on hold for time being. Mechanic has not touched the engine yet as some parts have to be purchased for the same + my friend is switching jobs soon. He's not very keen like before in getting it fixed. Job woes are high on him. I too am expecting some pics/updates from his end.

Very sad to know this Anand. Anyway, is there anyone else who can help you from TAI. if you are in Chennai am sure i would have come for rescue [dont think am excellent in it, but would have done some work] and bring the product well and get a nice ride in it with your permission.

After seeing your lamby, I have gone back to my Lambretta days.

Hello SS80, Just wanted to know if there has been some update in your project. Please let our folks informed, if you are stuck for want of some parts.
-Ilango

Thread Starter #68
Sir, recently my friend met me & updated me about the Lambi, the mechanic has lost/ misplaced the engine parts in his garage. The mechanic is not showing any interest in getting the engine fixed, nor does he have all parts to return the scooter to us. Although we know him for years, he is not speaking up openly & that's why the whole project has not moved so far. Last month my friend wanted to sell this Lambi for some financial issues he was facing & he requested me to assemble it back, that's when I got to know the whole issue with the mechanic friend. without the engine & wiring no body will buy just the body.

The parts are all at my friend's home & there is no progress so far.

Sir, recently my friend met me & updated me about the Lambi, the mechanic has lost/ misplaced the engine parts in his garage. The mechanic is not showing any interest in getting the engine fixed, nor does he have all parts to return the scooter to us. Although we know him for years, he is not speaking up openly & that's why the whole project has not moved so far. Last month my friend wanted to sell this Lambi for some financial issues he was facing & he requested me to assemble it back, that's when I got to know the whole issue with the mechanic friend. without the engine & wiring no body will buy just the body.

The parts are all at my friend's home & there is no progress so far.
[anger] This the most disgusting part with mechanics. They neither keep up the committed time lines no keep the stuff safe. Can you evaluate what all parts are missing. There was a Bangalorian in FB who was selling off his Lambretta engine alone. Wiring is not a problem. You can still get an NOS one. Else make one yourselves with 6 meters of wire & some bullet connectors.

Hi, I am a new joinee for this forum.. Does any one modified the Lambretta / GP 150 to accommodate electric starter.?
Thanks
Nagaraj

Vijay Super GP 150 -- Any Idea / tricks to make the leg shield - perfect looking as mine has bends not properly aligned.?
thinking to fix up LED Indicators onto it.. [Suggestions, welcome]

Hi, I am a new joinee for this forum.. Does any one modified the Lambretta / GP 150 to accommodate electric starter.?
Thanks
Nagaraj

Vijay Super GP 150 -- Any Idea / tricks to make the leg shield - perfect looking as mine has bends not properly aligned.?
thinking to fix up LED Indicators onto it.. [Suggestions, welcome]
Hello Naga,
Welcome to the forum.
Yes I explored (almost tried), but didn't implement.
1) How? - Bajaj 3 wheeler flywheel + starter motor fits in place of the Lambretta flywheel
2) Why? - The only option to place the starter motor is from the lower side. This will reduce the ground clearance and the bendix housing facing upwards will give way for water to get collected after a wash.
Tried & Failed - LML Vespa flywheel is too big. TVS king flywheel is also too big.
I would recommend you to give a try with a one-way clutch arrangement and a chain driven motor from Honda motorcycles. Explore chances of installing the motor on the chain cover. All the best.
If you are tight on funds I would suggest you to be content with a CDI upgrade.

Hello Naga,
Welcome to the forum.
Yes I explored (almost tried), but didn't implement.
1) How? - Bajaj 3 wheeler flywheel + starter motor fits in place of the Lambretta flywheel
2) Why? - The only option to place the starter motor is from the lower side. This will reduce the ground clearance and the bendix housing facing upwards will give way for water to get collected after a wash.
Tried & Failed - LML Vespa flywheel is too big. TVS king flywheel is also too big.
I would recommend you to give a try with a one-way clutch arrangement and a chain driven motor from Honda motorcycles. Explore chances of installing the motor on the chain cover. All the best.
If you are tight on funds I would suggest you to be content with a CDI upgrade.
Hello Ilangop,

A very cool idea, (the electric starter) which I shall try on my '82 Bajaj Super, restored as under...

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/nostalgic-era/24056-restored-my-bajaj-super-82-a.html

I will do the mods as a retirement project, in a couple of years, if i'am not mistaken the later chetak models had 12V ES, so wiring harness & starter motor and handle should be a straight lift, will surely need your inputs then.

regards

Vinod

Thanks Ilangop..!!
For sharing your views - now I got two options of fixing a starter.. as you well said about the ground clearance and watering issue (this really bothers and appreciate your vision)
secondly on chain cover.. need to evaluate feasibility as well, I may need to do googling else, if you have any readily available information.. please share.
I am in process of adding up battery to my scooter..!! mine is 1993 Vijay Super Mark 2...

A very cool idea, (the electric starter) which I shall try on my '82 Bajaj Super
Dear Vinod Sir,

Replied here.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-restored-my-bajaj-super-82-a.html#post475558

secondly on chain cover.. need to evaluate feasibility as well, I may need to do googling else, if you have any readily available information.. please share.
I am in process of adding up battery to my scooter..!! mine is 1993 Vijay Super Mark 2...
I love the looks of Mk-II. My dad has a 1985 Mk-II back in TN. IMG_20140310_182349.jpg
Mine in Pune is a 1983 Mk-I has a battery with full DC setup. All lamps, & horn work directly from the battery. No need to start the engine. Check this post.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ic-restoration-modification-6.html#post442472
Naga, please start an ownership thread for your Vijai Mk-II, Let us not highjack this thread.

Dear Vinod Sir,

Replied here.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-restored-my-bajaj-super-82-a.html#post475558

I love the looks of Mk-II. My dad has a 1985 Mk-II back in TN. View attachment 187168
Mine in Pune is a 1983 Mk-I has a battery with full DC setup. All lamps, & horn work directly from the battery. No need to start the engine. Check this post.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ic-restoration-modification-6.html#post442472
Naga, please start an ownership thread for your Vijai Mk-II, Let us not highjack this thread.
Dear Ilangop,

Many thanks for the quick response, your Vijay Super looks very nice, I too had a '79 model, sold when I got the Bajaj Super.

Regards

Vinod

Top Bottom