Restoration of API Lambretta

Man, its tempting me to do something like this. I have never done it. I think even my father used to buy old one and restore it with perfect tinkering and painting. Un fortunatly I do not have any pics. anyway let me ask my sis to check for some images at home [all my parents belogings are with my sis.] hope am lucky to get one atleast.

And may be in another couple of months let me get one for myself. let me wait and see.

Thread Starter #17
All the best Sethu, I will love to see one with you.

By the way the engine oil from the Lamby's Engine had leaked during night, as I had kept the engine upside down [frustration]. SO early morning brought some sand & spread it over the oil. My mini garage's floor is in very bad shape & slippery now.

But what to do, all this is a part of the restoration experience [glasses]

Thread Starter #18
Sorry guys for the late update. Here is the progress till now.
I purchased a Sander cum polisher machine for 2.5K & started off sanding all the old body work, then wiped them with thinner, sprayed Oil based Auto Primer (used petrol to dilute it) & then the first coat of N.C.Paint (White colour). The finishing was not up to our expectations so we applied N.C.Putty & sanded them to smoothen & give an even surface, but we applied too much and the output was again below our expectations. We will sand the side shields, front body work & nose etc and do a better primer + putty + base paint + Final Coat+ Clear coat work. We have spent a lot of time, doing this all these days. We badly needed a break so did not touch it for today, will start again by tomorrow evening.

Pictures will do the talking now

Sanding in progress (3).JPG

Sanding in progress (4).JPG

Sanding in progress (5).JPG
Sanding process

Sanded parts (4).JPG

sandingg.JPG

Sanded parts (9).JPG

Sanded parts (5).JPG

Sanded parts (7).JPG

Sanding completed (4).JPG

Sanding completed (3).JPG

Sanding completed (2).JPG
The above pictures are 90% sanded parts, edges & corners need sanding using hand + sand paper + wooden block.

Oil  primer.JPG
The oil based auto primer

Primer painted (1).JPG

Primer painted (2).JPG

Primer painted (3).JPG

Primer painted (4).JPG
Primer applied to all parts [:)]

More pictures coming soon...

Attachments

Anand, you are tempting me man. Yours is comming very well. Hope to see the final product ASAP.

I do not know will i get a nice mechanic who could help in restroration. I need time also.

I really appreciate the work which you have done, keep up the good work buddy pls share the cost and effort involved once after your work is complete.

Thread Starter #25
WOW looking good, are painting it in white ? I guess all the painted parts are not yet clear coated as I cant see the shining ..
The final colour will be White & Red. White will cover the Chassy, internals parts (like fuel tank, air filter box etc) & Main front shield. Red will cover the Side shields, Nose, Top of the handle bar etc. Center stand, brakes lever, clutch lever will be Chrome, The clutch sover will be buffed (aluminium part).

This is just the first coat (N.C.paint) applied, on top of this there is Putty work, then final coat (P.U.paint) then comes the clear coat.

Anand, you are tempting me man. Yours is comming very well. Hope to see the final product ASAP.

I do not know will i get a nice mechanic who could help in restroration. I need time also.
There are very reliable mechanics in Tamil Nadu too (especially Coimbatore), in Bangalore one of my friend's close friend is a mechanic and he is taking care of reboring etc for this Lamby's engine. Sourcing one good mechanic for a Lamby is a tough task, but I am sure you will find one.

The painting job is a hell lot of patience needed work. You guys are doing great! All the very best!! I'm pinned to this thread now. [:)]
Thanks a lot Sreejesh, I will post at the end of the restoration project the mistakes I did (silly ones that sets back our pace for good amount of time) & the solutions for the same. Yes you are right painting isn't easy, patience is a must.

I really appreciate the work which you have done, keep up the good work buddy pls share the cost and effort involved once after your work is complete.
I will post a break up of the total cost, time taken (if possible - very difficult though), spare parts list, etc at the end of the restoration.

There is a lot I learnt from the Paintshop owner, who also visits us & guides on doing things better.

Center stand, brakes lever, clutch lever will be Chrome, The clutch sover will be buffed (aluminium part).

This is just the first coat (N.C.paint) applied, on top of this there is Putty work, then final coat (P.U.paint) then comes the clear coat.

There are very reliable mechanics in Tamil Nadu too (especially Coimbatore), in Bangalore one of my friend's close friend is a mechanic and he is taking care of reboring etc for this Lamby's engine.
Hello SS80, I have been following your thread. I have personally restored 2 Vijai Supers, 1 Li 150 & a Lamby. I have also purchased parts for my scooter at Balaji through my friends in Bangalore. He is a nice guy.
Just my suggestions here.
1. Chrome plate the centre stand, It will look nice. But check once if the stand keeps the front wheel up in the air or else do the welding rituals before plating.
2. Never chrome plate over aluminium parts like the clutch lever and gear rotor. It will simply peel off over time. You can buff it and spray a clear coat to retain the shine.
3. Check with your painter if PU paint will properly adhere over the NC base coat. If there is a problem or chemistry mismatch, the final coat will form blisters.
4. You can actually rebuild the engine by yourself. All you need is a clutch compressor which any grill works welder can make for you, And a flywheel puller. Just give a thought. I can help you over this forum.

For the side strips, get one done from a Number plate guy. The wiring junction box behind the head lamp, is it not seen in the picture or missing?
Let me know if you want to DIY rewind the coil for a DC system or higher current.

Boost bottle, Grooving, Exhaus-tec are all some simple home made upgrades which can give you some performance improvements.
My Vijai Super has a grooved engine head and runs on a 24 mm Mikuni carb (from a Bullet).

Regards,
Ilango P

Thread Starter #27
Hello SS80, I have been following your thread. I have personally restored 2 Vijai Supers, 1 Li 150 & a Lamby. I have also purchased parts for my scooter at Balaji through my friends in Bangalore. He is a nice guy.
Just my suggestions here.
1. Chrome plate the centre stand, It will look nice. But check once if the stand keeps the front wheel up in the air or else do the welding rituals before plating.
2. Never chrome plate over aluminium parts like the clutch lever and gear rotor. It will simply peel off over time. You can buff it and spray a clear coat to retain the shine.
3. Check with your painter if PU paint will properly adhere over the NC base coat. If there is a problem or chemistry mismatch, the final coat will form blisters.
4. You can actually rebuild the engine by yourself. All you need is a clutch compressor which any grill works welder can make for you, And a flywheel puller. Just give a thought. I can help you over this forum.

For the side strips, get one done from a Number plate guy. The wiring junction box behind the head lamp, is it not seen in the picture or missing?
Let me know if you want to DIY rewind the coil for a DC system or higher current.

Boost bottle, Grooving, Exhaus-tec are all some simple home made upgrades which can give you some performance improvements.
My Vijai Super has a grooved engine head and runs on a 24 mm Mikuni carb (from a Bullet).

Regards,
Ilango P
Hi Ilango, you are very knowledgeble in restoration work. I know how much effort it takes to do this & you have done 4! I was quite worried about those Aluminium parts, good that you are sharing your experience here.

I am the painter for this Lambi [:)] I am taking basic lessons & advice from our Paintshop (Paint sales shop) owner & executing the task. The engine rebuild is done by one of my friend's friend (He's a mechanic) as I am really not that good in that area.

Yes the P.U. paint will stick to the N.C.Coat (as advised the by the shop person). However I will keep an eye for those blisters. In case it happens what's the solution? Is it to scrap everything & start again?

The wiring junction box behind the head lamp, is it not seen in the picture or missing
I dont know about this part, can you please share a picture of this?

Center stand welding is done (it was cracked), yet to fix it & see if this is keeping the front wheel up.

Welcome to TAI (a little late though [;)]).

Is the lamby painted ?
eager to see the final outcome.

For surface check , apply degreaser and watch it under a tube light for reflection , any irregularities , just use some putty , if its small , use the quick setting tube putty from dupond or standox.

Take you own time in painting , select proper paint and spray using a hvlp gun , that do add to fine painting.

SS80!! wow, this scooter was my first one, when I was learning the driving and I used for quite some time, it was really funny driving it and was very famous during my college days when some body has one !!
Eagerly waiting to see it after restoration !!

Top Bottom