Required MUV / SUV in 11 Lacs Budget

Thread Starter #1
Hey fellow members

On a lookout for a new car for the family. Basically to be driven by Dad.
We are a family of 4. We have 3 vehicles in our garage
1. Ford Fiesta diesel Clxi (May 2011)
2. Hyundai Verna Sx 1.6VTVT (Oct 2011)
3. Volkswagen Polo Tdi (Apr 2012)

Everyone in my family is a travel maniac and we never leave an oppurtunity to go out for long road trips. My dad is a driving enthusiast and loves driving down to new places and terrains. He is never in favour of hiring cabs or taxis and takes his own car where ever he goes.

All our cars are in brand new condition with hardly any kilometers on board in all 3 of them.Fiesta has clocked 17k kms, Verna has done 8k kms and Polo 6k kms.
Now the need for an upgrade comes as all three of the cars are short on ground clearance and it becomes really difficult for us to take them onto the rough unknown highway roads sometimes limiting the trips to some places.

Now my father gave me a call two days back and said that start looking out for a SUV/MUV for him. Such a vehicle that he could take in any terrain and he doesn't have to worry about the ground clearance issues. We also plan to do a Leh/Ladakh trip next year hopefully in the same car.

Now the possible buy would be somewhere around December or January, not before that. But I need to start looking out for the options available to us.

Mostly the Ford Fiesta Classic which has done only 17k kms in 15months would be sold off in exchange to the new car. Though I don't want that to happen coz I just love driving it whenever I get the chance to. Its such a gem of a car with amazing ride and handling and unbelievable FE.
Dad has given a rough budget of around 11lacs in total.

Had the budget been a little higher it would have been a no brainer and we would have gone for the XUV 500 W6 variant which comes to around 12.25lacs on road here in Chandigarh.

Now the options which come to mind which fit in the budget according to preference are -

1. Toyota Innova 2.5G variant - 10.39L ex-showroom - it is devoid of all safety features and doesn't even come with an In-built Music system. Just has Power windows and power steering and of course the reliable Toyota badge and the comfort of Innova. Add on accessories like Touch screen HU with nice speakers and a set of elegant alloy wheels can make it look really nice. But still would be devoid of safety features.

2. Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDI - ex showroom 8.6L - comes with all safety features like airbags, ABS etc but has a puny engine as compared to the Innova. I am not to sure about the engine capabilities of this car. Will this car be able to do uphill trips without being felt underpowered. Ground clearance seems to be better than Innova's though.If the engine is capable of pulling uphill drives without any fuss with just 4 on board , I guess the Ertiga should make perfect sense for us.

3. Renault Duster RXL 110- 9.99L ex showroom. It is again devoid of all safety features. But has a butch look to it and that sporty feel that it can be thrown around anywhere. Though my Dad doesn't like the unconventional looks of the Duster , I find it very appealing. Haven't driven it yet.

4. Mahindra Scorpio VLX - 10.4L ex showroom . It comes with the maximum features like cruise control, voice control and all safety features as well and comes with a proven engine but the interior plastic fit and finish is a big let down. Plus its been in the market for quite some time now and would not give that new car feeling I guess. Dad is sold of on this one as one of his colleagues have the same model and he has driven the Scorpio for 1-2 long drives also and is really comfortable with the driving position and the ride. I am not too convinced about buying a Scorpio!!

5. Tata Safari GX - 10.6L ex showroom . Going to be replaced soon with the Safari Storme and I really don't like the looks of the upcoming model. I prefer the current model but again its too outdated now IMO.

6. Wait for Ford Ecosport - IMO its too funky looking. To see my Dad driving the ecosport it would feel really odd. I can picture myself driving it but the thought of my Dad driving it doesn't go down too well. Though he's very young at heart but still he can't be seen driving something so funky around to his meetings and conferences.

7. Pre-owned Skoda Yeti. Though I'm really skeptical that I'll even find a used Yeti for 11lacs and it'll be even harder to convince Dad to go for a pre-owned car, I'm still keeping it as an option because I love the practicality which the skoda yeti holds. It'll be perfect for a family like ours who don't really need the third row seats.

Force one and Mahindra Xylo are not being considered also. Nissan Evalia would also be launching sometime soon but I'm not a fan of the van looks. So that is also out of contention.

Which car would make a sensible buy?

Re: Required MUV/SUV in 11lacs budget

Looking at the all, I feel the Skoda Yeti will be best suited to your father. Its scores in everything and it really gives a rich look to your father while he drives it anywhere !! see for this either a pre-owned or a new one(offered lot of discount these days). Also this is one of my best UV with good visibility all around, nice seating position and easy to drive not like the bigger other SUV's

Thread Starter #3
Re: Required MUV/SUV in 11lacs budget

Looking at the all, I feel the Skoda Yeti will be best suited to your father. Its scores in everything and it really gives a rich look to your father while he drives it anywhere !! see for this either a pre-owned or a new one(offered lot of discount these days). Also this is one of my best UV with good visibility all around, nice seating position and easy to drive not like the bigger other SUV's
Yes even I prefer the Yeti but it would be really difficult to get a pre-owned one for that price and if I do also it'll take a hell lot of an effort from my side to convince my father for a used car. I will definitely check out what offers are available for the Yeti but I guess it'll be like stretching way too far. Let's see.

You have time till dec - jan right ?
So wait the mahindra mini xylo ( quanto) it will be realized on 20 September .
Strome will be released hopefully by Diwali and check the car in real and see .
But if you don't like any of the above cars after test driving them .
I would suggest to try and spend a little extra and o for xuv since its a fresh car the resale might be better in long run too . But if you can't stretch the budget then my suggestion to you would be Scorpio which already your dad likes .

Hey fellow members

I can picture myself driving it but the thought of my Dad driving it doesn't go down too well. Though he's very young at heart but still he can't be seen driving something so funky around to his meetings and conferences.
My suggestion was purely based on this[:)], where Yeti fits so well, Yes I agree on the budge issue here. Check they have released some 4x2 model recently with lesser price.

But As Raja suggested you can wait for TATA Storm which according to me gives a very bold and rich look for your father and other one is Fortuner but it is again costly and looks very heavy to drive[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
You have time till dec - jan right ?
So wait the mahindra mini xylo ( quanto) it will be realized on 20 September .
Strome will be released hopefully by Diwali and check the car in real and see .
But if you don't like any of the above cars after test driving them .
I would suggest to try and spend a little extra and o for xuv since its a fresh car the resale might be better in long run too . But if you can't stretch the budget then my suggestion to you would be Scorpio which already your dad likes .
Yes we have time till december january. Mostly we will be taking the 2013 model only I suppose unless and until we come across some great deal for the year end models.

Not interested in the mini Xylo. But yes will be waiting for the new safari storme launch. Will check out the car in person, though I don't like the looks from what I've seen in pictures.

Even I'll try convincing Dad to up the budget a little as we still have some time to get the finances in place and go for the XUV500 W6. If that doesn't happen I think we might just go for either Innova or Scorpio. I am really eager to know how is the Ertiga performance wise? I mean can you really take it to a place like Leh/ladakh. It surely is selling like hot cakes.

Yes we have time till december january. Mostly we will be taking the 2013 model only I suppose unless and until we come across some great deal for the year end models.

Not interested in the mini Xylo. But yes will be waiting for the new safari storme launch. Will check out the car in person, though I don't like the looks from what I've seen in pictures.

Even I'll try convincing Dad to up the budget a little as we still have some time to get the finances in place and go for the XUV500 W6. If that doesn't happen I think we might just go for either Innova or Scorpio. I am really eager to know how is the Ertiga performance wise? I mean can you really take it to a place like Leh/ladakh. It surely is selling like hot cakes.
Look people have taken indicas , maruti 800 , sumos , boleros , Innova , safari Scorpio all kind of vehicles to leh Ladakh .

The point is which car will do it effortlessly , so it's obivious that any 4x4 will do it the best , then any car with good power ( compared to the weight this is imp ) and with good ground clearance will do it .

I find ertiga capable of doing it it can do it for sure but again depends how many people , baggage is in the car if we keep the same luggage and passengers in a Innova it will pull more effortless then ertiga and safari , strome , Scorpio , xuv will do it in much effortless way then Innova and ertiga .
So consider this things in mind .

My suggestion to you is wait till December , till then read all the travelogues across the web about leh Ladakh and see what kind of vehicles people have taken and driven there .

It will give you pretty much better idea of all the vehicles and their capabilities .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
Thanks Gurrala74 and Raja. Yes very true that Innova and scorpio will pull more effortlessly than Ertiga. Haven't thought about 4x4 and I'll ask Dad about that requirement.
Skoda Yeti 4x2 prices start at 14lacs ex-showroom. Will be looking at year end discounts. But even if the max. discounts reach 1- 1.5lac plus, still it would be costing more than the initial budget.

The car would be basically used in the city for most of the times with I guess once a month trip on highways. Would be doing 1000-1200kms a month.
My preferences are XUV500 and Skoda Yeti but both are a little out of budget at present. The only car in the budget which seems to be making sense to me is Innova 2.5G but the drawback is the lack of safety features which can't be overlooked. Scorpio VLX and Ertiga ZDI come with all the safety features. Ertiga being close to 2 lacs cheaper in price but the drawback being the engine as compared to the bigger rivals. Scorpio makes the most sense but I am not too keen on getting it because its a little older model now and the uplifted model has been in the market for close to 5years now. Waiting for the Safari Storme to launch so that it could be compared with the current offerings.

Thanks Gurrala74 and Raja. Yes very true that Innova and scorpio will pull more effortlessly than Ertiga. Haven't thought about 4x4 and I'll ask Dad about that requirement.
Skoda Yeti 4x2 prices start at 14lacs ex-showroom. Will be looking at year end discounts. But even if the max. discounts reach 1- 1.5lac plus, still it would be costing more than the initial budget.

The car would be basically used in the city for most of the times with I guess once a month trip on highways. Would be doing 1000-1200kms a month.
My preferences are XUV500 and Skoda Yeti but both are a little out of budget at present. The only car in the budget which seems to be making sense to me is Innova 2.5G but the drawback is the lack of safety features which can't be overlooked. Scorpio VLX and Ertiga ZDI come with all the safety features. Ertiga being close to 2 lacs cheaper in price but the drawback being the engine as compared to the bigger rivals. Scorpio makes the most sense but I am not too keen on getting it because its a little older model now and the uplifted model has been in the market for close to 5years now. Waiting for the Safari Storme to launch so that it could be compared with the current offerings.
If I was you I would have decided only between xuv , ecosport and strome and duster .
Strome - compete new mechanicals inside .the base model will have optional abs too ,and optional 4x4 incase you need .And solid new suspensions for excellent ride quality and handling .

Xuv - though not a full flesh off roader it has all the gizmos you can dream of and get abs and 2 airbags .

Ecosport - will be a fun suv to drive with great styling .and who knows your dad would love it more then anything .

In all possibilities I think you dont need a 4x4 .

Just take a look on this videos

Dacia Duster review off-road - Auto Express - YouTube

YouTube - Ford EcoSport exclusive video review by Autocar India

TATA Safari Storme - New launch of SUV India - YouTube

Buddy my advise is simple and straight.
Go for Scorpio if you want nothing else except 7 seats.

Go for Duster RxZ 110 if you drive yourself and want a car that rides better than some sedans and handles like bliss.

Thread Starter #11
Thanks Raja for those videos. Well now I am more eager to see the ecosport and the safari storme in person. Will be taking a test drive of the Duster soon somewhere in next week when Dad will also be here.

TSIVipul No the requirement is not for a 7 seater by any means. We just need a decent car to be self driven mostly to be run in city but with higher ground clearance for the occassional highway trips.

Duster Rxz 110 would be costing upwards of 11.8L on road here. And the lower variants do not come with safety features. That's why I had Scorpio which has the safety features in my list. Let's see will be taking a test drive of the Duster soon with Dad and see his reaction to it. Fingers crossed.

Looking at the given choices the Ertiga makes most sense. It has a Maruti service center support behind it plus the Ertiga diesel from other peoples' reviews looks like has a good pulling power.
Top it all, you get a brand new car with 2 year warantee which a used Skoda Yeti may not have.
Innova would have been my first choice, but with saftey features lacking (as you mentioned), better to go in for a loaded Ertiga than for low end Innova.

My vote goes for Scorpio, it's a no brainer, scorpio is a proven model and over the year's Mahindra has refined this product when you are putting a million rupees on a car you can't overlook the safety feature's.neither Duster nor Innova sound's value compared to the Scorpio.

Buddy I would advIce you to keep Strome in the list as well since you are not in a hurry to buy a car right now which means you have ample of time which is a good thing. So by If that time Strome launches than we will definitely have a couple of ownership reviews and you will see the true colors of the car and if you like it then you can go ahead with it.

Otherwise my second choice would be Scorpio VLX as your dad likes the car as well.

With all your advise and comparisons, In my opinion nothing beats Skoda Yeti for its looks, driving pleasure, built quality and lot more, though it is priced bit high but its worth buy.

After this, I look for two things Storm & Ecosport !!

These Scorpio and Innova are really boring and dated

I do not think Ertiga will be compared with the above, it is completely different vehicle all together

Top Bottom