Replacing the Tyres of Maruti Alto

Ilango likes taking risks. :biggrin:
BTW, I would like to highlight the fact that -
Tyres have to be changed every few years (Ideally 5). An unused tyre, say something lying in a stockyard for say, even 6 months and about an year, is not the same as an unused tyre that is brand new, or say about a month old. This is because of the nature of rubber, the main substance used in tyres, which causes tyres to expand, contract and such, under heat, moisture and such, even when the tyre has not been 'used' yet. This is why you might find cracks and such even on a relativeley new tyre. This is precisely why I got my M800's tyres replaced after just about 35000km & 5-6 years of usage. The treads were near perfect, and there were chippings only on 2 of the tyres.
Please feel free to comment if I am wrong in any sense, or you beg to differ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I am looking to change my Alto LX Tyres after completing almost 40k kms in 5.5 years. Currently running MRF Radials on Stock rims. I primarily use the car in the city and have a budget of 2-2.5k per tyre.

Any suggestions ?

Regards

Hello Akshay,
First of all, a very warm welcome to The Automotive India.
Now coming to your query, before i suggest you anything, would you let us know what kind of roads do you drive on?

Thanks for the welcome.

I currently reside in Mumbai and as mentioned 80% of my drive is in the city from home to office and back in peak hour traffic. I would like tyres that would give me good ride quality and decent braking and handling.

Regards

Since your driving is mainly in city, and i believe the roads are pretty decent, i would suggest you go for Michelin XM1+. I am not sure whether it will fit in your budget. I think you will have to extend your budget slightly. Michelins provide excellent grip along with higher comfort levels. However these worn out earlier than Bridgestone.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I was going through the forum and some one had posted the cost of Michelin's as 1950 per tyre. Could you guys tell me wat michelin's or bridgestones will cost in Mumbai and good place to get them from, preferably close to Juhu / Santacruz.

Also kindly suggest optimum size. I do not plan to upsize my rims at the moment.

Regards

I was going through the forum and some one had posted the cost of Michelin's as 1950 per tyre. Could you guys tell me wat michelin's or bridgestones will cost in Mumbai and good place to get them from, preferably close to Juhu / Santacruz.

Also kindly suggest optimum size. I do not plan to upsize my rims at the moment.

Regards
i also have an alto, 2004 model, had MRF Z... Tyres of 145/80 R12 tyres, it ran 38000kms with them, then i upgraded to Yokohama A-Drive 165/65/R13 and Pleasure Alloys, and they look awesome, the ride has greatly improved, stability, looks, but i have hard steering now(non power s.), but i am used to it [lol]

Attachments

This is a cool offer! But i wish the same offer was on Michelin, i would have surely swapped my Altos rubbers even if it hasnt worn out(Though i am going for it sometime in this year).

apollo acceleres are great tyres. they are good performance tyres for those who are on a budget. but sadly acceleres don't come in 12inches. they start from 13inches. for 12" in apollo you could have a look at the apollo amazer xl(one of the maruti OE ones). else try to get wagon-R rims and go for 13inchers.
another option is to go for wider BS tyres on stock rims. 155/70R12. but since these are lower profile ones, the ride will be a bit harsh and since your car is not equipped with a PS, you may feel it a bit difficult to steer.

Regards
I think that would be quite a steal if you get it for INR 1950. In bangalore they quote between 2250 - 2350 for xm1+. Iam still in a dilema on whether to fit xm1+ or turanza ER 60

Top Bottom