Repairing Windshield Crack

Thread Starter #17
@deville_56 @Nairrk @Suryaputhra @CRACING @Dr MUDHAN @bhvm

Hope you are all well respected sir's. That particular crack was repaired to that extent only as I posted in the images above. As my state has great roads so got a rock chip again. Trust me within the past one month almost everyone got a rock chip in my locality. WE is my city doesn't do crack repair at all. They will always tell the customer to get the windshield replaced no matter what. If someone presses them to repair it, they will quote around 4-5k but will confuse the customer saying that there is no guarantee of the outcome.
Few things-

1. When we get the windshield replaced the ncb becomes zero. The ncb helps in getting the discount only while renewing a policy, right? 10% ncb means 10% discount and 20% means 20% off and so on. Is that correct?

2. Those glass ppf's by 3m and other companies which can be installed both on the interior and exterior glass, do they help in lessening the impact of rock chips? The interior one's are used to combat the uv rays afaik.

3. Has anyone taken multiple windshield claims in a year?

4. Is there any cheap alternative for Permatex windshield repair kit? There is only one seller who's selling it online and the price is way too high considering it is for one time use only. Anyone used the rain-x kit?

Now I am seriously considering the windshield replacement. The service centre is quoting us 25k including gst and labour. But they are marking up the price I am sure as they are the only service centre for Skoda here. WE is not quoting any price. They, for reasons unknown, are telling us to take a claim as it will be covered in insurance. We will have to pay around 4k inspite of the fact that insurance is there in the name of file charges and mandatory sanitization. Anyone knows how much is the windshield cost for an octavia?

@bhvm sir have you made any video about this topic?

deville_56

Honoured Member
1. NCB becomes nil whenever you make a claim. But when the claim amount is more than NCB, it's justified.
3. Multiple claims can be made in the same year, that should include windshield as well. There is a cool-down period between claims (45 days for many insurers) and the total claim amount should be less than IDV.

Assuming yours is a first gen Octavia, the windshield price is around 9k as listed on Boodmo. You have to pay for the processing charges from pocket, which is a norm across all insurers and the amount varies with insurer, car model and age. For Estilo, we used to pay 1k every time. Glue is considered consumable and won't be covered by insurance. For a total ballpark figure of 15k total including labor at WE, you have to shell out this 4k quoted by them.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
When we get the windshield replaced the ncb becomes zero. The ncb helps in getting the discount only while renewing a policy, right? 10% ncb means 10% discount and 20% means 20% off and so on. Is that correct?
NCB is a kind of reward that the car insurance providers provide to their customers who do not file any claim in a policy year. Normally, You start by gaining a 20% NCB discount if you haven’t made any claims for your first policy year. Consequently, you keep gaining an additional 5% from your second consecutive year of making no claims. This can go about a reduction of 50% in your sixth consecutive year.

So, calculate what you will earn NCB in your next insurance premium and what could be the repair cost. If the repair cost is much more than the NCB amount then do the repair under insurance or just pay cash and keep the policy clean and earn NCB.

Thread Starter #20
@deville_56 @Nairrk
Thank you. I have the current policy in hand. Can you please explain how can I have an idea about the ncb amount? Sorry zero knowledge about these things.
@deville_56 9k for the windshield the service centre is quoting 25k. Power of monopoly. I wonder why WE is not quoting us anything. They are just saying to take insurance and forget about everything.
Is there any website that sells things related to automobiles? Windshield repair kit is not available on boodmo.

Thread Starter #22
Usually, Policy certificate itself will show the NCB amount (under the Own damage section- normally it will be 20 or 25% on basic OD premium)
Is it also mentioned as bonus? 25%. In current policy 25% has been deducted from basic own damage of 15650. Does the own damage part increase every year?
Called the insurance company, they said that glass is 100% covered minus glue, fitting, filing charges etc. and after 3 years when the zero dep period is over it is only covered for about 50%. Can't one have zero dep add on after the third year? Is it recommended?
The repir kit for one time use is around 3k. Glass is 14k last, @deville_56 confirmed from WE customer support. They said they are owned by asi so their rate is the cheapest. About pricing at Boodmo they said that they cannot confirm about the authenticity of the same. Even if it is original 9k+labour will cost around 11k I think. Need to confirm from the service centre whether the glass they were offering was from asi or from saint gobain.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Is it also mentioned as bonus? 25%.
Yes, No Claim Bonus.

In current policy 25% has been deducted from basic own damage of 15650. Does the own damage part increase every year?
I think it will be less next year because the IDV of the car will also be less next year (unless you want to show a higher IDV in such case the premium will be high) and the basic premium calculated on the basis of IDV.

Can't one have zero dep add on after the third year? Is it recommended?
I think, you can opt for a zero depreciation if the car is less than 5 years (please double check with your insurance company).
Yes, Zero dep is beneficial, but the premium will be higher than normal insurance. Zero depreciation car insurance policy offers 100% coverage for all fibre, rubber and metal parts without deduction of depreciation. It does not cover engine damage due to water ingression or oil leakage. Any mechanical breakdown, oil change or consumables are also not covered in this policy.

Thread Starter #24
Yes, No Claim Bonus.
I think it will be less next year because the IDV of the car will also be less next year (unless you want to show a higher IDV in such case the premium will be high) and the basic premium calculated on the basis of IDV.
I think, you can opt for a zero depreciation if the car is less than 5 years (please double check with your insurance company).
Yes, Zero dep is beneficial, but the premium will be higher than normal insurance. Zero depreciation car insurance policy offers 100% coverage for all fibre, rubber and metal parts without deduction of depreciation. It does not cover engine damage due to water ingression or oil leakage. Any mechanical breakdown, oil change or consumables are also not covered in this policy.
Thanks respected sir. So, say if the basic is 14000 next year even then the discount of 4900 is less than price of the windshield so it's better to go for claim.
I have discussed with many companies but all of them said that zero dep is for first 3 years. Some companies, lesser known companies mostly, do provide zero dep after the third year but it's very very expensive. Final questions-
1. If one opts for a comprehensive insurance then is glass/windshield fully covered? Compulsory deduction will be there.
2. Aftermarket people have glass of either ais or of saint gobain. How to make sure that the glass that they are fitting is that of same quality as the preinstalled one? I am a total noob in this. Also if we change the glass from the market during warranty then will it void the warranty?
An out of context question, as insurance premiums are rising each year then does it make sense to buy the insurance for 2-4 years in one go?

Nairrk

Honoured Member
1. If one opts for a comprehensive insurance then is glass/windshield fully covered? Compulsory deduction will be there
Claim in case of windshield damage is usually case-specific and based on the Insurance company's terms & conditions. Check the terms & conditions written in your insurance policy or talk to someone (customer support) in the insurance company.

2. Aftermarket people have glass of either ais or of saint gobain. How to make sure that the glass that they are fitting is that of same quality as the preinstalled one? I am a total noob in this. Also if we change the glass from the market during warranty then will it void the warranty?
The only way to confirm the glass is original is to see if the company (saint Gobin.. or) seal is there in the glass. But, if you fix it from the dealer, then you can always make a claim in the future if any problem with the glass, but this benefit may not be there when you do it with aftermarket.

Regarding warranty - Changing the windshield is not going to affect the car mechanically or electrically - So, does the warranty matter comes up here.!? I doubt. Let us wait for opinion from other members.

An out of context question, as insurance premiums are rising each year then does it make sense to buy the insurance for 2-4 years in one go?
Any Insurance company issuing 2-4 year policy in one go now? Last year when I renewed my scooter, insurance, I took it for 2 years. But, last month when I renewed my car policy, I got only one year renewal as they said long period policy is not available

Thread Starter #26
@Nairrk
Regarding warranty - Changing the windshield is not going to affect the car mechanically or electrically - So, does the warranty matter comes up here.!? I doubt. Let us wait for opinion from other members.
Had a word with someone who works in the service centre. He sent me the pdf shared here Extended Warranty He said that if the windshield is changed from the market then the company has the right to deny warranty. Also he said that the price of the windshield is around 14-18 but the dealership is selling to customers at present at 35000+gst.

Any Insurance company issuing 2-4 year policy in one go now? Last year when I renewed my scooter, insurance, I took it for 2 years. But, last month when I renewed my car policy, I got only one year renewal as they said long period policy is not available

My friend renewed his tata suv for 2 years few months back. Will ask him which company was that.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Also he said that the price of the windshield is around 14-18 but the dealership is selling to customers at present at 35000+gst.
That's how a dealer makes money because customers have no other choice. If you fix aftermarket then no warranty - if you go to the dealer pay what they ask. !

My friend renewed his tata suv for 2 years few months back. Will ask him which company was that.
Few months back? - Check exactly when (may be before August 1, 2020). I have renewed my car in the middle of August and it was for one year only.

Read here for the notification.

Thread Starter #29
That's how a dealer makes money because customers have no other choice. If you fix aftermarket then no warranty - if you go to the dealer pay what they ask. !
Few months back? - Check exactly when (may be before August 1, 2020). I have renewed my car in the middle of August and it was for one year only.
Read here for the notification.
I am not able to find out how much will kotak and hdfc insurance pay in case of comprehensive insurance, no dep cap, for a windshield. Requested for a call back but haven't received any yet.
I will ask him when did he renew and will get back to you.

Top Bottom