Renault Lodgy Review & Pictures: Lodgycal Innovation

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

The new Renault Lodgy is soon going to have some additional variants as it is planned to be exported to countries with R.H.D as confirmed by CEO and MD of Renault India Mr. Sawhney. Additionally, he hinted that once Lodgy gains foothold among the private owners then it can also be put as fleet model for commercial use.

Sawhney also said that he would not cordon off the Lodgy’s reach to personal car owners. “We are in process to register the Lodgy as a taxi” he added, saying that the product must first gain acceptability with Indian customer before it can be a venerable fleet model commanding good recall.
source

Regards

Akash

Sorry for the delay guys!
Finally here's My review of the Renault Lodgy:

Initial Impressions: In person, the Lodgy looks really big, as big as the Innova. There is a positive and clean impression on first-look.

Exterior Design: The front of the Lodgy is designed very well for Indian tastes, with nice Chrome detailing. But the side profile and rear are plain drab and boxy. The 15-inch wheels seem puny for a car of this size and shape. The XXL wheelbase makes it appear like a Mini-bus. Most buyers will up-size the tires I guess. The best angle to view the car is it's Front three-quarters. Sometimes the car's bonnet, windscreen angle and cabin doesn't seem to be in proper proportions with each other. Also, the placement of indicator lights on the fenders is very dated. Surely it's not as bad as the Honda Mobilio or the Nissan Evalia in terms of looks.
7/10 (Fine if you don't consider looks as a priority)

Build quality and Strength: The sheet-metal on this car is quite strong (and heavy) and exterior build quality is better than Ertiga and Mobilio but some cheap bits like the flap-type door-handles and cheap plastics around windscreen are not good. In fact, the door-handles are poorly finished with sharp edges that tend to scratch your fingers.
8/10 (Built well but not-so-well finished)

Interior design, Quality and Features: As we get into the cabin, there is a nice, positive ambience with a pleasing combination of beige, grey, black and chrome. The overall design of the dashboard ain't new or stylish, but it does the job well. The positioning of the Touch-screen unit and air-con controls, power-window buttons are fine. The power-mirror joystick has been shifted to the dashboard, on the right side of the driver for convenient access. The air-con controls are seriously weird and irritating to operate. The cruise-control button is placed too low on the center console for easy access as the driver needs to take his/her eyes off the road and bend a bit to switch it ON. The driver-seat adjusting levers are fine except the irritating, cheap metal rod under the seat for adjusting the seat-height. You need to stand up for raising the seat.[anger]
The Instrument cluster is quite boring are very ordinary in design and detailing. The buttons on the steering wheel are well placed, but the audio controls are placed behind the steering-wheel, on the steering column, which needs some "getting-used to". One charging-point is provided for each row of seats and there is a set of air-con blowers for each row as well. The glove-box is placed too low and there is a cheap-looking rotary control for the headlamp level adjustment.
The overall interior quality is quite ordinary and not as good as that of the Ertiga's or Innova's.
8/10 (Nice list of features, but not enough quality)

Space and Comfort: For an MPV, this is the most important criteria. On first look, the front seats are very small for me (Compared to the Ertiga) and the backrest doesn't extend fully upto my shoulders, so there is not enough support for my shoulders and upper-spine. The seating position is fine, but the seats are quite flat. The center armrest is well positioned, but shorter drivers would find it intrusive. Lumbar-support adjustment is quite useful; so is the seat-belt height adjustment.
The footwell is of decent size, but the clutch and brake pedals are quite small in size. There is no dead-pedal on offer and there is no place to rest your left foot either. If you rest your left foot beside the clutch-pedal, it becomes hard to take your foot out. For a car with Cruise control, this is an oversight. The gear-lever is placed well and the rake-adjustment for the steering wheel works fine.
Coming to the second row, its difficult to get your foot inside and is even more difficult to get it out during egress. That's due to the thick B-pillar and intrusive seat-base. You need to twist your foot to get out and that is not good for all. Seat comfort of the Captain seat version is a bit better than the bench-seat version. The middle row seats provide better back and shoulder support than the driver seats, but thigh support is lower. The biggest problem with the middle row (be it the captain seats or bench) is that it is fixed. With me even in the co-passenger seat, there is just 2-3 inches of legroom for the person behind the front passenger seat and with me in the driver seat, the person behind me would have just 1-2 inches of knee-room (I'm around 5'11"). For 6 footers, this would be a BIG problem. In-fact, this could be a serious put off for most customers who need good legroom all-round. The second row seats can be reclined, but the recliner lever is very inconveniently placed on the shoulder of the back-rest.
Getting into the 3rd row is easier than the Ertiga or Mobilio because of the tumbling 2nd row and high roof - low floor combination. Renault has foolishly sacrificed middle-row space for the 3 rd row, which itself isn't comfortable already. The 3rd row has just adequate space for me. But there is absolutely NO leg support or thigh support as the knees point skyward with the seat-base almost on the floor. There are three seat-belts provided, but the 3rd row is good for kids only.
There are separate sets of air-con vents for each row of seats and this aids comfort. Visibility is a BIG plus due to the large and square windows all-round.
7/10 (Not as comfortable or spacious as rivals, despite the XXL dimensions)

Practicality: The Lodgy has a decent sized boot with all 3 rows in place. It can hold 3 airport bags or suitcase easily. Folding the 3rd row gives a flat bay, enough for those Small furniture or even a Wheel-chair. Removing the 3rd row altogether makes it even more spacious. With the 3rd row removed and 2nd row folded, you can easily move house. The big inconvenience is that you need the key to open the Boot every time.
There are around 7/8 bottle holders in the cabin. There is a small storage box integrated into the top of the dashboard. There are a pair of foldable trays attached to the back of the front row seats. They can hold a cup of coffee/water and some snacks.
9/10 (Big on practicality and storage spaces)

Infotainment system: The touch-screen enabled music system is made by LG and works fine. It is intuitive to operate and provides USB, Aux, Bluetooth and Sat-nav (no CD player though). The sound quality is surprisingly quite good for an OEM system.
9/10 (Surprisingly good)

The drive experience continued in the next part of the review.

Attachments

Pics continued:

Attachments

More pics:

Attachments

Your review is almost spot on. Been using the Lodgy for the last 3 weeks and I have to say I'm well pleased as a driver. My family, who are predominantly ladies like the second row and the last row is only used as a bed for my daughter or mother. It can never be used as a seat. Contrary to public opinion, I really love the looks of the Lodgy. Graduating from an Ertiga, I still miss the near perfect last row of Ertiga but that's a conscious decision I made because of other creature comforts like wide cabin to laterally stretch your legs, 3 row AC and charging port as well as a well equipped MediaNav system. I travel at least twice a month to Coimbatore and as a long distance cruiser, the Lodgy ticks my boxes. Cruise control, 6 speed gearbox, efficient engine with minimal turbo lag made it for me. In fact my biggest problem with the Ertiga was the turbo lag and boom noise after 110 km/h. In the Lodgy, 130 feels like 110, and the engine still ticks lesser than 2500 RPM. Doing that speed consistently, I was surprised to get a mileage of 15.3 km/l and this on an engine that's still running in. The car literally flies effortlessly at higher speeds with very little stress on the engine and the suspension evenly matches up. Like the DRL during day but the major irritant is people letting me know that the light is on. GPS is very accurate and finding restaurants and other places is a piece of cake. Being able to pair upto 8 phones on bluetooth takes care of handsfree calls for all of us. Little things like lights on all 3 rows, illuminated glove box, reverse gear turns on wiper if front wiper is on, gas strut bonnet and other such small details make it interesting for me. Overall, satisfied with the Lodgy.

Attaching a pic of the mileage:
IMG-20150604-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
@ertigadiesel

Congrats on your new buy. So since you mentioned, 3rd row was used as bed, what was the exact problem with 3rd row? How it is compared to Ertiga's 3rd row?

BTW 15.3 in MID doesn't mean it is 100% true. Just check it tankful method and do let us know. But still this mileage is good for this car! And the 1.5L engine is one gem of an engine.

@ertigadiesel

Congrats on your new buy. So since you mentioned, 3rd row was used as bed, what was the exact problem with 3rd row? How it is compared to Ertiga's 3rd row?

BTW 15.3 in MID doesn't mean it is 100% true. Just check it tankful method and do let us know. But still this mileage is good for this car! And the 1.5L engine is one gem of an engine.
Thank you furious_driver. The 3rd row is literally on the floor. There is no depth to rest your feet. It's like sitting on the floor with a small cushion as seat. Very un-ergonomic position. Since the cabin is wide enough, it's easier to put your feet on the seat and use it like a bed. This is possible only if 1 person is sitting in the last row. I'm planning to stitch a mattress to give the last row more height.

Actually, I don't mind the mileage in any of my cars. Even if it did 10 kmpl, I'm fine with it. I was looking through the MID after a long trip and found the mileage to be good because I was constantly driving at 120-130 kmph. Was surprised to note that and thought I'd share. I know it's not accurate but close enough.

Thanks for the info. You better get the 3rd seat cushioned to suit your needs! We don't know, when that might come in handy. And regarding FE, man 120+ and still >12 km/l is a big deal. I have extensively driven Verito with 1.5L dCi engine and it is an all day cruiser for sure. Believe me, with Verito, the best I have got with my sedate driving was 22 with 90% A/C use, and that too in cruising at 90-120 range from Bangalore-Theni!

I was planning on TD Lodgy for long time, but due to time constraint I missed it. Will take an long TD by this month and see for myself.

Renault Lodgy Stepway to be priced with a Rs. 60,000 premium.

renault-lodgy-stepway-1-660x330.jpg
renault-lodgy-stepway-3.jpg

This Stepway variant will be priced at a premium of ~ Rs. 60,000 over the RxZ trim level.

Changes include:
•Redesigned grille
•Bumpers with cladding
•Silver skid plates
•Side body cladding
•Chrome inserts on door protector mouldings
•Door sills
•Grey alloy wheels
•Stepway badging

Interiors remain unchanged and the Lodgy Stepway can be had in a 8-seater as well as 7-seater avatar.

Powering the Lodgy Stepway is the 1.5L, 4-cylinder, K9K dCi diesel motor producing 110 PS of power & 245 Nm of torque matched to a 6-speed gearbox delivering 19.98 kmpl.
http://www.shifting-gears.com/2015/06/15/renault-lodgy-stepway-to-be-priced-with-a-rs-60000-premium/

Last edited:
Renault has launched the Lodgy Stepway in India

This is the more rugged-looking and more expensive version of the Lodgy MPV. Available in two variants, the Lodgy Stepway is powered by the more powerful 110PS 1.5-litre K9K turbo-diesel motor and is available only with the top-of-the-line RxZ trim. The Renault Lodgy Stepway is available in two variants: the Lodgy Stepway 110PS RxZ 8-seater priced at Rs. 11.99 lakh and Lodgy Stepway 110PS RxZ 7-seater priced at Rs. 12.29 lakh. These variants priced at a premium of about Rs. 50,000 over the equivalent standard Lodgy RxZ variants. Prices mentioned above are ex-showroom Delhi.

“Renault’s core strength the world over is concept innovation, where we look at a segment and see how we can redefine it – either in practicality or in design and style. The Renault Lodgy was a breakthrough product which redefined the performance and convenience in the MPV segment. With the launch of the Lodgy Premium Stepway Edition today, we continue this process of innovation with the intent of adding value to our customers. The Lodgy Premium Stepway Edition has been designed with assertive and distinctive styling and is India’s first crossover MPV. Together with its innovative styling, it will deliver the proven superiority of performance, fuel efficiency, comfort, features, space and convenience … a blend which has enabled Renault to redefine the MPV segment in India,” said Sumit Sawhney, Country CEO and Managing Director, Renault India Operations. Renault is calling the Lodgy Stepway the first ‘crossover-car’ in the MPV segment. This is purely a marketing gimmick, the Lodgy Stepway does not receive any mechanical changes as compared to the standard MPV. What it does get is rugged-but-premium styling on the outside and a single addition to the interior. On the outside, the Lodgy Stepway is more rugged- as well as premium-looking as compared to its standard variant. This is thanks to the addition of body-cladding all-around the MPV including the bumpers, wheel arches and rocker panels (the part below the side-doors). The brushed-aluminium skid-plates at the front and rear also add to the rugged look of the Lodgy Stepway. A new ‘jewel-studded’ front-grille, chrome strips over the side-body cladding and new Stepway badges add to the premium look of the MPV. New anthracite, 5-spoke alloy wheels add a bit of sportiness to the overall design, though the tyres look skinny because of the additional side-cladding. Inside, the only new addition are the ‘Stepway’ branded sill-plates, everything else inside is the same as the standard MPV. This is not exactly a bad thing, the Lodgy gets premium interiors on the RxZ variants. This includes a two-tone brown-and-beige fabric and leather interior, three-spoke multifunction teering, three-pod instrument cluster, 8-way adjustable driver seat, a touch-screen multimedia screen with in-built navigation and rear-camera display, individual A/C vents for all rows of seats, a multitude of storage spaces around the cabin and a highly customisable luggage space.

The Lodgy Stepway is powered by the more powerful version of the 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder, turbocharged-diesel motor developing 110PS @ 4000rpm and 245Nm @ 1750rpm, returning an ARAI-certified fuel-efficiency of 19.98 km/l. This is mated to a six-speed manual transmission with power transmitted to the front wheels. The tyres are 185mm wide and are mounted onto 15-inch alloy wheels, braking is provided by ventilated discs at front and drums at the rear. Safety systems offered include ABS, EBD with BA, dual front-airbags, auto door-lock, cruise-control rear parking sensors and rear-parking camera.

lodgy-759.jpg

Source : Indian Express

The Stepway variant will be definitely 15l on road. At that price point it is quite too much pricey for the equipment and comfort it offers.

Just back from a week long trip to Coimbatore and a day's trip to Ooty. Just as expected, the vehicle is at home on the highway. Started off from Chennai @ 5AM and reached CBE @12PM as I had to go through Pollachi to drop off someone. Those interested in selling their empty seats in their cars while travelling can do so @ blablacar.in. I'm not related or paid by this site for endorsement. Since mine is a 8 seater and I had 5 empty seats, thought I'll advertise and I had a person travel with me to Salem and pocketed a cool 800 quid in the process.

Anyway, coming back to the Lodgy - loved it. The way the Lodgy blows every other car out of the water on the highway is to be seen to believe. Honestly, I don't drive with the intention of overtaking others, but it so happens that the Lodgy makes light work of long stretches, thanks to its solid engine and 6 speed gearbox. At speeds varying between 120-130, the mileage stood at 17.4 km/l. For me, this is astounding! Not that I care about mileage but just sharing for the benefit of others. Every time I drove the Ertiga, I always thought this one needs a 6th cog - the Lodgy takes care of that.

Also for the first time, I put the cruise control to good use. Wish every car came with this nifty feature. In my older cars, my legs give up before my body does due to fatigue. This trip, the cruise control kept my right leg rested. Having said that, I had to be extra cautious about sudden braking as the vehicle was technically "off my control". When I set the speed for the cruise control and if it happens to be higher than the speed I'm driving at, after setting it, the vehicle literally takes off like a fighter jet to attain that speed. Believe me, I've experienced this "push back in the seat" experience only in an Airbus. I reckon I'm more gentle on the throttle than the ECU that literally sets the engine boiling to reach that cruise speed after a slowdown. I should admit, the pull is sometimes scary :D and I put cruise control on stand by to reach that speed manually.

This is the first time I've taken the vehicle to a proper hill station - Ooty and again the Lodgy kept me entertained. All the hairpin bends were taken with ease as expected of the 245Nm torque generated by the K9K. We were 5 with no luggage. My first stall ever since I bought my Lodgy happened on the worst mud rut path to Dodabetta. The mistake was mine as I almost came to a dead stop to cross a pit and forgot I was on a steep incline. The vehicle stalled in the pit as I didn't give enough throttle to come out. Was a tad bit disappointed to let my Lodgy go through this stupidity of mine. By the way, if you're in Ooty, please DO NOT go to Dodabetta - it's nothing but a mud track full of ruts that will test your suspension to its limits as well as a steep incline that will test you and your engine and those jokers charge you for using this dirt track. If you're off to Leh in your car, practice runs can be done here. That said, the rest of the drive was uneventful and the vehicle performed just as expected.

I've done about 4000 odd kms now and I can feel the engine has really opened up, especially in lower gears where the low end power delivery has improved. The manual states 6000 kms for the engine to derive full performance from the engine and I'm getting there soon. My family felt extremely comfortable in all the rows (last row was used as a bed) and the 2nd and 3rd row AC did their part in keeping us from the 43 deg heat on the outside.

Sat nav was really useful in knowing the angle of bends around corners on the highway and on the hills. Of course, as a navigator it was flawless. On the way back, drove to Pollachi again to pick someone up and took the Pollachi-Dharapuram-Karur road. If you love driving, you should drive down this road at least once - believe me, it's a B road with sweeping turns and the surface is flawless. Unlike highways, they go through small hamlets and beautiful surroundings - very scenic for the passengers and very entertaining and rewarding for the driver - loved it. Renault have designed a marvellous engine with the K9K dCi and I'm an absolute fan of it. If there was a best sounding engine award, it would go to the K9K. My previous best sounding was the VW 1.6 TDi but the K9K is my new favourite. Heard people raving about the K9K before I bought the Lodgy but never realised it'd be this good until I drove it. I've driven the detuned version in my cousin's Micra but in the 110PS guise, this engine is something else.

I've always found that Innova drivers on the highway are an arrogant lot who like to bully others with their speed (read short 5th gear) and presence. In the Lodgy, smoking Innovas is a piece of cake. Innova drivers tried their bullying tactics with me and it was real fun to outpace them in an instant and find them surprised in the rear view mirror. I know the Innova drivers on TAI are sane, sensible drivers. I'm talking about the rest out there who think they own the highway.

Overall, the Lodgy has been a Lodgycal choice for me. Really impressed, really pleased.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Renault Lodgy Stepway Pics Clicked at New Renault Dealer in Noida.

20150828_144004.jpg

20150828_144013.jpg

20150828_144021.jpg

20150828_144028.jpg

20150828_144049.jpg

20150828_144058.jpg

20150828_144158.jpg

20150828_144133.jpg

All Pics of Stepway Edition of Lodgy in this post are only for The Automotive India. Any Re-Use needs full credit to TAI.​

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom