Renault Duster RxE 85 or Tata Safari LX or Mahindra Scorpio LX

Renault Duster RxE 85 OR Tata Safari LX OR Mahindra Scorpio LX

• Total voters
Folks, give some time to the new kid to prove himself. Haven't seen a single Duster on road, other than the TD vehicles. Let people buy it, drive it, review it and only then come to conclusions as to which is one is better.

The package sure sounds good. And I hope it offers better seats than those disastrous ones in the (my) Scorpio. Although, Storme is the one which has my eyes glued to.

Folks, give some time to the new kid to prove himself. Haven't seen a single Duster on road, other than the TD vehicles. Let people buy it, drive it, review it and only then come to conclusions as to which is one is better.
Duster may be new to India but its Europe's largest selling SUV.Also it shares Logan platform and the same diesel 1.5 lt engine which has already proven its worth here in India.

But still I agree we should give it some time before singing its eulogy.
And I hope it offers better seats than those disastrous ones in the (my) Scorpio.
Just curious to know what is wrong with seats of your Scorpio?

Duster may be new to India but its Europe's largest selling SUV.Also it shares Logan platform and the same diesel 1.5 lt engine which has already proven its worth here in India.
But there the price is cheap, and sells as Dacia & not Renault. Dacia is poor man's UV.

And guys, please stop calling duster SUV [frustration] else I will be forced to call M800 as Limousine. [lol]

But still I agree we should give it some time before singing its eulogy.

Just curious to know what is wrong with seats of your Scorpio?
The second row bench in the Scorpio is not the most happening place to be seated in. It is UNCOMFORTABLE.

second row of safari is sofa on wheels.
Hope Storme comes with higher back rest, so that we can even convert it into a bed by removing jump seats at back. will help in long journeys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried to test the second row of TATA Safari? I think it may well have more space there than both Duster and Scorp.
second row of safari is sofa on wheels.
Did try out the Safari, and the second row bench in it is magical, well cushioned and inclined and very well complimented by its suspension with doesn't throw the passengers inside the cabin left right and center, in a nutshell "I LOVE IT",

But where the Scorpio scores is engine smoothness, negligible engine noise and NVH levels, and the biggest factor considered by myself over a Safari is the turning radius of 5.6m of the Scorpio as compared to 6.0m or something of the Safari. It's pain making a U-turn in a Safari even on empty wide roads. Having driven several mini trucks now, I still find it hard to make a U-turn in a single go in a Safari and have to make that typical three point maneuver.

The Duster, however should be able to overcome most of the issues that a driver faces with Scorpio's bouncy/bumpy suspension, uncomfortable seats and Safari's huge turning radius, and also its age old leaf sprung suspension.

Coming on to the Storme, this should give some good competition to all the SUVs. IMO, its more of a contemprory vehicle with that classic age old design, better interiors, a susbtantially reduced turning radius of 5.4m (or 5.6m), and I presume coil spring suspension as against that dated leaf spring suspension. Seats, A/C, Ergonomics etc have never been a problem in the Safari.

In a nutshell, if you have a small family or a DINK family, drive majorly in the city with occasional or even often highway runs, Duster should be a smart move for you. Do TD it, and let us know of your opnions.

Also keep in mind the distance between your home/office and Renault's workshop, just in case the need arises.

Yeah very well laid out thoughts/facts about these three vehicles buddy.But just one minor correction.Current Safari has got front torsion beam and rear 5 link coil spring suspension set-up and not leaf springs as you stated.

But I agree with all your points and waiting eagerly for Storme.[:D]

The Safari has never had leaf spring suspension. EVEN THE SCORPIO does not come with leaf springs anymore, it was changed way back in 2005. Even the Scorpio has coil springs since then...

Yeah very well laid out thoughts/facts about these three vehicles buddy.But just one minor correction.Current Safari has got front torsion beam and rear 5 link coil spring suspension set-up and not leaf springs as you stated.

But I agree with all your points and waiting eagerly for Storme.[:D]
The Safari has never had leaf spring suspension. EVEN THE SCORPIO does not come with leaf springs anymore, it was changed way back in 2005. Even the Scorpio has coil springs since then...
And I just had a look at the Safari's website and it clearly mentions that it has coil springs like you guys stated, but I clearly remember seeing leaf springs in my uncle's 4-5 year old Safari and also being told by Mahindra's sales executive about this when I was test driving the Scorpio from Koncept Mahindra in New Delhi. I'l double on my uncle's car now.

Also, I'm aware that the last couple of generations of Scorpio didn't sport leaf spring suspension, did I mention so anywhere?

Am I growing old? [;)]

Did try out the Safari, and the second row bench in it is magical, well cushioned and inclined and very well complimented by its suspension with doesn't throw the passengers inside the cabin left right and center, in a nutshell "I LOVE IT",..

In a nutshell, if you have a small family or a DINK family, drive majorly in the city with occasional or even often highway runs, Duster should be a smart move for you. Do TD it, and let us know of your opnions.

Also keep in mind the distance between your home/office and Renault's workshop, just in case the need arises.
The new safari strome has a turning radius of 5.2 [clap] better then Scorpio and if not mistaken even better then xuv , and duster .

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom