Registration Number Etching on Glass

Have you itched car registration number on glasses

• Total voters
There are high chances that these smart thieves will change their mind while stealing the car with etched number on glasses.
As the first thing they do is change the number plates in few minutes
But for etched glass they will always hesitate to drive in public places with different number on plate which is not matching at etched glass.
Places like toll booth, public parking, gas stations where there are higher chances of getting noticed with different numbers on glass and number plate
Even they have to avoid traffic signals too as there are beggars, cleaners observing your car very keenly.
This obstacle is more enough to rethink them stealing a car with etched number.

If thief is smart enough then you might lose INR 250more to your car cost.
You are talking about chances; but chances are very limited or next to nil. How many times you observe number plate and number etched on the glass in general ? Answer probably ZERO or next to zero. Although, I agree with the last line that you would lose Rs. 250/- more and that is it.[frustration]

But how visible are these etched numbers? Agree if people notice the etched number it will cause a problem to the thieves but who are noticing those numbers? How many people are aware of such a thing? IMO the numbers etched on the glasses are too small to even get noticed!
I agree with you Dhaya. These numbers are too small to be noticed frankly nor anybody gives any importance to them. However, as far as awareness is concerned I have seen many cars with etched number on glass but never cross checked them with the number plate.

You can say a bad practice or wrong habit but do people really care about it ? Even if you observe any discrepancy in the number, still 99.999% people will ignore it or talk to each other but seldom ask the driver of that vehicle about it. Let alone reporting it to the cop. Period.

You are talking about chances; but chances are very limited or next to nil. How many times you observe number plate and number etched on the glass in general ? Answer probably ZERO or next to zero. Although, I agree with the last line that you would lose Rs. 250/- more and that is it.[frustration]
If you read my post again.
Here are the positive chances.
''But for etched glass they will always hesitate to drive in public places with different number on plate which is not matching at etched glass.
Places like toll booth, public parking, gas stations where there are higher chances of getting noticed with different numbers on glass and number plate''

However, as far as awareness is concerned I have seen many cars with etched number on glass but never cross checked them with the number plate.
You mean to say you saw the number etched on glasses thats the very possitive improvement if you find the descrpincy will you report to cops.

Even if you observe any discrepancy in the number, still 99.999% people will ignore it .
Still I can find there is chance of getting thief caught because of etched glass is 0.001 %
That to be paying INR 250,

I do not want to say that etched number will keep your car entire safe but there are chances thieves may not attempt to take the car which has got numbers etched on glasses.

how can you etch the number? my dealer told me nothing about this. anyway i am will ask my uncle who is a DMVI, and get back to you.

thats a good idea. but not like this general itching . it will be better if the number glows when seen through different light say infrared, lazer or likes. then it will be lot easier and can be noticed by police men standing in the booth at signals

well how can it help?? later even thieves will also start using those laser torch and steal car which doesnt have number etched!!

350Z

Core Team
Can someone suggest a reliable shop for this in Delhi? The fellows ended up breaking the entire window last time when my cousin got this done. :eek:

Drive Safe,
350Z

I never knew of such things before. Will check with the service station during the next service.

well how can it help?? later even thieves will also start using those laser torch and steal car which doesnt have number etched!!
Then get the glasses etched before the thief does.

Damn, the process is scary, what if the guy breaks the windshield during the process. And anyone who has done this on their ride, please post the pics.

Get a good Anti-theft Alarm system installed in your cars. It will also prevent 'only expensive items' like ECU & ICE being stolen from inside the car..

Glass etching is a quite safe process done using some acidic and abrasive substances on stencils, you can get it done from Service center or from the guys who are making registration plates of vehicles.

Size and fonts of numbers depends upon the stencils, these are non removable and glass got permanent markings!

350Z

Core Team
Damn, the process is scary, what if the guy breaks the windshield during the process. And anyone who has done this on their ride, please post the pics.
Got the etching done on Fiesta for Rs.200. It’s rather a simple process these days as already explained by Tough Guy. Definitely recommended to everyone.

Drive Safe,
350Z

This is interesting. Never heard or saw this practice in Bangalore/Hyd/Chennai for sure. Will get it checked and done(if possible/price is right) in the scheduled service this weekend for my truck.

Checked with IG Bang. They claim never heard or did for such work. SA refereed me to check with steel vessels selling local shops.

Top Bottom