Red Hot Alto Spice

Detuning in the sense your pickup will be reduced considerably and you can notice the power drop in the engine! So fuel consumption will be less! Haven you heard of doing these things in bikes??

Aaah am not very sound in technical things maybe somebody like Neil Racerdabba Ilango etc can explain to you clearly!!

Thread Starter #63
I think the only way to detune a car would be to re-map the ECU. I don't think MASS have the know how to do it.

Thread Starter #64
Just got a call from MASS. The MSIL representative is coming tomorrow and wants to have a look at my car. Lets see what happens.

Thread Starter #65
Spent the whole morning at MASS. The Maruti rep did not turn up so I went back home. Then I get a call that he has arrived. Went back to MASS. The car was taken in and milege testing equipment installed. The Maruti rep. apologised for coming late. We took the car for a test. Driver and mechanic in front, works manager, Maruti rep and myself in the back. First tested without AC, almost empty road and steady speed. Car gave 21.1 Kmpl. Reapeated with AC. 15.3 Kmpl. Again they insist that the milege is OK. Maruti rep. said that 13.5-16 is what you can get with AC. I asked him why I was not told that by the sales personnel when I specifically asked them for the milege in normal driving with AC. Then I told him to put an ad in the papers stating the Actual milege. He did not answer. I asked him why he was afraid to do it. After all he had full faith in his product. He also gave the usual crap that milege is not constant etc. etc. I asked why I was getting 16 on the loaner car. The works manager said that the tyres had nitrogen and nitrogen gave 2-3 Km extra milege. Can't beleive he is a qualified engineer. Anyway I told them that I will drive the car for a few days and check and if it is not at least 16, I will be back. BTW during the test they were also giving talks about running in. I told them that modern cars don't need it. They said 10K Kms are required for the engine to give good milege. Why is it not in the manual then.

21.1 without AC on empty road seems good, but i am not sure why so much difference with AC. Almost 6KMPL difference.

And also the reason for nitrogen and mileage is crap answer.

And yes there is no need to run-in for new cars.

Hey Peter can you explain how you got these mileage figures?? So these figures were obtained in an highway??

I guess the ideal figure for an Alto would be 16-18kmpl with AC and 22-25kmpl without AC in highways!

And sorry for OT but what is this run-in??

Running in a vehicle is when, for a limited period of time (km) you do not exceed certain rpms.
As RSM said, most modern cars don't have a run-in requirement, but it would still not be a good idea to redline your cars on day one!!
Running in is I think a mandatory requirement on most bikes in India even today. I remember having to rein in my Pulsar for 1000km, and that was a major drag!!

Oh yes i get it , thanks for the explanation! Even i had to do the same for my Pulsar![frustration]

So i cant even believe he is a qualified engineer appointed by MASS!!

Thread Starter #70
I checked my milege by the full tank method again today. The car gave 9.93Kmpl with AC. 249 Kms and 25.06 Litres. The 249 Km included the 15Km and 21 Km (without AC) driven by the Maruti guys. This means that they flicked petrol from the car which they deny. In that case then the milege is really bad. Now they are not ready to listen to me. They just keep saying your car is ok and milege varies (refusing to specify by how much).

This is really bad. Take one of them and drive and show them the mileage. But practically its not possible.[frustration]

Threaten them that if they don't care, you will go to consumer court. I don't see any other option with you.

Definitely they have flicked petrol from your car! The Alto just cannot give 9kmpl , our Safari gives 8-10kmpl in full city driving!

Why don you check your mileage just once more filling up your tank??

I checked my milege by the full tank method again today. The car gave 9.93Kmpl with AC. 249 Kms and 25.06 Litres. The 249 Km included the 15Km and 21 Km (without AC) driven by the Maruti guys. This means that they flicked petrol from the car which they deny. In that case then the milege is really bad. Now they are not ready to listen to me. They just keep saying your car is ok and milege varies (refusing to specify by how much).
Just a diversion, but how sure are you of the quantity of the petrol filled?
Some petrol outlets are not above giving inflated volumes.
Not diverting from the main issue of the low mileage, but may be worth a thought.

Thread Starter #74
Just a diversion, but how sure are you of the quantity of the petrol filled?
Some petrol outlets are not above giving inflated volumes.
Not diverting from the main issue of the low mileage, but may be worth a thought.
I tried other pumps too. And I have a record of all fuel filled. So any errors will be cancelled out when I do the total average.

Thread Starter #75
Yesterday I spoke to the people at CIL again. Now they tell me that the car is all OK and the case is closed. I have shot a mail to the GM of CIL. I doubt she will reply. Also mailed Maruti with the full details of the case. Looks like Consumer court is the only option now. Kindly guide me. Also I am writing a full history of this case for Vibhor to send to Maruti. I will also post it here and forward it to all my contacts in my address book. If anyone is interested in helping out in this campaign, please PM your e-mail id's to me. I will forward the mail to you and you can spread it among your friends. Let everyone know what the truth about Maruti and it's A.S.S. is.

Top Bottom