Recommendations for Reliable External Hard Disk

Purchased?

Seagate is less problematic than WD in my opinion. From our experience, the amount of hard disk comes for data recovery is much more than the seagate (even though seagate sells more). After sales support is great from WD. They pickup and deliver at your doorstep.

In hard drive, I will choose less problematic one than the door support. Because, i need the data more than the hdd. Seagate is having problems but less compared to WD. (I have replaced 3 1tb internal from western digital). Seagate 1tb still good.

For seagate, they arrange pickup & drop if the service centers (accel) are 60km or far.

Electronic items. Can not Guarantee . Better backup your data two places.

If you are using only for copying movies -go for the cheapest one (you can get the movies again:) )

^^SB, I checked that link, the price difference is around Rs.1000/- why WD is that costly ??
seems that seller WS retail ran out of stocks.
when i listed it in the quote price was for 4k (Rs.3,999/-)

if you just want to store some movies etc.

you can also choose the toshiba canvio 1TB for around 3.7k

Now it is back in 3999 by WS Retail. WD My Passport 1 TB External Hard Disk - WD: Flipkart.com

Yesterday I read got a mail from CRN - UBN which says
Over the past couple of years many online retailers like Flipkart, Snapdeal, Homeshop18, Infibeam have come up and who are offering steep discounts to lure customers.

Recently an IT company sent a legal notice to Flipkart to sell products at the MOP suggested by the company or stop selling their products. Another IT company has decided not to provide post-sales warranty on products sold through online retail
These distributors and retailers are hit majorly because of these online Portals who are not looking for initial loss.

Keep checking price @ Amazon, snapdeal, flipkart etc. Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories was selling at 4099 three days back ;)

Yesterday I read got a mail from CRN - UBN which says

TSeagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive: Amazon.in: Computers & Accessories[/url] was selling at 4099 three days back ;)[/QUOTE

Same deal is available now at 3890/-, shall buy this, was looking to buy one and just checked the link, shall order this?

I am looking for a hard drive dock, it should have usb 2.0 interface minimum, should have the ability to dock sata hard drives 2.5/3.5 inch, 3.0 usb is also welcome - any recommendations ? The context is i have a Tb hard drive which i want to use for multiple purposes i.e connected with a dvr or set top box or plain additional storage.

Last edited:
I am looking for a hard drive dock, it should have usb 2.0 interface minimum, should have the ability to dock sata hard drives 2.5/3.5 inch, 3.0 usb is also welcome - any recommendations ? The context is i have a Tb hard drive which i want to use for multiple purposes i.e connected with a dvr or set top box or plain additional storage.
Are you talking about adapter with a usb cable?
If yes, you get 2.5 inch casing usb 2.0 for 250rs. You can connect only 2.5"(laptop hdds) .

There is a different kind of adapter which is available in market to connect even 3.5 "hdd (desktop). you need to connect extra power cable when using bigger hdds.

You do get usb 3.0 adapter which costs 1000+. (for 2.5" hdds )

Seems you are looking for HDD enclosure. It is something like this

I will not prefer to use 3.5" adapters as it damaged my 2 HDDs which were working fine till they are connected to the adapters. And each time I bought new adapter.

Total loss: cost of 2 adapters + cost of 2 hdds

Since then I am not using any adapters to connect HDDs.

Later bought 2 1TB WD Passport (first for Rs. 4100 and second for Rs. 4300) and they are working fine for last 2 years.

I am in hunt of an External HDD as well size 1TB, I am not sure between Seagate & WD. Off late I have been reading that seagate has become a bit unreliable and failure rate is high & did not see much reviews of WD. I have been checking out Flipkart & Amazon, the prices are in same range albeit on Amazon slightly lower.

The basic usage of external drive is to backup all the photos I have, currently they are on the desktop & I would like to have a backup. I went through the whole thread & most of the suggested to go with Seagate. I don't really know if I would need a sync since I know where most of my photos will be & I usually create a new folder to store my photos. Hence please let me know if WD My Passport Ultra 1TB or Seagate 1TB portable external hard drive would do?

I have been using Seagate, 1.5TB as well as 1TB and have never faced any issues with them.
Also same seagate brand is being used in my family, as we all purchased together, 1.5TB 4 3 years back and 1 TB few days back.
Brought seagate 1TB from amazon for 3800.

Top Bottom