Recommendations for Reliable External Hard Disk

I think am bit late on suggestions here

I normally build computers during my down time if I have any for mates . so far built around 25-30
WD Green Drives ( internal) are great, I have been using my one from last 5 years no issues but when it comes to external ones, I'd suggest not to buy External WD HDD Specially 1 TB Pocket drive ( 2.5" )

I've got one here sitting with me , guy asked me if I can extract data out of it but never worked , and other two same size WD with same issues.(photo attached)

I have seagette 500GB portable no issues.

hope your purchase lasts you long

Attachments

These days, I'm very angry on the HDDs!
Three months back, I bought a WD Green 1TB internal HDD because my old WD 640GB which is 5+ years old started to work defectively. So stored every important data on the new one by cutting and pasting. A few days after, it went dead! OMG! The technician said ants ate some part of it and the data is not recoverable ( seriously?). Since it's my father who handles all these, I didn't take much interest in it.
Also, a strange thing happened. The old WD, which was not working good (had bad sectors), started working perfectly fine!

Okay, leave it. Now the next thing...

1.5 years ago, my father bought a 500GB Toshiba Canvio HDD. If it was me, I'd have bought a WD or Seagate one. It was working fine all day but a few days before.. It was working fine and at last it was connected to a laptop. That fine day itself after a couple of hours, when I connected it to a computer, the PC won't detect it. The light shows up but nothing else, it won't blink, no fan, no noise. The technician didn't say any reason except boasting that the whole Toshiba products have gone dead due the current weather.
What could be the reason of going it dead? And how to retrieve the files?

Hahahaha, then moral of the story seems to be like the good old paper documents are safe than these gadgets[lol]. Like the earth is a round ball, everything is falling into a cycle and once again we depend on the papers to store our data !!

Now I am clear that HDDs help you store more data externally, but there is not guarantee that when they will go kaput, so there should be a back up and alternative

These days, I'm very angry on the HDDs!
Three months back, I bought a WD Green 1TB internal HDD because my old WD 640GB which is 5+ years old started to work defectively. So stored every important data on the new one by cutting and pasting. A few days after, it went dead! OMG! The technician said ants ate some part of it and the data is not recoverable ( seriously?). Since it's my father who handles all these, I didn't take much interest in it.
Also, a strange thing happened. The old WD, which was not working good (had bad sectors), started working perfectly fine!

Okay, leave it. Now the next thing...

1.5 years ago, my father bought a 500GB Toshiba Canvio HDD. If it was me, I'd have bought a WD or Seagate one. It was working fine all day but a few days before.. It was working fine and at last it was connected to a laptop. That fine day itself after a couple of hours, when I connected it to a computer, the PC won't detect it. The light shows up but nothing else, it won't blink, no fan, no noise. The technician didn't say any reason except boasting that the whole Toshiba products have gone dead due the current weather.
What could be the reason of going it dead? And how to retrieve the files?
there are recovery softwares available. they are painfully slow procedures to recover these files . if the data on those files is not that important, it is probably not worth recovering them.

there are many online options available today like dropbox, box, drive which offer sizeable amount of online data backup for those very important data files.

about data going bad, my 2TB external drive too died recently.
the great thing about WD is their pick up and drop facility where in my drive was picked up and given to me at my home residence. (added advantage for WD service)

and the data lost was all media files . i lost around 700GB of data, of which around 300+GB of data was recovered online last month itself [;)]

Hahahaha, then moral of the story seems to be like the good old paper documents are safe than these gadgets[lol]. Like the earth is a round ball, everything is falling into a cycle and once again we depend on the papers to store our data !!

Now I am clear that HDDs help you store more data externally, but there is not guarantee that when they will go kaput, so there should be a back up and alternative
Go for Seagate Back Up Plus. With Backup Plus portable drives, you can choose from two easy backup options: automatic or scheduled.

I bought the hard disk and its super fast as it has SuperSpeed USB 3.0 port

@Superbad,
Not seen you since long time buddy !!
hmm, then online is the only reliable option, but how safe it is
@sudhi, for how much you bought it

there are recovery softwares available. they are painfully slow procedures to recover these files . if the data on those files is not that important, it is probably not worth recovering them.

there are many online options available today like dropbox, box, drive which offer sizeable amount of online data backup for those very important data files.

about data going bad, my 2TB external drive too died recently.
the great thing about WD is their pick up and drop facility where in my drive was picked up and given to me at my home residence. (added advantage for WD service)

and the data lost was all media files . i lost around 700GB of data, of which around 300+GB of data was recovered online last month itself [;)]
You're right. Just today morning only I remembered Cloud. Technology won't leave the user aside, lol.

Gurrala, [lol]

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends

Look at this link and tell me is that price is on higher side are reasonable for the seagate backup plus

Amazon.in: 1 TB & more - External Hard Drives / External Devices & Data Storage: Computers & Accessories
my preference

WD My Passport 1 TB External Hard Disk - WD: Flipkart.com

The advantage. The replacement of your hard disk is done by courier guys who will come to your residence to pick up the faulty disk and they deliver to you the replacement drive.

This is good for people who do not wish to run around searching for the service centres.

Last edited:

Top Bottom