Recommendations for Reliable External Hard Disk

Even I have WD 1TB External Hard Drive. The good part is that I can directly hook it up to my Samsung TV and watch movies etc without the requirement of any other Media device between the External Hard Drive and TV.

Friends,

Now I am looking for a 1TB external hard disk to store all my personal stuff and also movies. So at this moment which one you suggest

Do you want to carry around? , Then go for portable 2.5" usb powered(with usb 3.0 cable)
Are you looking for a durable / faster drive ? Go for powered one.

These days everyone prefer a small/compact one over the durability/slight fastness.
I prefer Seagate Backup Plus good compared to other brands.
Western Digital replaces the HDD almost immediately. I prefer durability than replacing hdd's.

Which ever you buy, be gentle with it.
1. Do not put in pocket.
2. Do not move the hard disk while in use.
3. Do not press the HDD.
4. Try to put in a carry case.

Rest is your luck. Any electronic device can go on any time. Seagate got a slight edge over WD (As per my experience - not per statistics). Most of the other External HDD manufactures gives Toshiba/Seagate/Hitachi/WD hdd's inside with a case.

All the best for your purchase :)

@Appus

I handle it very carefully, so I am not really looking for the compactness but looking for a reliable one with advanced technology and runs trouble free for long time[:)]

@Appus

My usage and my budget are limited at the moment and I prefer 1TB good enough for me. When I checked on flipkart, there are different brands with lot of price difference within the same brand and same capacity, so how they are different to each other and what kind of features I need to look for, so my need is for a portable one at the moment

@Appus

My usage and my budget are limited at the moment and I prefer 1TB good enough for me. When I checked on flipkart, there are different brands with lot of price difference within the same brand and same capacity, so how they are different to each other and what kind of features I need to look for, so my need is for a portable one at the moment
Backup Plus is more sturdy compared to Expansion drive. Backup plus can backup (one-click backup plan).

Both are having USB 3.0 and same Hard disk inside (5400rpm). So, if you are not using any backup function etc, you can even consider Expansion which are way cheaper. You do get 5% cashback on some days @ flipkart. You can even check with your dealer for the same. Last time I got a Backup plus from flipkart at 4200Rs. (As Dollar price is increasing, i do not see the price coming down)

@Appus

Can you please explain me how this "backup plus" is different from "expansion drive" and how they effect me in real time[:)]

Main difference is
Backup Plus comes with the backup program in the drive. Expansion does not come with any backup software.

Second difference I personally felt :- Backup plus looked more rigid (solid built) than expansion drive (All hard drive inside would be same though)

Real time : - If you want to copy files as per your need & not backing up using software, it does not give advantage on real time (than the sturdy/solid built quality)

@Appus

Thank you for the kind reply, still some doubt that why the backup program is required for some body ??

As I told in previous posts, my purpose is to load all my personal stuff like pics, important scanned docs, movies in the disk and should be able to play the movies directly when it is connected to my LED at home[:)]

still some doubt that why the backup program is required for some body ??
I am a person who use / depend largely on my desktop HDDs
I have internal hdd of 3.5TB (3x1TB +1x500GB + keep on adding). I keep most of my data in desktop HDD's. I have two external HDDs(1TB+500GB) for backup important datas from desktop HDDs (To access in laptop/office pc's etc). One is important software i need/purchased + movies/songs , and second one purely my photos/documents.

First one, I do not use any software to update. I manually copy / paste the Software/Movies/Songs in external one.

The moment I connect my second external hard drive, I get my desktop data (documents & photos) synced and update which ever is missing in external HDD. So, I need not manually copy the data / folder one by one. You may not be remembering which files you created especially in case of documents. So, i just let it run .

The same can be done if you are using other backup software like Windows Backup/Easeus todo backup etc.

One time backup - No need of backup software.
Update /sync - Better to have a backup software.

I lost almost all my photos in 2006 when my HDD Crashed (no data recovery was possible). So, I am really careful about my data these days. I keep the same data at least two three places if that is important to me.

I do not know whether i confused you or helped you [confused]. Anyways, do not worry much if you use only for watching movies on tv / copying movies etc.

@Appus

No you have not confused me at all, but made me understand some new things, so few new questions now.

1. I do not have a PC or Laptop of my own at my home. I use a Laptop of my company where all my personal stuff like pics, docs, movies is loaded. But very soon I would like to move that content from my laptop to a external hard disk for two reasons a) I do not want to keep any my personal stuff on office laptop b) I need a device(external HDD) to access pics and movies whenever I want at home. This is the whole purpose of me buying a new HDD. Yes the back up may not be one time, but whatever the new content I have on my laptop can be located and transfer it to my external HDD, so I do not need a back up software here.

2. I have a 1TB Toshiba external HDD which belongs to office, which I use it to back up the data from my laptop and other 2 computers time to time. Yes here I need to work a lot to locate the new stuff which is not copied last time and copy the same to external HDD. So I need to know that software which can automatically sync and copy only the new data. I need to your help here

So looking at above scenario explained Sl.No.1 , suggest me a external HDD where I have to depend on it to have all my personal data, hence I look for a reliable one.

Wish I have not confused you much now[:)]

thanks for your time and help buddy

Last edited:
Not at all confusing sir.
Any Hard drive you can buy for that matter. Reliability -Cant suggest any in this case.
Seagate hard drives are lesser problematic compared to Western Digital or other brands by comparing the volume they sell. All manufacturers gives warranty(Western Digital sends a new piece with in no time - arrange a pickup/delivery from your door stop. While giving to Seagate, you need to kill it fully or else get a repaired drive from them) but no one will give warranty on the content you copy on it.

So, If you are worried more about the life of HDD, i would suggest a Seagate Hard disk drive. I will still suggest to backup the same stuffs at least two places so you really need to worry if one goes bad. Unlike older hard drive which used to last for many years, new ones get problem in an year or two. (some exceptions here and there).

Do not move/hold it while copying some data. Keep it on some plain surface.
2374177-stock-pictures-of-the-interior-of-a-compute-hard-drive.jpg

A slight change in head position make the hard drive unusable unlike pendrive/solid state disk (which are very costly and do not use head/plate technology). LaCie Little Big Disk Thunderbolt (1TB SSD) Review & Rating | PCMag.com Almost 750$ (30-40K) for 1TB HDD

How ever expensive it is, I guess our data are more expensive than that. So preserve it very carefully. Do not delete the important folders from laptop except movies/music. Or, use some reliable web storage to upload your important documents/photos

If you need a link to the Seagate HDDs (lowest cost), let me know. You can even consult with your vendor who delivers at your place and see the price.

Top Bottom