Received Traffic Challan For Sold Car: What Next?

Thread Starter #1

Nairrk

Honoured Member
This morning I have received a Challan from Vahan by SMS issued against my car which was sold 4 years ago. A couple of months later after the sale, I have checked with the RTO and found that the car R/C was transferred into new owner's name.

After receiving the challan, I once again checked the details of the R/C which shows the new owner's name and not mine. It looks like whilst transferring the vehicle, the new owner have not updated with his mobile number and the R/C still carries my phone number.

The challan amount is Rs.250/- (not aware of what reason the challan is raised for).

What should I do now - is there anyway we can send a written complaint online to Vahan? In case I ignore the challan, will they send a reminder notice to the registered owner in which case the new owner will get the notice since the RC has the new owner's address?

Please advise/comment.

350Z

Core Team
It looks like whilst transferring the vehicle, the new owner have not updated with his mobile number and the R/C still carries my phone number.
Yup. That’s most likely the case. Since the vehicle ownership has been transferred, the onus doesn’t lie on you.

What should I do now - is there anyway we can send a written complaint online to Vahan?
There’s an option in Parivahan website to update the mobile number. See if it helps. You may also directly request the new owner or dealer through whom the car was sold.

In case I ignore the challan, will they send a reminder notice to the registered owner in which case the new owner will get the notice since the RC has the new owner's address?
You can safely ignore it. Fine amount is minimal, so I don’t think it’s a major violation. Generally, an actual notice is sent to the registered owner’s address as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3

Nairrk

Honoured Member
You may also directly request the new owner or dealer through whom the car was sold.
I don't have his contact number. As per the R/c address, he stays far away (about 20/25kms) from my place. The car was originally listed in Olx, and seeing the ad someone came to see the car and finalised the deal. But it looks like after using the car for a month or so without transferring and then he sold it at a bit higher price to a third person who has transferred the ownership and uses the car now.

You can safely ignore it. Fine amount is minimal, so I don’t think it’s a major violation. Generally, an actual notice is sent to the registered owner’s address as well.
Yes, keeping quiet. I have the mparivahan app in my mobile and it has all my existing vehicles (One car and 2 scooters) listed but not the one which sold 4 years back.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Nothing to worry as long as the ownership has been transferred. Current RC owner might get physical challan in mail. The current owner/next owner will have to take the burden of clearing the due for any RTO transaction.

Top Bottom