Rattling Sources and Solutions

350Z

Core Team
That topic can be left alone as a survey thread for rattles in Maruti Suzuki cars. We can discuss issues and solutions about rattles on all cars in this thread itself.

Drive safe,
350Z

Re: Does Your Maruti Suzuki Car Rattles?

The area behind the dashboard is most prone to hard-to-detect rattles. I can think of a loose air-con vent, a wire bunch or maybe loose dashboard itself. If the sound is not too much or not too irritating than I'll suggest to leave it as it is cos eradicating the rattle might require taking off the entire dashboard which might induce new rattles all together.

For starters, try one thing, lie down under the dash and ask someone to make the car bounce by pushing down at shockers and see if you see any moving parts.

Next you can remove the headunit and try to see as far as possible into the dash.

freakdude.
Thanks freakdude.

I will try and perform some test as suggested during weekend and revert.

I have observed another thing in last few days. A strange noise is coming between 60 to 80 speed (approx.). Sound is like as if some glider flying near you or like "gurrrr gurrr" but it is not something sticking anywhere. It is like a drag but there are no signs on any tyres.

What could be the possibility [frustration]

Thanks freakdude.

I will try and perform some test as suggested during weekend and revert.

I have observed another thing in last few days. A strange noise is coming between 60 to 80 speed (approx.). Sound is like as if some glider flying near you or like "gurrrr gurrr" but it is not something sticking anywhere. It is like a drag but there are no signs on any tyres.

What could be the possibility [frustration]
Check wheel bearings. Most likely they are giving up. Also, if confirmed get them replaced ASAP as it might be risky to drive.

freakdude.

Hmmm. Is it possible to perform this test by my own before visiting the service station ? If yes then, how ?

Thanks
Jack up the wheels one at a time. Try rotating the wheel then as hard as possible. If you hear the same or similar sound then it is the wheel bearing. If you hear metallic tuk-tuk sound then condition has even worsened and a change is on the cards.

Other possibility might be that brakes are in action. Check to see if the wheel rotates freely. If not, could be that brakes are playing foul here

freakdude.

Actually finding the rattling source is really a difficult procedure.[anger]
Damping the car is a great idea to reduce these noises.Damping the doors,firewall,wheel arches and even the floor can make it even better.

And if the wheel bearing are having problem,we can hear a HUMMING sound,I think.I'm sorry if I'm wrong.[:D]

Well friends, I went to a decent and knowledgeable person to get wheel bearing checked and replaced. His mechanic took a test drive and confirmed that wheel bearings are going (but sound is very minor). Then owner asked them to jack up one wheel and roll. He tried to listen to any abnormality in sound and confirmed that sound is there but suggested tyre change. As per him tyres wears out in 4 years or 65-70k kms runs. Mine would be completing 4 years in Nov but as per manufacturing date it cannot be Nov’07. Moreover, my speedo meters shows 57+kms run in last 3 yrs 11 months.
What you guys suggest? Should I change tyres ? Or stick with wheel bearing issue and get it replaced at next service, which is due in next 10-15 days ?

Big question in mind: I wanted him to change the wheel bearing but he seems to be not interested in minting money and suggest tyre change which is not his business. Looks like a genuine advice or am I thinking too much positive about the person ?

@shailinder Go to service station and take second opinion, also check at good Tyre shop and ask them about tyre conditions. 57+kms in 4 yrs is OK for Tyre change.

Thanks Surfer. It was a MS's authorized service station moreover, that is what I am planning to do next Sat / Sun but how come tyre change would help in reducing the humming sound ?

Friends I need you suggests.

I guess he is simply pushing a tyre change. I agree that 57K is good enough to call for a tyre change, but to me it seems as if he preponing the tyre change and eventually you'll have to go for a bearing change anyhow. So, better would be to take a second advice/opinion and if tyre has tread left then better would be to change bearings. Also you can try lubricating the wheel mounts to see if noise reduces.

freakdude.

I guess he is simply pushing a tyre change. I agree that 57K is good enough to call for a tyre change, but to me it seems as if he preponing the tyre change and eventually you'll have to go for a bearing change anyhow. So, better would be to take a second advice/opinion and if tyre has tread left then better would be to change bearings. Also you can try lubricating the wheel mounts to see if noise reduces.

freakdude.
Now here is a catch. He is advising tyre change though he is not going to get anything. Rather he would have made something if he suggested bearing change, which I was mentally prepared to change.

It is really difficult to make out from his point because what is his benefit in it ? [confused]

I have strange squeaking noise from rear of the car (Vista). TASS says that it is coming from the exhaust pipe, but I can bet it is not.

Top Bottom