Rattling Sources and Solutions

My Fiesta ZXI did start rattling a couple of months back. The rattling was heard somewhere from front left side door trim.

Rattling is really a pain to have. I have had enough since I could not identify the source because I'm the one behind the wheels all the time. Everyone in my family and a lot of my friends really had a tough time with me. Whoever sits in the front seat will be asked to identify the source. Despite all the gimmicks, the source remained unidentified. The only major problem for the loss of clue is that this rattling occurs only on uneven roads, need not be pot-hole-type roads but even roads with little uneven tarmac raised this noise. Hence, this was not present all the time.

Most times, my fellow passengers would never hear the sound. While on the other end, it kills me because the rattling noise kills enjoying the motor of the Drivers Car! Goddamn noise! The most learned technician in Service Station told me to ignore the noise and pump up the volume of the music when i gave it for service last month. That was a logical and wise option too! Plastics, period! But I guess only you guys can understand the experience of driving that was being compromised because of this noise and that too in a Fiesta! [frustration]
Well, the car has done 55k, 4 years up and this noise was not letting me go!

So last Sunday I pitched in. Driving the car to find the rattling is not a good idea. So I wanted to identify some other way to identify the source of noise. Tried knocking the near A pillar which was most suspected one. Yes, the noise was there. Looked like it came from within the tweeter housing.

Could be some loose wires or some loose holders? But that won't break off so easily! But that's where it comes from and almost concluded it's better not to remove the housing creating a couple of other rattlings in the pursuit of fixing this! Worried and as a last try knocked once more

Accidentally I discovered when hitting the tweeter assembly housing with my hands holding the outer part of the door, noise was gone! Oops, tried again: applied some pressure on the outer side of the door right behind the tweeter housing and "knock knock" .. woohoo.. no more rattling. That's when the bulb started glowing. The rattling is not from inside the housing but the housing itself on the outside where it comes in contact with the door metal.

Take a look at this picture; the driver side A trim tweeter housing.

Neat! The plastic housing is fixed to the door trim and is rock solid and doesn't create any vibrations though it comes in contact with the door metal.

But, this was not the case with the Left side. For some reasons which God only knows, there was a good gap developed between the door trim and the plastic housing. So the source of rattle? As the vehicle moves through uneven roads, the vibrations are carried through the body, the door and reaches the housing. If firmly fixed, the housing tends to dampen them but since it was loose here, they started vibrating with each other. THAT vibration creeps into the cabin via tweeter assembly housing and spoils my driving experience.

Fix? What else could it be other than closing the gap? Tapes won't be a right option because inserting them between the trims is a pain. The other idea i could think of is "Take the 5 rubbes - Quick fix" Applied a nice layer of quick fix between the two trims and NOW, rattling is gone and my driving pleasure is BACK!!

(Here's a pic with quick fix - Doesn't look as ugly as seen here. I have taken the pic at a specific angle with flash so that it will be visible. But hey, it is not so clean. If you look closely at it, you can easily understand the it's jugaad. A week post this fix and No one has identified this yet [evil]. If someone asks me about this after noticing or if it is so worse I'm thinking of getting a Carbon Fiber sheet and sticking it on both mirror housings)

Attachments

hi guys,
Recently my wagonR(k10B-2010) developed a rattling sound which comes somewhere from the front (engine bay i think). This sound predominates when the car"s engine vibrate like when you try to overtake or when you are at low speeds in higher gears.I showed it to MASS and they said its from silencer and quoted about 3k for replacement.

The sound appears just like the clinging sounds from loose metal parts.

Now my questions are
1.will it be really from silencer? for me it appears to be from the front.

2.Should i check it with some local mechanics?Will they be of any good in rectifying it at lower price?

3.Can an unattended problem with silencer can cause major hiccups to the vehicle in future?

Thank you.

@blueeyed, it is a bit difficult to say whether the noise originates from the silencer. it may be or may not be the silencer. as noise travels through the metal parts sometimes it becomes difficult to find the source.
2. option 2 is better. get your car checkedup by a local mech.
3. no major hiccups should be arised from unattended silencer issue.

hi guys,
Recently my wagonR(k10B-2010) developed a rattling sound which comes somewhere from the front (engine bay i think). This sound predominates when the car"s engine vibrate like when you try to overtake or when you are at low speeds in higher gears.I showed it to MASS and they said its from silencer and quoted about 3k for replacement.

The sound appears just like the clinging sounds from loose metal parts.

Now my questions are
1.will it be really from silencer? for me it appears to be from the front.

2.Should i check it with some local mechanics?Will they be of any good in rectifying it at lower price?

3.Can an unattended problem with silencer can cause major hiccups to the vehicle in future?

Thank you.
Oops! How coincidental? I have the same issue in my Figo too. It's like some loose metal rod or something hanging and making sound while on rough roads right? Also, it's more audible when you ride adjacent to wall or median with windows open? Then, I guess, it's the same.

For a long time I too was thinking it's from the engine bay, however, just recently discovered it "maybe" the silencer. I hear this sound even while I shut both the right side doors. So, couple of days ago, while I was taking something from the dicky, my son shut the door and I heard the sound from the rear. I asked him to repeat it while I bent down to check it underneath. Looks like it from the rear than the engine bay, so thought the silencer is loosely fixed, maybe a screw or bush something. But, I am a shock now, hearing MASS quoted 3K for this and what would Ford be?!

Last edited:
oh yeah figoian you described the sound correctly[:D]. Yes it become quite audible when we drive between walls or through tunnels.
But I am not getting any sound when my car is not in move.It doesn't make any sound while shutting doors or when i deliberately make the car shake.

Any way check it out and reply me if you find a solution.

Thank you.

oh yeah figoian you described the sound correctly. Yes it become quite audible when we drive between walls or through tunnels.
But I am not getting any sound when my car is not in move.It doesn't make any sound while shutting doors or when i deliberately make the car shake.

Thank you.
True, it doesn't sound when stationary, however, for me while shutting the doors.

Any way check it out and reply me if you find a solution.
I have been hearing it for quite sometime and even before the recent 50K service. But unfortunately, it vanished just on the day when I gave it for service and I wasn't able to show it to the SA. Again, back to square one. Just wondering how these cars know when they visit their clinic [frustration]

Any solution to stop door glass squeaking?

I managed to fix almost all rattle in my swift by myself. replaced all the door pad clips, damped the doors and boot, used cable tie to fix loose wiring done by aftermarket guys which were rubbing against plastic panel etc. Now the car cabin is almost quiet except the squeaking sound from door window glass especially from driver side windows which is an irritating one. Any way to fix this?

Hyundai i gen i20 rattles?

Hi guys does your Hyundai igen i20 rattle?
I have a 2012 igen i20. My vehicle has sort of small rattle from stereo area when i go over the small white rumble strips that have been created in the last one year or so all over NCR area. And one small noise sometyms from the rear hatch. Which seems to be the jack being kept loose as there is no place to keep the jack tight in igen i20 like others have in their vehicles. In my previous 1 st gen zen and even vista had a place.
Any solutions for both of these rattles. It is strange as i am a sedate driver and i am cautious not to speed on any pot holes.

after ac servicing from TASC dash board and gear lever start rattle sound
dash rattles in neutral and gear lever rattles at the speed of 70-80 that time if i press the gear lever to mine right side the rattle disappear and when i leave the rattling sound comes back there is also some play in gear lever how to fix it ?

Left front side sound

alto lx.
There used to be a sound (krrrrk krrk)in the left side while taking a sharp turn specially while goin up.Also the coolant reserviour is making a lot of noice. Phur phur

Ford Ecosport 2016

Bought this new, but after about 3 years the rear door rattles when driving over a hump or extensively rattling when driving o a corrugated road. Have myself tried adjusting - no luck. SA reckons replace the rubber dust seals, however this I cannot agree with. Have also driven without the rear wheel cover - still no luck. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Bought this new, but after about 3 years the rear door rattles when driving over a hump or extensively rattling when driving o a corrugated road.
Can you explain what type of rattling sound is heard?

Check the following:
1. Play in boot struts;
2. Play in door hinges;
3. Condition of the rubber seals;
4. Parcel tray (if mounted)
5. Rear wheel nuts are tightened or not;
6. Any other loose items in the boot area that might be moving around.

Top Bottom