Quick Trip: Fairfax (Virginia) to Durham (North Carolina)

Thread Starter #1
Total Distance: 740 miles (1184 Kms)
Vehicle: 2006 Honda Civic
Total Fuel: $87

So here is another short trip that I did last week. I bought a pre owned 06 civic on 9th may and did the trip on 10th may. So got an excuse to test the skills of my new civic[:D]. I did this trip from Fairfax, VA to Durham, NC. The distance was 257 miles (411 kms) one way. The reason for the trip was a part of my background check for my new job. So I got a new job with Fidelity Investments as a Business Systems Analyst, I got the confirmation for the job 3 days ago and for the background check they had to take my picture and finger prints. So for that I had to go to their Durham location.

I had my appointment at 1:00 PM on Friday and the drive was for about 5 hours for which I had to leave at 7:00 AM so that I can be there by at least 12:00 PM. Keeping 1 hour buffer as i didn't wanted to get late. I had to take I-95 (Interstate) which is usually heavily backed up during the morning hours. So to avoid the traffic backup in the morning I left Thursday evening and stayed at my uncle’s place. He stays in Williamsburg which was in the way to Durham and 2 hours from Fairfax.
So I left on Thursday evening around 3:30 PM and reached my uncles place around 6:00 PM and the distance covered was 145 miles (232 Kms). I didn’t check my mileage at that time since I didn’t fill my tank. But after reaching my uncles place I got a full tank for my next day trip.

So the next day I left for Durham at around 7:45 AM accompanied by my cousin. We didn’t took any break, so we reached Durham, NC by 11:00 AM. And we had covered 200 miles (320 Kms).

And man the car runs like a new one. Though I feel a little bit of lag from 0 – 15 MPH. (0 – 24 Kms). Maybe it is because I am still used to my 07 Sonata which was a 3.3L V6 engine. The highest I did was 94 MPH (150.5 Kms). The car was stable and I didn’t feel tired at all after driving for 3 hours. There were no vibrations while driving at high speeds and the seats are well positioned as well. I also the checked the cruise control for a while and It was working good as well. I don’t like putting my car on cruise though, gets really boring.

Since I reached the clients location at 11:00 AM and my appointment was at 1:00 Pm, so I thought of calling the guy with whom my appointment was fixed to see if he could do it earlier. So he said that he had another appointment at 11:15 but he could squeeze me in and he took me in, took my finger prints and picture. And I was done by 11:15 AM. So once I was dome with my work, me and my cousin went to Place where we played pool had some beers and our lunch.

Then around 2:00 PM we were back on road and left for Williamsburg as I had to drop my cousin back. After driving for around 2 hours we took a small break as all my fuel bars were gone. So I took gas and filled up my tank. It took around 11 gallons of gas and my gas tank was full. The tank capacity for the civic is 13.2 gallons and since it only took 11 gallons that means even after all the bars are gone there is still 2 .2 gallon left in the tank. So on one full tank I did 420 miles (672 kms). This included 90% of driving on the highway and I was driving between 65 mph – 75 mph (104 kms – 120 kms) with AC. So I got 38 mpg (16.16 KML) which Is really good. After seeing this FE I have started loving my civic more[:D].

So after taking the gas we left and reached at my cousins place at 5:00 PM covering 250 miles (400 kms). Took a 30 minutes break at my uncle’s place and then I left for Fairfax, VA and reached home around 8:00 PM covering another 145 miles (232 kms) in 2.5 hours.

Last edited:
1184 KMs in 84 dollars!!!!

You must be kidding me!!

My mate bought my car from sydney

he drove it from there to Melbourne ,800 Kms and my car took 2 Tanks of fuel ! 80 bucks for one tank .. so 160$

Hi singh890, another lovely short trip log, congrats for your civic and new job, where are the pics buddy waiting for them.

Thread Starter #5
Hi singh890, another lovely short trip log, congrats for your civic and new job, where are the pics buddy waiting for them.
Thanks ToughGuy. Actually there was not much for taking pictures as i went and came back the same day. But i do have a small video which i'll upload ny tomorrow.

Thread Starter #6
Well made another trip from Fairfax to Durham, NC 350 miles (560 kms) on Sunday as i got my joining date as the 21st May. Did the same route, went to to uncles house a day before and came to Durham, NC by Sunday evening and joined my new job on Monday.

Did clicked few photographs this time, will upload them by tomorrow.

Awesome roads singh890, you must have fun driving your city on these roads, i am surprised to see Kizashi there :)

Thread Starter #11
Hey Guys i just did the same trip again. I left on Thursday and was back on Friday. So the travelogue is almost the same. So don't have anything new to add to the travelogue though. But yes sharing some pics from this trip.
IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

That's the Marlboro production plant.
IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

IMG_0733.jpg

Thread Starter #12
Pics Continued..

Testing her limits[;)]. And 111000 miles makes no difference to Civic. Drives smooth and that number just went to increasing. but i didn't went further coz i was 20mph over the speed limit. Just wanted to check so reduced the speed once it touched 91mph (146 kmph).
IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

Sometimes overtaking these monsters is scary.
IMG_0735.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Made the same trip and came back today. While coming back there was a terrible storm felt like driving in a tornado. The speed limit was 65 mph and at places i had to drive at 20-25 mph "WHY", not only because of the poor visibility due to rain but because of the wind.
The storm was so strong and windy that it was literally pushing my civic to the next lane. It was hard to maintain the car even at 35-40mph. Couldn't take pictures since i was busy handling my car,but did make a small video and after the storm passed i did take 2 pictures, And i guess one of them is just amazing.

(Came across this on my way back)
IMG_0748.jpg

This was when the storm started building up
IMG_0752.jpg

This is the scene after the storm passed
IMG_0756.jpg

Here is a small video. .check the lighting towards the end of the video. And at times the lighting was about 5 times comparing to the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTIw7b747go&feature=g-upl

Last edited:

Top Bottom