Questions Regarding ICE

Thread Starter #1
Ihave a pretty nice audio system...Pioneer FH P6050UB HU, Pioneer TS S201 50W Tweeters (X2), 400W JBL oval (X2), a Blaupunkt 750W mono block amp and a 1000W Hertz Sub. The thing is i have 4 door speakers (not great ones - they are 150W panasonics that came with the car but they sound pretty decent actually - will upgrade to kenwood when i have the money) but only 2 are connected. People are telling me not to connect the other two because it will reduce sound quality. is this true? and why? also, i want to make my car neat - as in a plexiglass box for my amp, complete with neon lighting and carpets (currently, its just screwed to the back of my seat), etc. any place you know that does a good job of these things? and what sort of budget should i be looking at?

Totally confused!!!

buddy, you need to tell us what is installed where!

1) first of all, which car is this?

2) from what i have read, you have 6 speakers but no amp to any speakers. am i right? please tell us which speaker is installed where!

3) what do you mean by tweeters? you bought only the 2 tweeters? or did you buy comps? if its only tweeters, then it wont have a crossover.

4) why do you want to upgrade to kenwood speakers? they are not great.

5) where & how is you sub connected? i understand the mono amp powers it but where is it installed? on the parcel tray? if in a box, is it a sealed box or a ported box?

I would say, let the amp & sub be. discard all the 6 speakers & the tweeters. the tweeters are useless without a crossover.

I) get a sealed box for the amp : Rs. 500-700/-
II) get a set of component speakers for the front : decide on your budget. good brands are JBL, illusion, kicker, ground zero, polk, etc.
III) get a set of co-axial speakers for the rear
IV) most importantly, get an amplifier for the components. a 2 ch amp will do, if you have the budget, go for a 4 ch one.
V) last but not the least, get a good wiring kit & you are done. your car will rock!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
1) its a hyundai getz prime

2 & 3) i have 4 door speakers and 2 6" X 9" oval speakers on a tray at the rear. the tweeters were purchased separately but they are component tweeters that are connected to my speakers (does that make sense? check out "http://www.pioneer-india.in/Product.aspx?id=34" for the specs of the tweeters).
The HU has 3 RCA outs. 1 powers 2 door + 2 tweeter component, the 2nd out powers the ovals at the back and the 3rd powers the amp and sub.

PS: like i said im new. this is what i understand. if this isnt possible, then let me know!

4) ok, dint know that. my friend has kenwoods and it sounded brilliant...anyway, that was just an option.

5) The sub comes with a factory sealed box and its is connected through the mono amp and sits in my boot.

I) get a sealed box for the amp : Rs. 500-700/- What exactly is this and why is it required?
II)
III)
IV) most importantly, get an amplifier for the components. a 2 ch amp will do, if you have the budget, go for a 4 ch one. This was my initial doubt! how much does the speaker sound quality differe with / without an amp them?
V)

[thumbsup]

first of all, what is your budget?

ok, since its a Hyundai getz, the most ideal setup would be components in the front connected to an amp, then co-axials in the rear & a sub in a sealed box.

since you already have a good sub with a mono amp, let it be.

as you have purchased the tweeters separately, i think they came without the crossovers. so this is not good for SQ. hence i suggest you invest in a set of new component speakers for the front. this will come with the midbass, tweeter & crossover as a package. add an amp to it. buy a 2 ch or a 4 ch amp. if you buy a 4 ch amp, you can even power the rear co-axials with it.

why do you have 6 speakers? keep the 4 door speakers (comps in the front as suggested above) & keep a pair of JBL 6"x9"s for the rear. if you buy a 4 ch amp, you can connect even these JBLs to the amp, else if its a 2 ch amp, only the front comps will be connected to the amp. the rear JBL will be running off the HU, which is perfectly fine too.

sell the two extra 6x9s & invest some amount in good wiring. you already have a 3 RCA HU which is good.

since you already have a sealed box, ignore my suggestion of the box!

component speakers compulsorily need an amp. they will sound flat without an amp. no point in investing in comps if you dont want to add an amp.

so your final setup will look like this-

1) Front : Component speakers (new) - i would recommend Illusion EL 6.1
2) Rear : Co-axial speakers (existing JBL) - fit them on the door if the getz already has a speaker slot on the door, else on the parcel tray.
3) Sealed sub in boot : let it be
4) Mono amp for sub : let it be
5) 2 ch or 4 ch amp for front & rear speakers : depending on your budget
6) Good wiring is a must, dont skimp on it.

Your car will rock!

Hey Jakx,

Is your head unit Pioneer FH P6050UB ?? if so does this have 3 RCA's outs ?? because I was planning to buy as I found it really good system by features and but one of the installers while asking over the phone told me this has only 2 RCA's, so that's when I dropped the Idea.

Could you please confirm this confusion of mine and Do let me the price & when you purchased ?

Thanks

Thread Starter #8
ok, yea, i did check and it does have only 2 outs but then how am i running all those speakers with 2 outs? dosnt make sense to me....

@raj, thanks a lot bro. could u tell me the aprox cost of the EL6.1? also, i was thinking of the JBL 750W 4channel amp...is that any good?

@Honda Machine: yea sorry about the confusion man. my bad! anyway, i bought it in december 2008 for 9.5K.
-----------Next Post-----------
@ raj:
when you said sealed box for the amp, did u mean for the sub?? if not, whats a sealed box for the amp??

also, i love the ICE setup of ramie's getz (obviously) but i was wondering how much it would cost to make that kind of appearance mods like the plexiglass casing and neon lighting, etc...

Last edited:
ok, yea, i did check and it does have only 2 outs but then how am i running all those speakers with 2 outs? dosnt make sense to me....
3 pre outs make sense if you have all the 3 'rows' of speakers (front + rear + sub) connected to an amp. if you have only the front & sub connected to the amp, 2 pre outs are sufficient.

@raj, thanks a lot bro. could u tell me the aprox cost of the EL6.1? also, i was thinking of the JBL 750W 4channel amp...is that any good?
illusions will cost Rs. 7500/-

JBL 4 ch amp - GT5-S644 will cost Rs. 5500/-. its an 800W amp. i would call it the best VFM amp in this budget. if you have a better budget, there are better options available, but of course!

India JBL

by buying a 4ch amp, you can power both the front & rear speakers.

@ raj:
when you said sealed box for the amp, did u mean for the sub?? if not, whats a sealed box for the amp??
sorry, i meant a sealed box for the sub, you already have that.

also, i love the ICE setup of ramie's getz (obviously) but i was wondering how much it would cost to make that kind of appearance mods like the plexiglass casing and neon lighting, etc...
i would suggest such fibre enclosures only if you have that kind of a powerful sub. the hertz 1000W is not powerful enough for a fibre enclosure. for that kind of a setup, you will need a sub which will cost 15k+, then an amp to support that which will cost 10k+. then the lighting & enclosures cost extra. hence, i asked your budget initially.

most importantly, you will have to find a good installer who knows to make such enclosures. remember, such enclosures have to be designed on the basis of the sub. you cannot just make any size & shape of the enclosure.

raj_5004
hi bro. i need some advice regarding my ice.
i ve got a maruti 800. its fitted with a jvc kdr521head unit, amp is j bl gt x646 800w, 1100watt jbl sub, the front speakers are 230 watt jvc 3way coaxials and the rear oness are xplod 300 watt ovals in box. so can you advice me the best possible connections. presently the amp is connected to the sub and the rear speakers, and i am not satisfied with the sound quality. and 1 more thin, the front speakers are not producing any sound, i mean if you take your ear very close to them only then you ll notice sound from them. plz help. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom