Questions About New Bolero M2DiCR

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,
I am planning to upgrade my Maruti Zen Estilo. The rising petrol price is compelling me to put my hands on a diesel vehicle. I am more inclined to an SUV or something similar. But my budget restricts me to consider the cheapest diesel SUV in India, Mahindra Bolero (or MUV?). My budget is limited to 7.5L on-road. In my city, it allows me for a Bolero ZLX. Following are some basic information that may help you in advising me.

Budget : 7.5 L On-Road
Priority : Bolero
Monthly Running : 1.5K - 2K KMs (Mostly in Highway)
Purpose : Family Trips (we like to travel and planning for some trips of 500-750 KMs)
Seating : 5 Adults + 1 Kid (2 years old)
Fuel : Diesel
Body Type : SUV

As a first step, I searched some of the forums and could get some information about Bolero. But most of them are about the old Di or CRDe and could not find any about the new variant, with the M2DiCR engine. Heard that it is the same Di engine with some CRDe head attached to it (am I right?). But I need the specific answers to my below questions.

The second step was a test drive. Took a test drive of about 5 KMs. To an extent, I am happy with the drive-ability of the machine. I am not an aggressive driver and am happy with a cruising speed of 80 KM/Hr. I will be happy if it can go up to 120 KM/Hr (am I expecting too much?).

1) What about the reliability of the machine? By reliability, I am covering the whole vehicle, not only the engine, each and every mechanical part that can stop me in between the travel from A to B. Since this is going to be a family vehicle, I do not want to be at the middle of nowhere.

2) I do not expect somebody can sit in the jump seats at the back for a distance of 10 KM. So will it be able to occupy my family? We have 5 Adults + 1 Kid including the driver (me).

3) Brakes inspired no confidence! In fact, I am scared about the braking of TD vehicle. Is it common to all Boleros or just specific to the TD vehicle?

4) About rattles and other irritating things. I know it is not a VW or any other German. But still is it manageable? Can somebody compare this with the TATA vehicles like Sumo/Indica?

5) Expecting a low cost of ownership. Is that true?

6) What FE I can expect for my style of driving? I am usually going at 60 - 80 KM/Hr in a sedative manner. No aggressiveness till tempted. TD vehicle showed an FE of 12-13 KM/Ltr in the digital display. But I am not sure about the accuracy of this calculation. Also the sales guy told me that FE will be stabilized only after the initial run-in period of 3000 KMs and do not mind what ever is giving at the beginning.

Thanks in advance to everyone for helping me in deciding about the new Bolero M2DiCR.

Last edited:

verna

Suspended
GO FOR IT !! it is indeed good. but, i would like to know whether there is a 4X4 version of bolero these days? i wanted to buy a bolero 4X4 or a thar Di 4X4

Thread Starter #3
GO FOR IT !! it is indeed good. but, i would like to know whether there is a 4X4 version of bolero these days? i wanted to buy a bolero 4X4 or a thar Di 4X4
Thank You verna. Per my understanding, M2DiCR 4x4 is not yet launched. But Mahindra is working on that and will be launched soon.

Last edited:
Bolero does not come with 4x4

novice29 Have you checked Scorpio Base model , this has same engine like bolero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5
novice29 Have you checked Scorpio Base model , this has same engine like bolero.
Thank You for the suggestion Surfer. I am assuming that you are talking about the Ex variant. I did not get a chance to use/drive this one and also not sure whether this will be having the same look and feel of an Lx or other higher variants. Also my budget may not be sufficient to accommodate this one (7.5L on-road).

350Z

Core Team
Welcome to The Automotive India, Novice29. Mahindra Bolero is a tried and tested vehicle. The company has consistently upgraded the Bolero to weed out the commonly reported flaws but looking at your requirements, I would also suggest you to wait for the upcoming Mahindra Mini-Xylo. It looks much sophisticated than Bolero and should suffice the needs. Since the starting price of Mini-Xylo will be lower, you can expect the mid or top-end variant to easily fall under your budget. Please refer to this link to know more about it: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s-mini-xylo-challange-rio.html?highlight=xylo

Drive Safe,
350Z

Welcome to The Automotive India, Novice29. Mahindra Bolero is a tried and tested vehicle. The company has consistently upgraded the Bolero to weed out the commonly reported flaws but looking at your requirements, I would also suggest you to wait for the upcoming Mahindra Mini-Xylo. It looks much sophisticated than Bolero and should suffice the needs. Since the starting price of Mini-Xylo will be lower, you can expect the mid or top-end variant to easily fall under your budget. Please refer to this link to know more about it: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s-mini-xylo-challange-rio.html?highlight=xylo

Drive Safe,
350Z
But he needs a 7 seater which mini xylo doesn't have.

Novice29 Bolero is a good vehicle than the competitors and has proved its ruggedness over the country.

There is no M2Dicr engine option available in the bolero but the old Di engine is tweaked now and the new CRDe system has come inside the engine which makes the vehicle smoother than before and low-end torque is present.And this is the cheapest CRDe engine available in India

If you are keen on M2Dicr then you should consider the bare basic Model of Scorpio only with an aircon and power steering.

The claimed mileage of the New bolero is 15kmpl as you drive below 100kmph you may get more than 15kmpl.And Don't worry about the top speed it can hit 130kmph(a new bolero was giving an competition to my alto at the same speed in TN highway)

I say it is a better option to buy our country's largest selling SUV and best suited for Indian roads.

Else if you don't mind on the brand image and old school looks, Sumo gold maybe added to your list,it has spacious interiors and considerable features(not like bolero though).Even that vehicle has CR4 engine making 84HP but not the torque like Bolero.

Thread Starter #8

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thank You 350Z. I was considering Mini-Xylo also earlier. But after the scoop pictures, I am not impressed with the looks. It is more of a hatch-like vehicle for my eyes and I would like to experience an SUV feeling next. Anyway I am planning to get my new vehicle in the early 2012 (whenever the manufacturing date falls in 2012). So I shall wait and keep an eye on this one (in case it is coming in January).

But he needs a 7 seater which mini xylo doesn't have.

Novice29 Bolero is a good vehicle than the competitors and has proved its ruggedness over the country.

There is no M2Dicr engine option available in the bolero but the old Di engine is tweaked now and the new CRDe system has come inside the engine which makes the vehicle smoother than before and low-end torque is present.And this is the cheapest CRDe engine available in India

If you are keen on M2Dicr then you should consider the bare basic Model of Scorpio only with an aircon and power steering.

The claimed mileage of the New bolero is 15kmpl as you drive below 100kmph you may get more than 15kmpl.And Don't worry about the top speed it can hit 130kmph(a new bolero was giving an competition to my alto at the same speed in TN highway)

I say it is a better option to buy our country's largest selling SUV and best suited for Indian roads.

Else if you don't mind on the brand image and old school looks, Sumo gold maybe added to your list,it has spacious interiors and considerable features(not like bolero though).Even that vehicle has CR4 engine making 84HP but not the torque like Bolero.

Thank You Vishwas for a detailed reply. The official Mahindra Bolero site is calling the new engine as m2DiCR. Anyway whatever it is, I am happy as long as it is reliable [:)]. It is good to hear about the FE and the top speed.

About Tata Sumo, I am not looking at that option as my wife will not be happy with the looks of that vehicle. She likes the looks of Bolero. Other than the looks and some silly features, she does not care much about the engine or other mechanical things that run the machine [:)]

And about Mini-Xylo, in some of the forums I read that Mini-Xylo is a 7-seater, with 2 jump seats at the back. But not sure on the correctness of that data.

Thank You Vishwas for a detailed reply. The official Mahindra Bolero site is calling the new engine as m2DiCR. Anyway whatever it is, I am happy as long as it is reliable [:)]. It is good to hear about the FE and the top speed.
And about Mini-Xylo, in some of the forums I read that Mini-Xylo is a 7-seater, with 2 jump seats at the back. But not sure on the correctness of that data.
Okay whatever maybe the engine but CRDe engines have proven better in Indian vehicles.

About Tata Sumo, I am not looking at that option as my wife will not be happy with the looks of that vehicle. She likes the looks of Bolero. Other than the looks and some silly features, she does not care much about the engine or other mechanical things that run the machine [:)]
Yes its too dated to see in our roads and the rival(bolero) looks modern ages apart from sumo.

And about Mini-Xylo, in some of the forums I read that Mini-Xylo is a 7-seater, with 2 jump seats at the back. But not sure on the correctness of that data
Its difficult to put the jump seats in the xylo,There were news regarding that 7 seats in Mini xylo but some sources said that it will come only with 5 seats but spacious.

Hi All,
I am planning to upgrade my Maruti Zen Estilo. The rising petrol price is compelling me to put my hands on a diesel vehicle. I am more inclined to an SUV or something similar. But my budget restricts me to consider the cheapest diesel SUV in India, Mahindra Bolero (or MUV?). My budget is limited to 7.5L on-road. In my city, it allows me for a Bolero ZLX. Following are some basic information that may help you in advising me.

Budget : 7.5 L On-Road
Priority : Bolero
Monthly Running : 1.5K - 2K KMs (Mostly in Highway)
Purpose : Family Trips (we like to travel and planning for some trips of 500-750 KMs)
Seating : 5 Adults + 1 Kid (2 years old)
Fuel : Diesel
Body Type : SUV
Hey novice29,
Bolero is indeed a rugged vehicle but its also not a very comfortable vehicle, I urge you to go and test the new Sumo GOLD with your entire family ,it has 3.0LT cr4 engine 85 PS power with 260 NM torque ,ARAI approved best in class mileage of 14.7 kmpl and top end GX comes at around 6.71 lakhs ex-showroom which is even cheaper than Bolero ZLX.And you will get double AC, defogger,power windows and other cool stuff in it as well.

You also can try Sumo Grande EX, it is most comfortable of all these 3 cars and has amazing space even in the 3rd row.Once again i urge you to test drive bolero,sumo gold, and grande back to back with entire 7 people of your family, that is the only way you will realize that which is the best family mover/MUV out of these three not only for you but for your entire family.Cheers and good luck on your decision.

THE X-OVER

Last edited by a moderator:
Well under 7.5 on-road and a 7 seater too your options could be between Thar, Sumo, Bolero, Tavera, ICML Rhino and Venture. Sumo Grande is probably just beyond that budget and so would be xylo/scorpio. For the Thar hard top u'll end up spending a lot more and its really not a family thing.

My suggestion is between Bolero/Sumo/Tavera(the facelifted one is round the corner) do some back to back detailed tests and get the one that suits your needs the most - All 3 are proven workhorses, though Bolero is the best seller in this segment !!

There could be more options post the auto expo - so waiting might be worth it!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Thank you all for the suggestions.
Both variants of Sumo were a strict No-No from the higher authority (read this as my wife). I did not even ask for the reasons behind that. Because, we have a Maruti Estilo now which I bought soley on my decision (due to budget constraints at that time). Whenever we go for a trip in that, she is becoming an auto-expert and finding out a lot of niggles in the vehicle. We have a Swift too which was a combined decision. When we are in Swift, she is purely a novice who does not know what a car is!!! So I do not want to take chances this time. [lol]

Jokes apart, I am a fan of the traditional jeep looks and I could see Bolero closely matches with that. Features except AC and basic seating comfort are not a high priority. The major concern is the reliability of the machine. Also a respectable FE, I meant something above 12 Km/Ltr.

About seating, my plans are 2 at the front, 3 + 1 (2 year old kid) at the middle row. Not planning to put some one in the jump seats. This would suffice my requirements.

The vehicle would be a sort of week-end vehicle for me. No daily run. Weekly some 500 Kms and idle for the 5 week days. Can somebody advice me on this? I am not sure how safe it is for diesel vehicle to be idle for 5 days every week. [confused]

The vehicle would be a sort of week-end vehicle for me. No daily run. Weekly some 500 Kms and idle for the 5 week days. Can somebody advice me on this? I am not sure how safe it is for diesel vehicle to be idle for 5 days every week. [confused]
Those days have gone where a diesel vehicle should run daily,Now it is not that's why the CRDe technology has come,it acts almost like an petrol engine and will start with ease even after a month when switched off.

If you use this for weekend trips why not buy an eeco? Its a petrol one means lesser maintenance costs and lower EMIs.It has a good aircon unit and the steering is good enough to handle.

Top Bottom