Purchasing a Vehicle Vs Driving it Ethically

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Purchasing a Vehicle Vs Driving it Ethically.​

Friends,

You all shall agree to the fact that buying a vehicle in today’s time has become much easier than it was 2 decades back. Thanks to the literacy levels that have risen, also the resources to buy a vehicle are easily available now. Owning a vehicle is undoubtedly a matter of pride for everyone right from a biker to a person owning a truck. However, another important aspect that has been coming in my thoughts quite often is how many owners/drivers do actually know the most appropriate manner and safe manner of driving? On Road, one can see number of examples where the owner/driver might own the costliest SUV/Sedan/any car or bike but they are least bothered of the way they are driving. Apart from this, I feel these types of drivers are rouge bulls who do not know how to drive but just to show-off their materialistic wealth they buy a car and become the “Gaadi Wale Bhai Saab”. It is really not difficult to pick such cartoons out of the sane driver’s lot. I commute on one of the busiest routes of Noida and over there I do see many such supposedly educated drivers driving their cars/bikes on roads in a manner like they have just driven a tractor in the field before holding the steering wheel or the bike. Its really very sad to see the cars/bike being put through so much of damage.

For such drivers owning a 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler is a matter of power. The bigger the vehicle, bigger is their might. For such drivers the favorite class of vehicle begins with nothing less than a SUV or a heavily tinted sedan. They are least bothered of traffic signals or the approaching traffic. For them the rule is “Me First”. If you ever happen to interact with them you’ll be surprised to that, many of them not even know how to spell the name of the car they are driving. All they know is it’s a Maruti or Toyota or Ford et al. For them the vehicle’s size matters and not the way of how it is to be driven on road. Coming to the 2 wheeler, by owning a 2 wheeler, the condition become even worse with such type of ill-knowledgeable people taking to the roads. If ever they nudge your car, they’ll in all probability cut a shameless face. So my observation over a period of time for this subject is, its not about the vehicle you drive/ride rather it’s about the knowledge of person about the vehicle that he’s riding.

Such shameless rouges are an insult to the entire motoring community pan-India. I feel, its good for someone to have resources for buying the most expensive and stylish car or bike but what is equally important is the fact that one should certainly know how to drive/ride it in a safe and diligent manner. By having improper driving knowledge, you may be having the best vehicle at hand but you’ll be seen as nothing more than a abandoned cattle which roam around freely on the road without slightest of bother about the vehicles or traffic. But, if you are a sensible human with a brain then better is to first get knowledge of how to keep a vehicle and how to drive it ethically. Money can buy you the best vehicle but not necessarily the knowledge of driving it properly.

Today’s time has become rather easy for anyone to have a vehicle but the attitude and ego of the riders/driver have gone up so high that even if they are at fault they’ll first ignore their mistake and try to justify their lunatic driving on road. These people are mostly likely to initiate verbal brawl and show their might but they forget that not everyone is going to overlook their non-sense. I honestly think, the authorities should be on the look-out of such type of drivers/riders and instantly prosecute them on road itself by impounding their licenses and vehicles regardless of the fact how well “connected” they might be.

I wrote this article because as I travel during the day, I closely observe the behavior of the traffic here and its sad to see the enjoyment of driving has got lost because of these type of fat-brained people taking to the wheels and considering themselves as best of the drivers. This is my personal observation friends; it would be nice if you all too can share your views on the same and share your experience. In the end, I just would conclude by saying, Any Car/Bike no matter how expense will project one’s status or knowledge. It is the way how one drives/rides it and keeps it. One can buy a vehicle but in today's time it is not necessary that he'll drive it ethically. Sad but True!

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
I drive an Alto 800 to work. Sometimes when I overtake a Fortuner, the SUV becomes aggressive for no good reason. Wonder why.
Because you hurt their ego. Its a sin to overtake a SUV if you are driving a hatchback or less costly sedan. [lol]
I can't understand why the people are not ready to pay for driving school to get proper training while they happily pay lacs to buy new vehicles

Don't want to start a war [:D] I am sure many SUV owners are also responsible people. But generally what I said came from what I have observed on my daily runs. Case study: In Delhi's Chanakyapuri area, there's a particular road just opposite the statue of Mahatma Gandhi leading some people on a march. I take this road everyday while going to work. There's a small road that connects to it in a T shape -- the upper bar on the T being the road that I take. Now, every time if an SUV wanted to come on the main road, it would halt and check for incoming traffic. If another big vehicle or sedan was coming, it would wait for the vehicle to pass. It has happened many times that SUVs never bother to go slow, check and join the road if an Alto was approaching. Also, the SUVs on the slip road stop for bigger vehicles that's on my front to pass and suddenly join in, forcing me to slow down suddenly. I am quite tired of this by the way. Is there an unspoken understanding among drivers that SUVs should have right of way no matter what?

Anyone residing in Delhi, Haryana or nearby places must be knowing how the Haryana roadways drivers love touching the top speed, no matter what the place or road is; show these king Ashokas an open stretch and their Ashok Leylands start overtaking everything.
Mahindra Scorpio and Toyota Fortuner are the favorite vehicles of the people from the villages of NCR where land acquisition has been done (Including my village) depending on the money reaching in bank account. More the money, bigger will be the SUV and can reach upto Toyota Land cruiser V8 (Believe me, Gurgaon village (I am not saying city, but real 'Gurgaon' village) and some nearby villages have a good number of them).

Its in the midst of Gurgaon, I came across this Scorpio lying on the central verge; off course overturned. Reason? Haha; the clash of titans! :lol!:
The Rohtak based Haryana roadways bus driver was busy pushing his chariot at maximum possible speed on the empty city road in morning (Around 7 am) when the poor Scorpio driver; despite of the green light turning red, decided to move ahead to claim his right of way. Here the poor Scorpy guy jumped the signal thinking that the road belongs to him, on the other hand the driver of bus pushed the gas even more looking at the approaching light turn green just at the right time.
What next? Bam! The Scorpion ego was wiping blood off his face and puling his mates out of his car and the Haryana Roadways ego was seen by people running across the road and disappearing.

In other words: Expect stupidity everywhere and when you find one; better get off their way. Why so? Because either the stupid soul will be crushed or will crush yours; in every way, it will be you who will be at the 'more' losing end.

There could be broadly two types of unethical drivers. One is who consciously do nasty. The other is the innocent nasty. The former is widespread. The latter is few but perhaps more annoying than the former. Take the case of my cousin sister who's learned to drive recently. I give the driver's seat to her sometimes while going out for Sunday brunch. On Delhi’s busy Ring Road she would drive at a leisurely 45 kmph on the fast lane. Then people behind would honk like there's no tomorrow. It makes me go red because technically she's the one who's blocking their way without her knowing about it. She would say "why the hell is everyone such a jerk, honking all the time even in morning." It's beyond her capability to learn which lane to drive at what speed. So, at times if the vehicle ahead of me is hogging the fast lane at a snail's pace (highway is different matter), I do assume that the driver must be innocent nasty.
But nasty is nasty! It's still unethical.

Firstly a good thread to start.

Now basically the capacity to own a vehicle has risen owing to increase in income levels and easy loans. People who used to drive the 2 wheelers are now driving the 4wheelers. People who do not know driving but have purchased car because they can afford. We donot have strict rules in giving licenses. Money power have made people arrogant. I have money i am the king of all i survey.

All these put together have created road monsters. No respect for rules, no patience and dont know to drive. 4 wheelers are driving like 2 wheelers.

I feel that truck drivers these days are much behaved lot on road than the so called elite and educated driving the 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers.

Solution:
I dont think theres any solution unless the police are as strict as hell. But that will not happen, making cars purchase difficult (industry will not allow that), implementing strict rules to get license (very difficult again)

I think it has to start from school where traffic awareness should be taught from first standard to 10th. Govt should impose heavy penalties which will make police officers take more bribe (if the fine amount is Rs1000 why would any police guy accept a 50 Rs bribe.. they will increase the bribe to around 100 -500) that would still deter the people from breaking rules.

Very large fine is the only deterrent in India because the other ills are so entrenched that it is impossible to cure them. RTO reforms? Impossible. With large fines will also come misuse of power by traffic cops. But it would be difficult to take bribe if the fine was some Rs 5,000 for mundane violations. Overall the situation may improve -- law-fearing motorists, cops who are scared of losing jobs. The only problem I can't understand is how to solve traffic mess in towns. In the metros things are a bit organised. People do stop at traffic signals. But in small towns everybody is a king. Stop at a traffic signal and risk being called a fool. That's the attitude. Plus traffic law enforcement is unheard of in towns. Here a very large fine might not work. In fact nothing might work.

Here a very large fine might not work. In fact nothing might work.
Very true that. Even I feel that there is no solution to this menace. Strict laws like singapore may work in cities but not in villages. Finally it will upto people to realise whats correct. Some how if you make driving sensibly as the fashion statement and status symbol, probably we indian who are status concious would take up good driving. Probably. Films should promote good driving. Masses do imitate what is shown in films. So may be I think alternate learning methods may be solutions but ..

From my personal experience the KSRTC drivers were the worst lot back in the 90s now though they are rash there is a method in the madness. The most impolite drivers are the cabbies who drive big MUVS. When I used my wife's zen once a xylo cabbie blocked me from overtaking him on the MC road risking a collision. I saw him at a KTDC motel and asked what the hell was he doing ? He said he had the bigger car so he had the right of way ! He flicked the steering to the right while I was mid way ahead of him. I let the maniac pass after I braked hard and moved to the right risking a head on collision . Had I been driving my safari I would have shown him what the old tusker could do to his xylo. SUVS are like nuclear weapons If rogues have them gentlemen need them for defense. I am sure the xylo guy would not have messed with my safari.

Now basically the capacity to own a vehicle has risen owing to increase in income levels and easy loans.
It is not only the increase in income levels but it is also due to the Highway pattern. In Older days we only had 2 lane driving so a limited Cubic capacity vehicle was enough to go through many potholes and people spent most of their time in crossing the potholes and in that time they don't need any high powerful vehicle but nowadays most of the states have a four lane highway which made the people to buy a more powerful car for cruising.

But still with the powerful vehicles available nowadays the time taken to cover from A to B in a four lane highway is same as the time taken in older days with two lane.

We are lucky that there's no snow on our roads. Bad driving plus snow will end in much higher fatalities given the current state of affairs on our roads.

Top Bottom