Pumba: Red Harley Davidson Street 750 Ownership Review

Thread Starter #76
Brilliant post!
I am happy that you have immense sense of responsibility while riding the big horse motor bike, unlike many posers we get to see in general. Also appreaciate the honest things you mentioned on the post - back pain, stretching hands etc.

I am sure many bikers would have no clue about the points highlighted in bold. Your post will be an eye opener for them [;)]

Here in Bangalore, Harley arranges for meets & invites all customers. Once in a quarter they have a short - 200/300km drive and camping etc Long back I had been to their showroom for an interview and got to know a lot about them. The chrome accessories they had, was seriosuly impressive and no signs of any type of cost cutting at all. Truly Premium feel.
Thank You SS80.

Here in Pune also Harley arranges for long and short rides for the HOG members.

Their motorcycles definitely give you a premium feel, and the best part is any one can walk in the dealership demand for test rides get photos roam around just browsing without anyone to hang over your shoulders making you feel like why the hell am I here.

Thread Starter #77
So I finally got the most necessary addition on the Pumba, A Backrest. Finally my wife can sit pillion.

Got it done this weekend, the price for this one was 7000 INR as opposed to the 32000INR for the "Harley" one.

We did run into a bit of trouble while installing, one of the Hex screws out of 4 as per tradition started slipping on the Hex key, the mechani had to hammer it a lot and than use a flat screwdriver on one of the edges to keep it moving, other than that the installation was a breeze, it is a quick release type of backrest and can be removed from the motorcycle in less than 2 minutes.

It also has a provision to add a carrier later on.

The fit and finish is quite good, however I could see some paint peeling near one of the hex bolts, result of over tightening or vibrations I am not sure. I have notified it to the manufacturer but need your ideas as well on what can be done now?

Some pics of the backrest and Pumba.

WP_20160523_001.jpg

WP_20160523_002.jpg

WP_20160523_003.jpg

WP_20160523_004.jpg
The paint peeled.

Regards,
Kinshuk

So I finally got the most necessary addition on the Pumba, A Backrest. Finally my wife can sit pillion.

Got it done this weekend, the price for this one was 7000 INR as opposed to the 32000INR for the "Harley" one.

We did run into a bit of trouble while installing, one of the Hex screws out of 4 as per tradition started slipping on the Hex key, the mechani had to hammer it a lot and than use a flat screwdriver on one of the edges to keep it moving, other than that the installation was a breeze, it is a quick release type of backrest and can be removed from the motorcycle in less than 2 minutes.

It also has a provision to add a carrier later on.

The fit and finish is quite good, however I could see some paint peeling near one of the hex bolts, result of over tightening or vibrations I am not sure. I have notified it to the manufacturer but need your ideas as well on what can be done now?

Some pics of the backrest and Pumba.

View attachment 201819

View attachment 201820

View attachment 201821

View attachment 201822
The paint peeled.

Regards,
Kinshuk
Very neat backrest, looks sturdy, how many km have you covered, your Pumba looks just out of the SR, and what about heat around the thigh's in b2b traffic.

Sorry for the queries.

Regards

Vinod

Thread Starter #79
Very neat backrest, looks sturdy, how many km have you covered, your Pumba looks just out of the SR, and what about heat around the thigh's in b2b traffic.

Sorry for the queries.

Regards

Vinod
No Issues Vinod sir, no need to be Sorry.

Till Now Pumba has covered close to 2800km. without any logn rides majorly city commute in Hinjewadi peak traffic.

What is SR?

The heat is not much of an issue as long as it is moving and even a stand still the engine takes some time to heat up to that level, but when it heats up the Radiator fan starts up and that throws the hot air right at the inner thigh level which is not pleasant but not unbearable.

Couple of things that I have to keep in mind for the heat issue are

1. Try to keep the motorcycle moving as much as possible.
2. Reach early and leave early from office.
3. Shut down the engine as soon as you stop even if the signal is about to go green.

the paint peeeling happens as the metal used might be aluminium or something and instead of powder coating they might have hand painted it. hence the peel off so early. it nothing works out then do a brush touch up to it with satin black colour. i think it will solve the problem.

Sorry how bad of me!!! i never appreciated the backrest, as vinod sir said it looks sturdy and nicely done but dont you think 7000 is too much money for it.

P.S. catch hold of a nice bar bender and give him your backrest and let him make more such backrest and then you can sell it on ebay or OLX.:biggrin::biggrin:

Thread Starter #81
the paint peeeling happens as the metal used might be aluminium or something and instead of powder coating they might have hand painted it. hence the peel off so early. it nothing works out then do a brush touch up to it with satin black colour. i think it will solve the problem.

Sorry how bad of me!!! i never appreciated the backrest, as vinod sir said it looks sturdy and nicely done but dont you think 7000 is too much money for it.

P.S. catch hold of a nice bar bender and give him your backrest and let him make more such backrest and then you can sell it on ebay or OLX.:biggrin::biggrin:
dude 7k is the cheapest deal anywhere in India that I could find for this quality, I had a chat with the manufacturer of the backrest according to him the paint has chipped off because of the screw, he has agreed to get it touched up free of cost, and will be providing washers so that this doesnt happen again.

I even tried a couple of fabrication and engineering workshops for making my own but all of them refused.

Thread Starter #84
I finally got the time to change the front tyre from the MRF zappers to the one which should have been there in the first place.

Got a Michelin Pilot Street 110/70 - R17 from snapdeal a couple of weeks back, but didnt get a chance to get it changed.

Here are some photos of the change, the process was quite easy but the major problem comes while fitting the caliper back on the disk, that alone took me and the mechanic almost an hour and a half, the rest of the process was done in 15 minutes flat.

The braking has improved a lot, the tyre doesnt skid or squeal under heavy braking, tested it yesterday, compared it to similar situations while using the MRFs. the looks have improved too.

for those who want to do it on their own, tools required are 24mm and 14 mm ring spanner, with 6 and 8 number allen keys. and also keep in mind the caliper takes a lot of effort to go back in.

WP_20160614_001.jpg

WP_20160614_002.jpg

WP_20160614_003.jpg

WP_20160614_004.jpg

WP_20160615_001.jpg
the fina result.

Waiting for the next upgrade in the form of MRY Vyde 170 section tyre for the rear.

Thread Starter #85
The showroom called and confirmed the availability of the 170 section Vyde for the rear.

Will be getting it over the weekend along with the second service of Pumba, as of now, the charges I know of are 6500 INR for the second service and the tyre is around 9400INR. There will also be some other charges, lets see how much they turn out to be.

Thread Starter #86
Hello guys,

got the second servicing done for Pumba, costed me 6500Rs, including 3 liters of Engine oil, they also charged for engine drain bolt washer, some anti freeze coolant and a lot of taxes.

I also got the MRF Vyde 170 section tyre installed in the rear, The tyre cost was 9500INR and a 1200 INR for labour charges. the tyre looks good and feels much better in wet than the stock mrfs.

The Vyde has a softer compound in comparison to the Zappers.

Here are some pice of the tyre and the width of the contact patch.

WP_20160625_006.jpg

WP_20160625_004.jpg

the width of the contact patch around 2 inches wide.

WP_20160625_003.jpg

Will update more on the perfromance of the tyre once I get some mileage on them.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #87
Apologies for no updates since long time.

Nothing much to update, Pumba completed 1 year last month with around 4000 km of running, will be taking it for its 3rd service soon, till now it has completed close to 4500km.

I have upgraded the headlights to LED daymakers got from aliexpress and have removed the headlight cowl, removing the cowl has totally changed the look of the motorcycle. pics of the upgrade after I get the service done.

Thread Starter #88
So finally Pumba completed 5000kms, in almost 14 months.

Got the 3rd service done as well. the cost was close to 7500INR, 2500 for oil, 2000 for Service labour, 1000 for taxes and the rest for other parts and processes.

Thinking of getting some tank raisers and removing the baffle from the exhaust next.

There were close to 50 Harleys in the service center this time, approx 20 street 750s, 15 Iron 883s and the rest in big bikes, looks like a lot of people were getting ready for the IHR.

WP_20170119_002.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #90
you haven't posted the pic of the bike after the removal of the cowl, would love to see it . if you remember i had suggested this when you had initially bought the bike.
pic will post shortly. yes I remember, just wanted to have the new look after sometime, will mostly put it back again after a couple of months.

Top Bottom