Project Maruti 800 - Feasibility Check

Thread Starter #1
Disclaimer:
- I don't own the M800 now
- Eying a 2001 M800 5 speed within close circle, if everything goes well I will be getting it.
- Not a hi-fi project. For someone who get triggered with the thread title, I'm sorry to disappoint you guys

Why 800 now?
My love for this cute little machine started from school days, when even a brand new cycle was beyond our affordability. I grew without knowing about the previous gen M800 (SS80), say until early 2000's. Years passed, with God's grace we had multiple vehicles starting from Alto until Civic. Early 2000s when we had an Alto at home got a chance to own a 2000 M800 5 speed for about a year and sold since the usage of 2nd car was very minimal due to change in our business model. Though the childhood dream was fulfilled, somehow I couldn't convince myself a Type 3 in place of a Type 2.

When I wanted to purchase my first car, went straight to a used c-segment vehicle leaving the childhood desire for various reasons. And when I could afford a second car, that was meant for my parents. So comfort was the primary criteria and all my purchases were limited to c-segment. In between I managed to live my another childhood dream of Yamaha RX and completely kept aside the M800.

Now being at hometown with lots and lots of M800s around, the itch started again.

Plan:
Buy a Type3 F8D (5 speed) & convert to Type2 (SB308) by looks
Having driven all generation of 800s I always felt satisfying with the F8D combination. Though the itch of owning the classic design is something I couldn't resist, but the latest one I could buy is at least 24 years old and the newer ones had a handful of necessary upgrades (MPFi engine, rear suspension, brake booster, etc) which I don't want to miss. So decided to bet something newer and touch only the cosmetic part.

Query:
1) What are the parts to be changed apart from the below list
- Bumpers
- Lamps
- Fenders
- Hood
- Tail gate
- Steering wheel (I love the old design with 2 dedicated horn buttons)

2) What will be approximate cost for this conversion?
I may not go with brand new body panels (Fenders, hood, boot) to keep it cost effective. So wanted to understand the used parts pricing. Others like bumpers, lamps, etc will be brand new and a complete body painting

3) Color selection
I want to keep it stock as much as possible, in the mean time it should stand out in the crowd, So any suggestions on the old school OE colors?

Last edited:
Disclaimer:
- I don't own the M800 now
- Eying a 2001 M800 5 speed within close circle, if everything goes well I will be getting it.
- Not a hi-fi project. For someone who get triggered with the thread title, I'm sorry to disappoint you guys

Why 800 now?
My love for this cute little machine started from school days, when even a brand new cycle was beyond our affordability. I grew without knowing about the previous gen M800 (SS80), say until early 2000's. Years passed, with God's grace we had multiple vehicles starting from Alto until Civic. Early 2000s when we had an Alto at home got a chance to own a 2000 M800 5 speed for about a year and sold since the usage of 2nd car was very minimal due to change in our business model. Though the childhood dream was fulfilled, somehow I couldn't convince myself a Type 3 in place of a Type 2.

When I wanted to purchase my first car, went straight to a used c-segment vehicle leaving the childhood desire for various reasons. And when I could afford a second car, that was meant for my parents. So comfort was the primary criteria and all my purchases were limited to c-segment. In between I managed to live my another childhood dream of Yamaha RX and completely kept aside the M800.

Now being at hometown with lots and lots of M800s around, the itch started again.

Plan:
Buy a Type3 F8D (5 speed) & convert to Type2 (SB308) by looks
Having driven all generation of 800s I always felt satisfying with the F8D combination. Though the itch of owning the classic design is something I couldn't resist, but the latest one I could buy is at least 24 years old and the newer ones had a handful of necessary upgrades (MPFi engine, rear suspension, brake booster, etc) which I don't want to miss. So decided to bet something newer and touch only the cosmetic part.

Query:
1) What are the parts to be changed apart from the below list
- Bumpers
- Lamps
- Fenders
- Hood
- Tail gate
- Steering wheel (I love the old design with 2 dedicated horn buttons)

2) What will be approximate cost for this conversion?
I may not go with brand new body panels (Fenders, hood, boot) to keep it cost effective. So wanted to understand the used parts pricing. Others like bumpers, lamps, etc will be brand new and a complete body painting

3) Color selection
I want to keep it stock as much as possible, in the mean time it should stand out in the crowd, So any suggestions on the old school OE colors?
Most of the spare parts like critical ones coolant thermo sensor, distributor, apron, some body panels, many engine and gear box parts are stopped by MSIL.

Thread Starter #3
Most of the spare parts like critical ones coolant thermo sensor, distributor, apron, some body panels, many engine and gear box parts are stopped by MSIL.
That's sad to hear.
Body panels are manageable, but about the other mechanical parts I'm bit worried.
Any idea if the replacement parts could be sourced from other bin (Alto 800, etc) or if aftermarket parts are still available (I hope it should be)?

That's sad to hear.
Body panels are manageable, but about the other mechanical parts I'm bit worried.
Any idea if the replacement parts could be sourced from other bin (Alto 800, etc) or if aftermarket parts are still available (I hope it should be)?
Alto 800 may not be suitable, I am having most of the cars parts catalog books. But instead of going for poorly made local aftermarket parts we can get genuine working parts in "Gujuri". I have purchased many discontinued parts in good condition with plenty of life left in them from Gujuri for my carb zen. These parts are original and perfectly suits, after market ones may not suit and fail often.

Top Bottom