Process of Re-Registering a Car in India

Hello people!
Today i went to the RTO directly to try re-register our car by myself. Surprisingly the whole process got finished within 3 hours!!! Well i still have to receive the documents. The guy at the counter said it might take around 15 days! if i don't receive the post by the 15th day, then i should go there and meet them.

I went in the afternoon at around 1 O'clock, had all the required documents at hand (viz. Form 25, Insurance, PUC, RC Book, Tax Card, Speed post envelope)
1. Went to the help desk, he routed me to 'Computerization Section'
2. There they entered/updated the values by creating a new entry and routed me to 'Cash Counter'
3. Amount Paid Rs. 800
a. Re-registration charges Rs. 200
b. Penalty (For 4 months delay max. charge) Rs. 100
c. Green Tax Rs. 500​
4. Got routed to Vehicle Inspector's Office, there they checked the vehicle's chassis and engine number and asked me to start the engine, indicators, HL, Horn, Drive the vehicle in '8' formation, fast acceleration, and braking. Then he signed the form 25 and asked me to give the documents to his office. and that's it!

The broker asked me around Rs. 2500 for this!!!

I've a question for those who have already got their vehicles re-registered, How many days did they take to send the RC Book/Smart Card along with associated documents to your place? or did you had to visit the RTO to collect the same?

Thanks in advance! (^_^)

Hello all,

A follow-up on my last post
An additional item, Smart card Charge Rs. 200 has to be paid along with the application, which the guy at the help desk failed to mention! [frustration]
And I was waiting at home for the smart card for which I haven't paid yet! [lol]
Sorted out the matter and paid the amount, now got the card.
Total cost of Re-Registration is Rs. 1000 (Far better than the price quoted by the broker, and earned me half a tank of fuel [:D])

Any help on this is much appreciated - pl provide as specific details/numbers/contacts etc.

- Vehicle registered in Guj, 1984
- Condition - Not running, but is whole, no damage other than rush in few parts
- NOC from Guj can be received

We plan to bring it to Mumbai, register it here and then restore it back to make it daily driveable.

- How to re-validate the expired registration of Guj?
- Should the above be done in Guj or can be done in Mumbai alongwith name transfer
- Is there any rule in Mumbai that does not permit vehicles over 25 yrs to not ply irrespective of their condition or registration validity (e.g. premier)

Any other points to navigate through this.

AFAIK you cannot register such an old car in Metro City anymore. You should get it done in Gujarat itself and pay just taxes in MH to have peace of mind.
Bombay folks can guide you more.

what is the process of re registering a car in another state? supposed we buy a 2010-2011 car like Innova or something but it is BR01 (Patna, Bihar) registered and want to change to HR26 (Gurgaon, Haryana)... what is the procedure?

I thought of answering yesterday, but did not get time.

First you check to register a car in NCR it has to be BS4 (so you have to buy cars >2010 onward).

When you buy the car , get the original invoice copy or photocopy of same.

Apply for NOC for migration from Home state (e.g. BR/JH)

Pay taxes in new state (as per tax rules prevailing) by giving NOC and Invoice copy, Original RC, valid Insurance and PUC

Vehicle will be inspected and new address will be endorsed in RC.

After 1 year you can apply for new number.

More Read -

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f.../7857-how-transfer-car-one-state-another.html

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...elp-inter-state-transfer-buying-used-car.html

Last edited:
I brought my vehicle from Chennai to Bangalore, with the NOC from TN RTO in Jan 2012, I submitted the NOC in Bangalore RTO and also paid the road tax but then RTO in banglore did not reregister but gave a smart card with same TN registration & said it will take few months for NOC to be verified from TN and asked me to come back after few months but before 1 year. Now its 2years and 4 months since I paid the road tax. I was recently caught by police & after verifying that I have paid the Road Tax they let me go without taking any fine or bribe but warned me to reregister to KA registration immediately. My question now is do i have to apply for a New NOC from TN again or is there any penalty that I need to pay and reregister the vehicle in bangalore? I have not yet applied for reimbursement of Tax in TN but will do once my vehicle is reregisted to KA. Please Help

Also just wondering...we pay around 50-60K for Road Tax & almost same amount on Sales Tax...we also end up paying 20%(if ur slab is above 5L) of this tax(1.2L) which is 24K as Income tax as this amount is taxable... its like Paying Tax for Tax... [anger] Any thoughts ??

Last edited:
Hello people!
3. Amount Paid Rs. 800
a. Re-registration charges Rs. 200
b. Penalty (For 4 months delay max. charge) Rs. 100
c. Green Tax Rs. 500​
I have paid the road tax in Bangalore(Jan 2012) and also gave NOC at same time, I did not revisit for reregistration within 1 year(Jan 2013). Any Idea what is the penalty for not reregistering on time, delayed by 1.5 years now. I have a KA Smart Card with TN# as I submitted Chennai RC book in Jan2012. Will I have to apply for a new NOC from chennai? If that is the case will bangalore RTO give back my Chennai RC book?

need to remove the stereo head unit before going into the Inspection.? and wheel caps.?
No need to remove HU, they check for vehicle fitness only (electrical and mechanical systems). and if you've tinted paper then they might raise an issue. I didn't remove Bosch double horns either at inspection.

Top Bottom