Premium Hatchback in Exchange of My Alto Lxi

Hi there. I currently have an Alto Lxi. I have travelled 9800kms in 5 years. So I am looking for a premium hatchback as replacement. I am looking at i20, Jazz, Figo, Punto, Swift, Polo.

Following are my requirements in order of priority.
1. Kneeroom at the rear (for my parents)
2. Ride Quality
3. Mileage & after sales service/parts cost
4. Features

I was under the belief that Swift has worst rear space and i20 & Jazz has more. Today I took a test drive of i20 and Jazz. I felt Jazz was far more spacious than i20 even at the rear. I was disappointed by i20 rear space after I heard so much about it everywhere. I felt i20 more powerfull at first and second gears which is odd because Jazz is supposed to be more powerful.

One strange thing happened though. In both the showrooms I told that I am test driving some other cars. Both of them asked did I test drive Punto [roll]

Also, the delear at Hyundai told me that they have removed rear AC vents in new i-gen i20. Is it true ?

Hyundai are offering Rs. 20000 as exchange bonus. Honda is offering nothing.

Do I need to take a look at Figo, Punto and Swift ?
Welcome aboard Kumarprabhatn,I think considering your requirements you need to add one more car to your list.

Let's have a look at all the questions:-
1. Kneeroom at the rear (for my parents):-Honda Jazz,Skoda Fabia.
2. Ride Quality:-Honda Jazz,Maruti Suzuki Swift,Ford Figo,Fiat Punto,VW Polo and Skoda Fabia.All have fantastic ride quality.Hence you can select any,while Swift seems to be slightly below others on this scale.
3. Mileage & after sales service/parts cost:-Honda Jazz and Maruti Suzuki Swift.
4. Features:-Nothing beats Swift and i-20 here.

Thread Starter #17
Welcome aboard Kumarprabhatn,I think considering your requirements you need to add one more car to your list.

Let's have a look at all the questions:-
1. Kneeroom at the rear (for my parents):-Honda Jazz,Skoda Fabia.
2. Ride Quality:-Honda Jazz,Maruti Suzuki Swift,Ford Figo,Fiat Punto,VW Polo and Skoda Fabia.All have fantastic ride quality.Hence you can select any,while Swift seems to be slightly below others on this scale.
3. Mileage & after sales service/parts cost:-Honda Jazz and Maruti Suzuki Swift.
4. Features:-Nothing beats Swift and i-20 here.
Thanks. I am now thinking of getting Jazz S instead of Select version. Only thing Select adds is alloy wheels, rear tray, rear reclinable seats (reclines slightly). Next I can put accesories like parking assist (rear sensors and camera like in i20). Any one knows how much these cost ?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18
Had been to showrooms (Hyundai and Honda) yesterday. Checked out i20 Sportz Petrol and Jazz S again. If I consider the prices the cost of Honda Jazz will be 15000 more and dealer told he cannot give cash benefits for corporate offer but can give rear parking sensors which brings feature list of i20 and Jazz closer. However, offers from Hyundai end July 25. Still thinking about maintaince cost and resale value of Jazz vs i20.

Can someone please give me 0-60kmph time for new igen i20 Petrol and new Jazz ? I know 0-100 is superior in Jazz, but I am more interested in intial acceleration.

Last edited:
Had been to showrooms (Hyundai and Honda) yesterday. Checked out i20 Sportz Petrol and Jazz S again. If I consider the prices the cost of Honda Jazz will be 15000 more and dealer told he cannot give cash benefits for corporate offer but can give rear parking sensors which brings feature list of i20 and Jazz closer. However, offers from Hyundai end July 25. Still thinking about maintaince cost and resale value of Jazz vs i20.

Can someone please give me 0-60kmph time for new igen i20 Petrol and new Jazz ? I know 0-100 is superior in Jazz, but I am more interested in intial acceleration.
Kumarprabhatn,
If you want a good hatch that would be easy to handle in and around the city, Honda Jazz would be the best.
When it comes to interiors and features I20 may score high. But when it comes to petrol hatches, nothing would beat Honda Jazz.
Have you test driven both Jazz and I20 ? Drive both the cars and you will know the difference !
Select the one that you feel more comfortable with

Thread Starter #20
Kumarprabhatn,
If you want a good hatch that would be easy to handle in and around the city, Honda Jazz would be the best.
When it comes to interiors and features I20 may score high. But when it comes to petrol hatches, nothing would beat Honda Jazz.
Have you test driven both Jazz and I20 ? Drive both the cars and you will know the difference !
Select the one that you feel more comfortable with
I test drove these 2 cars. I felt Jazz as more spacious. However, I felt more power in i20 at initial pickup.

Thread Starter #21
Just heard from sales representative of Honda that they have increased the price of Jazz by 10000. Though he told me he would install parking sensors with camera and video on mirror accessory as a corporate offer. This makes Jazz base version OTR price Rs. 7,17,000 !! WTH are they thinking ?
Considering new offers from i20 the difference of price between the two is now around Rs 35,000.

This makes me get new Swift ZXi to my list. I want to know one thing. Comparing new i20 and new Swift, which has a larger kneeroom (not cabin space).

Last edited:
Thread Starter #22
Update : Going for Swift Zxi Petrol or igen i20 Sportz Petrol

Alright.. This is going to be big. Please have patience to read through [:)]

After looking around, I dropped Jazz off my list (too many fluctuations in prices, what if they stop production tomorrow because of poor sales and introduce a new similar but different car). Had a look at Swift Zxi today. They have improved interiors. I personally felt that rear knee room (not cabin space) is little better than i20. The rear seat is more flat than i20. Also, driver's seat's height can be adjusted which I earlier thought would not be necessary, but it actually is ! So I almost closed in on Swift. However.........

Maruti showroom guys told me that for additional parking assist system (rear sensors, video camera and display on inside rear view mirror) will cost me Rs 14000 bringing total OTR price to Rs 7,16,000. When I asked for offers of any kind or any freebies, they just said "No.. Nothing." [anger]

Looks like sales reps attitude has changed since I last time bought Alto 6 years back. Usually they would reason that they were giving something else that other cars wouldn't. Hmph.. !!

On the other hand, Hyundai has co-operative sales rep and is giving good offers. This brings i20 Sportz Petrol Rs. 40,000 cheaper than Swift Zxi.

Test drive :
Took a TD of Swift Zxi today. Felt great, linear acceleration, good steering. Forgot how i20 felt like, so I asked for another test drive of i20. Felt almost same, non-linear acceleration i.e. 1st gear awesome acceleration, 2nd gear poor acceleration, 3rd gear better.., smoother steering (advantage for city, disadvantage for highways). After height adjustment in Swift, I felt I could really use it in i20. However, it only comes with Asta which way costlier. Guess I can use a pillow when necessary.

The Maruti dealer himself told that prices of Swift and its spares might go up due to Manesar fiasco, since they might have to import parts.

To conclude, I am still not able to decide between these two cars. [frustration]. Hyundai offers present only till 25 July. Please help me.

Re: Update : Going for Swift Zxi Petrol or igen i20 Sportz Petrol

Maruti showroom guys told me that for additional parking assist system (rear sensors, video camera and display on inside rear view mirror) will cost me Rs 14000 bringing total OTR price to Rs 7,16,000. When I asked for offers of any kind or any freebies, they just said "No.. Nothing."

On the other hand, Hyundai has co-operative sales rep and is giving good offers. This brings i20 Sportz Petrol Rs. 40,000 cheaper than Swift Zxi.

The Maruti dealer himself told that prices of Swift and its spares might go up due to Manesar fiasco, since they might have to import parts.
MSIL thinks that Swift doesn't want any promotional activities such as freebies ,discounts etc to promote Swift's sales. But the monthly sales figures shows it to be true also.
I20 Sportz petrol may be cheaper than Swift ZXi. But If I am to choose between the two I would choose only Swift. You may have to pay a premium price for Swift ZXi. But you will get them back when you put it for sale after 6-7 years(at time of resale)

Thread Starter #24
Thank you people for all your suggestions. [:)] I booked an i20 Sportz Petrol. Here's why.

vishnunarayanan's comments made sense. What ever extra amount I paid now, I would get back after resale. So went to TD with my dad. I could easily enter the car and felt knee room was better. Then my dad tried to get in. He has bad knee. He cannot fold his knees more than 70 degree angle. He had difficulty getting in and getting out. Though he said interiors were indeed more comfortable. So [frustration]

Next I took him to i20. He said knee room was "ok" however he was able to get in and out easliy. So it was i20. Paid booking amount. Color: White

Top Bottom