Premier Back in Action with Rio – MJD Model Launched.

Over 2,000 bookings for the Premier Rio

Premier_Rio.jpg

Premier’s senior official -
We will begin the vehicle’s delivery shortly. We are starting dealers in Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Kerela, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Goa in a month’s time. We are now also looking at cities in North India as we have been getting very positive response from them through this Auto expo, and Delhi would be the first city to get one.
The Premier Rio is a rebadged Daihatsu Terios from the 90’s and is manufactured by Zoyte in China. It is brought into India as CKD and at the Pune plant, Premier fits it with a diesel engine sourced from Peugeot.

IAB

dont worry ilango, rio may sell but wont break any sales record that you should worry so much! people in india are too brand conscious.

Arun

Suspended
@raj
Remember the "comfortable" seating experience you had in the Rio? That'll alone pull the sales down. It just isn't made for H-U-G-E Indian people.

Actually the deal came up like this for premier autos

Dealer ship is for the other vehicles like the road star and its based vehicles like van , school van , ambulance , mini tipper , load carrier.

If we make the deal they'll give the dealership for rio too (they said free)

Though it was a heavy investment , i was thinking and posted here. None favored both in person or in TAI , also i was afraid ,

so moving on with minimum budget modification works hehe

I think its engine lacks refinement , also in a press release they have mentioned a manufacture of 500 rio per year , so getting a display vehicle itself is a question

1) who will play 5 lakhs for a PAL when you can buy a hyundai, maruti, etc.
Maruti & Hyundai don't have any SUV in this price range. So there may be people who want this.
2) are there enough service centres? how is the service?
There's one in Goa, so I guess other parts of India will have more than that.
3) who would buy a boring/antique 65 bhp peugot TUD5 engine in this era of common rails?
Though it's old it's still quite good.
4) will anyone buy a "chinese" product? cmon, we dont even buy chinese phones!
The US, UK & Australia buy everything Chinese. In fact even their National flags are made in China. Chinese mobiles are quite popular in India. Have you seen the SciPhone?

@raj
Remember the "comfortable" seating experience you had in the Rio? That'll alone pull the sales down. It just isn't made for H-U-G-E Indian people.
yes, infact the rear sear was so comfortable that if i stretch my legs, it will end up in the front passenger's lap!

Maruti & Hyundai don't have any SUV in this price range. So there may be people who want this.
tell me, would you need a reliable & better 'premium' hatchback or a HATCHBACK posing as a SUV?

There's one in Goa, so I guess other parts of India will have more than that.
Tata & mahindra are in this business for so many years & they sell infinite more cars than premier. still, people complain about their A.S.S! so how would premier be?

Though it's old it's still quite good.
in what ways is it good? please specify. God, its an antiquated engine from the 80's! it still needs a engine pre-heater switch when this is the era of CRDis!

The US, UK & Australia buy everything Chinese. In fact even their National flags are made in China. Chinese mobiles are quite popular in India. Have you seen the SciPhone?
buying a 5k phone & a 7L car is entirely different. you can afford to throw away a phone but not a car!

For me, if i can buy a hyundai or a honda, i will never buy a premier. yes, if the premier offers much much more than other cars, then its still considerable.

but here in this case, its pricing is on par with i20 & fabia, but-
1) rio does not have the space
2) rio does not have the image/class/respect, etc.
3) rio does not have the power
4) rio does not have the refinement
5) rio does not have the features
6) rio does not have airbags (traction control + ABS is present thankfully)
7) premier is not a reputed name nor does it have ENOUGH service centres

what else?

2,000 Rios Booked??[surprise] Right minded person/individual in a metro city with enough knowledge won't have purchased it but may be its a good weekend SUV or for Taxi purposes?

Anyone heard about the new Rio mini SUV from Premier?

I came across this recently.
Premier has launched a compact SUV named ‘Rio’, with a price range of Rs 5.25-6 lakh (ex-showroom, Pune). The Rio is powered by a 1489cc turbodiesel engine developed with Puegeot’s TUD5 technology producing a maximum power of 64bhp@4000rpm and 152Nm@2250-3000rpm. The engine fulfills the Bharat Stage III norms and the company claims fuel efficiency to be 16kpl.The car will be available in three variants, and the base model will feature power steering, front power windows, central locking and an MP3 audio system. The highest variant will get ABS and alloy wheels. The colour variants will be red, white, silver, black and blue. Talking about the dealership network, the company has 30 dealers across the country and will soon expand to 100 within the next 6 months.

This was a news article which came on Carwale.com on October 28, 2009 .
I never heard of this vehicle being sold anywhere in Kerala till date. Nor have I seen it. Was it actually sold anywhere? Or is it available now?
I must say that it looks pretty nice and compact,maybe a little dated when you look from the front end. And I also heard that it was brought in as CKD kits from China and nothing was made in India.The car is based on Daihatsu's second generation Terios model and manufactured
by Chinese four-wheeler maker Zotye Group

Thats their site address:- http://www.premierrio.com/

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops sorry then, I searched with the tags 'premier rio' and couldn't get any threads or info. I request some senior member to delete this thread then as it is unnecessary.

Thread Starter #87

350Z

Core Team
Threads Merged.
Hi Jalex, You may continue further discussions about Rio in this thread itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

What is the strategy of PAL?I mean when every manufacturer is upgrading to euro4 engines, pal has a BS3 heart in its rio.

What is the strategy of PAL?I mean when every manufacturer is upgrading to euro4 engines, pal has a BS3 heart in its rio.
PAL itself doesn't knows what their strategy is! :lol!: they have such a great looking car in their hands which is first in class in india, if they are sensible enough and use it wisely they can become a successful manufacturer.

Top Bottom