Pre-owned 1989 Maruti 800

Re: Pre-owned Maruti 800

Congrats ilango.
Well Maruti 800 is a special buy for many of us.
I remember watching Delhi roads full of Maruti's some years ago although it is quite changed now. But still it holds a special position in our lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #17

Thank you all!
the car had no clutch , engine gives out white smokes , hmm some how the car stop with the brake .

The car mechanical will be done first.

Body work later on as i have cars line up for these job , esp the sierra that is being modified. after that i'll touch my dad's car.

After the body , its wheel and running side like suspension , lower arm etc and esp the tyres . this will done at the last most part may be after some 5 to 8 months later as the car is just for city use . just a 10 kms trip if taken out.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team

Just noticed, the centre console cup holder is similar to that on my car. Add some daylight pictures after giving it a thorough wash, and also keep updating us on the progress of mechanical refurbishment task.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #19

The car is so dusty , both inside and outside
yeah its present 800 centre console that is got in normal accessory store.
Mechanical's first

Clutch plate and cover assembly need to be changed - searched a lot of some old one in garage , bad luck , the garage was cleaned some days back , hmm dont know who made money out of that.

wheel bearing gone
brakes need to be checked
drive shaft left side gone.

engine gives white smoke - must be valve and piston rings replacement , err half engine is 12000/- , but not gonna buy that for now.

tyres are bald

For now the above said will be taken care of.
and i dont like the colourless state , so will paint some thing in grey shade as in Rc book..

Thread Starter #21
the engine bay.

here are few picture of engine bay.

engine will be removed in a day or two.

Lot of rust , lot of crack in chassis and apron panel
even a crack in apron panel.
cross member in front is rusted.
Literally there is no floor itself

All the rusted part need replacement ,which are available at cheaper price at maruti authorised store.
BUT

I am not going to buy them all .
Everything is gonna be welded to get strength.
this car is purely for city and for lending purpose.

Dad want to keep cost as minimum as possible.

and welding is not a big harm. it has same strength as new one except in look wise , which affect the resale , but that resale idea is not in our mind now.

Attachments

Ilango congrats on ur new purchase and welcome to 800's owner kingdom. 25k is good buy for an 89' 800. I too own an 87' 800 and bought it for 18k. I spent nearly 40k on alteration's into a new model ie Type 3 model 800. Got it the same way as you got with engine smoking white air. And rebored it instead of buying a half engine because mine is a suzuki engine. Read more on my thread about the cost and ownership report. You may get interested on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #25

Yeah its original suzuki engine , so reboaring is best solution. buy buying a whole block is not a big harm.
For type 3 modification , you need type 3 fender and grill and bumper . else i have my own staff , who will convert them - but not gonna do that.

Thread Starter #27

i just wanted to change the piston rings and use old smoky bore. as its used only inside the city and not anywhere else.
dad inspected the car and said to change the bore and pistons too.

now the engine , head is in lathe . work is going on and every thing will be done almost in a week time . i purposely need the work to be done slow as my tinker is not free and this 800 need some tinker job.

Got some spares like piston , rings , some dummy from mgp . rest all need time. ordered the lathe itself to buy other necessary things and buy them.

hope so tinker job start from next week.

planned to paint them pearl , but the FC expired just today . so cant change to any other color , they grey shade. thinking of mixing some grey pearl and mix and match of various things.

Top Bottom