Pre-owned 1989 Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hi ,
its all sudden!

My dad need a car since i bought the lancer , he felt the lancer is too big
He is old fashioned , and still like driving omni only (our first car for 18 long years)
his budget was 35 to 40k max . He did not want to spend more.
Was about to aquire a diesel zen for 1L too but the zen was sold out.
If petrol 800 means its strict below 50 including all major work.

Car need is just inside the city drive.

Will not be taken out regularly , so a petrol(damn the price)

Went to My garage today evening after the lunch ,
hmm the wurth executive(tools) said there is a 800 for 25000/- , He was also looking for one in my dad price range.
I said , if you are not planning to buy them , i am intrested in that.
he said ok and asked to lend car if he need to go to chennai - hehe just for joke! may be , deal made ok , went and saw the car .

car starts well , brakes , gear slots and hmm drives/move.
what all etc for a 25k.

waiting for my staff to buy the transfer form . will be mine in some few hrs. pictures after i acquire them.

Make is 1989 , our old omni was same make , happy as that year make are strong and good one .

Thread Starter #2
Re: Pre-owned Maruti 800

Got the dusty one out of the work shop for a sum of 25000/-
sale commision 700/-
and the priceless petrol for 200/- , 58 per lit[evil]

Attachments

Hey congratulations bro! I think the car after some restoration works will look good. All four tyres needs a change?

Any plans to mod this?[evil]

Thread Starter #4

yep , need some paint , its kinda colourless
the owner bough new swift and is lying in that garage for a month or so may be - no exact idea.

Opened the bonnet to check the car as usual , pause for a moment , hmm for a 25000/- do i need to check all these.

And mod !! haha , k and n air filter , free flow exhaust , forged piston , ported head and what not !! NOS

I guess uncle will be happy now.[:)]

congrats da!.. Will use this 800 for my village visits during weekends hereafter[evil]

let uncle drive ikon on saturdays and sundays he he!

350Z

Core Team

Congratulations for the new old buy and also for joining the evergreen Maruti 800 club. The car is not in very good condition, but what’s more one can ask for mere 25 grand? You could have tried to negotiate a little more though. Long back, I dreamt of restoring a junk car and tastefully modifying according to my taste, that still remains a dream but I am glad that at least there’s a member of TAI who would work on it. Hope you restore it well, and offer your dad a used car that is almost as good as new. If it had not been the 800, I would have personally recommended you to go with Zen (Jellybean shape). Of course, the budget should have extended close to a Lakh but that is still a car to lust for. Nonetheless, doing a good servicing job, and replacing the current set of tires (also the wheels maybe?) will be a nice kick start, however I am afraid that the body has started to show the signs of major rusting. Do share more pictures once the car is cleaned and keep us posted, I’m subscribing to this thread. [thumbsup]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8

No zen as zen are costlier.
we sold zen and got the manza , remember? the one my uncle had.

Including paint job our max budget was 50 , rather ours it was my dad'd budget and i keep saying that no car can be got , all the cars i keep hearing etc were high!! not in his budget etc.

Suddenly by evening got to know about this.

350Z

Core Team

I'm not very sure about the second hand car prices in Pondicherry, but I think for Rs.50,000 a generation new model should have come easily. How much does the odometer reads, by the way?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10

Odometer light was dim , rather we can say no light itself!!

When i took a close look it was 6800kms. must be 1L+
bright pictures and exact report tomorrow morning after seeing the car in bright light :)

ilango,congratulation for that bargain purchase.

and expecting a regular updates with pics while you beautify her.

i think full reassembling of engine bay would be good idea which would reveal rusted areas. with some additional reinforcement and sound deadening would make it an awsome machine.
imo steering wheel brings good old memories but replacing it with a smaller sporty wheel would make it look nice .

Thread Starter #12

Thanks jayadev.

this car was asked for 23000 at maruti exchange , the owner was not satisifed and so bought the swift without exchange. He forgot the exchange bonus??

He was quoting some 30000 for this car. As the other workshop too came to know that i am into same field , he said the owner's idea was 25k. so finished off the deal .

About restoring , there is rto agent who said he can get fc certificate for 2000/- in the very same condition. the present fc get over in feb 2011.

My dad is too an engineer , not like me , where i am a ECE , he is pure automobile engineering with his masters in engineering design.

He maintains his drive really in top notch.

so i expect the mechanical side to be serviced to pucca condition.
But he doesnt care about dent and other things ,

Dont know what all work will he start. yet to discuss with dad ,
Got up and am in front of the computer.

Let us see

congrats for the bargain buy. Maruti800 has been always a special car for me. Coz I learned driving on it. congrats again.

Congrats for your new possession ilango. I believe you will have to completely redo the interiors which appear to be in a really bad shape. But since the car is in the hands of an expert, I am sure the end result would be a car as good as new or maybe better than a new one:smile:.

Top Bottom