PowerPig! KTM Duke 390 - October 2014

Yea. got it sorted out. My manual mentions 1.5l, may be KTM updated it to 1.6L. I need to replace the monoshock as it started leaking. The previous owner did tell me that it will need replacing. New one is around 6k rs.

edit: I'm also from Kerala :)

I saw this thread on the rc-390 forum where they discuss about making the odometer work without the abs. Now have you done any valve clearance/ shim changes?

The problems i have been facing lately include:
1. bike sometimes won't crank if it is heated up. Saw low battery error code when i tried cranking it continuously.
2. today after refueling, the display showed low fuel level. But the thing is i refueled even before reaching the bottom two bars. The bike jsut didn't start and i had to wait 2/3 mins at the pump and then cranked again whic hstarted the bike and took sometime for the display to show the correct fuel reading. Strange.
3. Now the biggest problem is the speedometer occasionally showing zero and then showing correct speed. It happens mainly when opening the throttle or under 4k rpm. No abs warnig light. The frequency of zero showing up increases when the headlight is on.

Still looking for good FNG to diagnose the bike.

Thread Starter #275

deville_56

Honoured Member
I saw this thread on the rc-390 forum where they discuss about making the odometer work without the abs. Now have you done any valve clearance/ shim changes?

The problems i have been facing lately include:
1. bike sometimes won't crank if it is heated up. Saw low battery error code when i tried cranking it continuously.
2. today after refueling, the display showed low fuel level. But the thing is i refueled even before reaching the bottom two bars. The bike jsut didn't start and i had to wait 2/3 mins at the pump and then cranked again whic hstarted the bike and took sometime for the display to show the correct fuel reading. Strange.
3. Now the biggest problem is the speedometer occasionally showing zero and then showing correct speed. It happens mainly when opening the throttle or under 4k rpm. No abs warnig light. The frequency of zero showing up increases when the headlight is on.

Still looking for good FNG to diagnose the bike.
Tried the resistor trick during the initial ABS failure time, it never worked.

Shim/valves taken care during engine rebuild. Did around 40k km after that. No slight sewing machine noise is there.

1. Had the starting issue with faulty engine head.

2. Can be the fuel sender (float) assembly fault or loose connection.

3. Had this issue ever since the bike was new. Raised issue at every service with KTM, which they blunt ignored. Even showed them video, they didn't do anything. Post ABS unit replacement, it has reduced to a great extent, rarely pops up now. I suspect it is poor grounding at ABS controller side. Later ABS controllers had extra ground wire.

Tried the resistor trick during the initial ABS failure time, it never worked.

Shim/valves taken care during engine rebuild. Did around 40k km after that. No slight sewing machine noise is there.

1. Had the starting issue with faulty engine head.

2. Can be the fuel sender (float) assembly fault or loose connection.

3. Had this issue ever since the bike was new. Raised issue at every service with KTM, which they blunt ignored. Even showed them video, they didn't do anything. Post ABS unit replacement, it has reduced to a great extent, rarely pops up now. I suspect it is poor grounding at ABS controller side. Later ABS controllers had extra ground wire.

First of please bear with me, i know this is your ownership thread, and pouring my issues here. but you are the only fellow 390 owner i know with whom i discuss.

1. This is the first time the bike behaved like this, so i don't think there is any issue with the head. IIf i remeber correctly, the first gen dukes had some starting issues when then engine was hot.

2. The fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner from the showroom, so the chances of float or loose connection is there.

3. Is there anything i can do to check the abs grounding?

Also, is the 390's engine reliable in the long run if taken care of properly ( i mostly shift i at 6k rpm and barely redline it)? I bought this bike since it was a dream for me since my college days and spent over a year and over 8 months of searching. I have seen people rebuild their engines post 30k km.

Thread Starter #277

deville_56

Honoured Member
First of please bear with me, i know this is your ownership thread, and pouring my issues here. but you are the only fellow 390 owner i know with whom i discuss.

1. This is the first time the bike behaved like this, so i don't think there is any issue with the head. IIf i remeber correctly, the first gen dukes had some starting issues when then engine was hot.

2. The fuel pump was replaced by the previous owner from the showroom, so the chances of float or loose connection is there.

3. Is there anything i can do to check the abs grounding?

Also, is the 390's engine reliable in the long run if taken care of properly ( i mostly shift i at 6k rpm and barely redline it)? I bought this bike since it was a dream for me since my college days and spent over a year and over 8 months of searching. I have seen people rebuild their engines post 30k km.
Clueless as to points 1 and 2. Any updates on that? Regarding grounding, try grounding the body and ABS controller body with an external wire.

Reliability-wise, it's mostly the cheaper quality gaskets and rubber parts that give way screwing things up.

This happens often on both my 200 and 390. Just ride away and you'll see the fuel level rise up slowly to the correct reading.

Clueless as to points 1 and 2. Any updates on that? Regarding grounding, try grounding the body and ABS controller body with an external wire.

Reliability-wise, it's mostly the cheaper quality gaskets and rubber parts that give way screwing things up.
1.On one instance the starter motor relay cable actually let out smoke from the starter motor side from where it connects ( the cable on my bike has a red covering, the smoke arised from there). Further investigation revealed that the nut that connects the cable to the starter motor was a bit loose and rusted. After tightening it there is no smoke, so i guess the loose connection may have overheated it. Will be cleaning the nut this weekend and bought the new starter relay cable priced at 460rs- Part number JG402236. The hesitation to start when hot seems to be there for the 2013 models as I confirmed it with a few previous owners of the machine. The only way to get it started is after 3 or 4 cranks.

2.As JingalalHoe said after 10 to 15sec it displays the correct level, so going to leave it like that.
3. Decided to live with it for now. The ocassionaly displaying zero kmph is still there.

Thread Starter #280

deville_56

Honoured Member
January 2023 - Clutch Release Shaft Replaced Finally

Got the part from the KTM dealer. Ordered a different part number, from model year 2016-17, which was a bit longer.

Clutch Shaft Assembly - JY541251 - ₹ 110.00

2023-01-27 15-21-52.jpg

Old versus new. Length is just half a centimetre long, but the difference felt due to the extra leverage is significant, clutch is way lighter now. The guy used to fix my Kinetic suggested cutting and extending for lighter clutch feel back in 2014. He used to restore 2 strokes, now is a SBK mechanic. Experience speaks. New part came factory rusted, Bajaj quality.

2023-01-27 16-17-21.jpg

Retained the older spring. Rod part is exactly the same.

2023-01-27 16-20-07.jpg

Cleaned up the engine side. No vapour leak.

2023-01-27 16-39-38.jpg

Oil/dust seal and the hole covered with a washer.

2023-01-27 16-39-44.jpg

This how the shaft is removed. Consulted two mechanics on installation process before finding the proper method from an Indonesian YouTuber mechanic, the former two suggested opening up the engine case for the same. [frustration]

Installed. Just the reverse of the video.

2023-01-27 16-52-21.jpg

Happy ending.

2023-01-27 17-33-08.jpg

December 2021 - Oil Change

Air filter box nut/mounts broken.

View attachment 301510 View attachment 301511

Fixed with superglue.

View attachment 301512
Ah, well have the same issue, but my airbox doesn't have that steel mount to where the screw sits, so the screw just grinds the plastic. Recently while checking the airbox I found a piece of the plastic at the bottom of the airfilter box. I'm pretty sure it fell inside either while tightening or removing the screw, as the holes are badly stripped and I can actually peel of the loose strands of plastic from the screw.

Will the filter actually prevent these strands that fall to the bottom during the tightening and removal process from going into the intake? From the looks of it the filter does cover the intake.

Thread Starter #282

deville_56

Honoured Member
Ah, well have the same issue, but my airbox doesn't have that steel mount to where the screw sits, so the screw just grinds the plastic. Recently while checking the airbox I found a piece of the plastic at the bottom of the airfilter box. I'm pretty sure it fell inside either while tightening or removing the screw, as the holes are badly stripped and I can actually peel of the loose strands of plastic from the screw.

Will the filter actually prevent these strands that fall to the bottom during the tightening and removal process from going into the intake? From the looks of it the filter does cover the intake.
Yeah, filter would take care of that.

Top Bottom