Polo 1.6 or Fabia 1.6 or new Swift 1.2 petrol

Thread Starter #1
I am looking to buying a new premium hatchback and I have shortlisted the following:

• VW Polo 1.6
  • Skoda Fabia 1.6
  • MSIL Swift(new) 1.2 petrol
Swift 1.2 has a half hearted feeling since I already own a swift and buying this new Swift doesn't have this new car feeling it looks too similar to my swift even engine feels the same.

Polo 1.6 - I am bowled by its looks but it misses some features like boot lamp, vanity mirror.Also I am slightly apprehensive after hearing about problems like

• rocking driver's seat ,
  • water seepage into boot ,
  • pulling of car to LHS ,r
  • ock getting stuck into brake caliper ,
  • wipers not cleaning windscreen effectively
  • fogging of front fog lamps
These issues making my decision of going for Polo difficult.

Skoda Fabia 1.6 - it looks tiny in comparison to swift and looks similar to swift but quality is A grade also features are more than Polo.
The only concern is dated design( 3 years old ), unreliable A.S.S of Skoda

I want a trouble free ownership without going to service station more often and buying process should be worry free.

Last edited:

vikram

Suspended
Hi ! im new here and this is my first post.though,i keep reading TAI and like the posts a lot.keep up the good work guys :) Well, I think Skoda Fabia is a good buy(more value for money than POLO),considering you already own a Swift and a change would be welcome
Skoda Fabia 1.6(Elegance) is a good car.Skoda is trying to improve A.S.S. these days,ppl say.

Hi, dont even think of the swift if you already own one! same engine wont impress you and you ll get frustrated after sometime.
Though i also drive a polo, i havent heard of the things that you have mentioned(may be am lucky). My brother in law banged the polo and the front bumper took 3 weeks to come( car is in Pune, VW factory is in Pune, donno why). Spare parts is a big problem though.
FABIA- is a fab ride, best in class handling, rear leg space( only an indica can beat it), real comfortable drive. Via-a-vis the polo, definitely higher on the equipment list. but make sure the Skoda service in your area is good. Skoda A.S.S. is improving is what i hear.
Finally listen to your heart, and see which of these makes your head turn when you see one on the road!! FABIA in C. Beige=drool[;)]

Why is Honda Jazz missing from your list? I feel it is one of the best petrol hatch available and that too at an attractive price.

+1 to Akash. If one is keen on a petrol car, then Honda Jazz is a strong contender. It will win hands down among competition in terms of safety, interior space and boot space.

@mumbaikar, if it was a diesel choice, then definitely I would have vouched your views on Fabia. One of the best diesel buys at present. But am little skeptical when it comes to Fabia petrol

From the pick Polo 1.6 looks the best deal. It is a new, simple yet assertive design. Good ride, tank like build, plush interiors, big boot.

But if you can stay with old design then Fabia 1.6 meets all criteria. It's positives include huge cabin space, boot, loaded with features, improving A.S.C., and proven track record.

Personally I would choose Polo 1.6 [:)]

Thank you Cortina for bringing in this thread. I was thinking about it from a very long time.

Now to your requirements.

Drop Swift from list as you are already an owner and new one is only new for the new people (nothing major to be considered as new).

Polo and Fabia are good buys and select anything with eyes closed on performance front. But if you want some features (which you already know). Consider Fabia over Polo, as earlier Fabia was without a wiper-defogger and 15" alloys. But things have changed now and it is still cheaper and bigger than Polo.

Jazz is something which I personally advice you to include in your list and consider seriously. After all it is HONDA man, with proven record and reliable service support. Whereas, Skoda and to some extend VW are not so good for A.S.S.

But before finalizing do calculate ownership of these cars considering on following parameters.

Fabia / Polo service intervals 15000kms / one year
Jazz service interval 10000kms / one year
Price of spear parts (though you wont be needing them so soon but still).
Service centre near your place.
Monthly running and average you would be getting. I think, you would get more in Jazz rather in Fabia / Polo.

And things like that which are coming in to your mind.

Take a wise decision, which you would I am sure [:)].

All the best

Last edited:
buddy before you desicion you must keep some facts in ur mind
1. your monthly run "petrol car" ? price hike are frequent .
2. dealers and service station near your place .
3. after sale service and spare parts .
4. listen to ever one go with your own [glasses]

Thread Starter #10
Thanks all for your replies.

Why petrol hatch?
My routine travel is less than 300 km/month and mostly in city, so going for diesel doesn't make sense.Yes petrol price hike is frequent but initial investment for diesel doesn't justify in my case.

Why not Jazz?
If its Honda for me it is City not Jazz however tempting it may be as I feel Jazz looks like a van and space is not a big priority for me.so it was struck.

Regarding dealership and service-
The nearest dealership is nearly 200 kms away except for Maruti which is situated within city where I live.Even Honda dealership is also 200 kms away so car servicing one a year interval as is better in my case - so thats why Swift is a contender here as A.S.S is hassle free

Frankly, I love Polo over Fabia but features in case of Polo and A.S.S for Fabia are the problem areas - is making my decision tougher.I have decided to wait as I have heard rumors of Polo being upgraded - lets see - anyways I am not in hurry- so decided to postponed buying.

AMG

Suspended
Well to me personally, Swift is like Bajaj Pulsar in more ways than one.

Both sell more than they deserve to.
Both are overhyped.
Both are bought by mostly village-folk.

And both are stuff you buy with your heart more than with your head.

Coz no practical person would.

POLO:
Performance= Good
Build Quality= Best
Features= Good
A.S.S= Poor

Fabia:
Performance= Good
Build Quality= Best
Features= Average
A.S.S= Poor

Swift: