Polo 1.5 TDI Clicking / Rattling Noise

Thread Starter #16
Few problems encountered in my 2 weeks ownership of my polo 1.5
1. Rattling from the left front door and somewhere from the dashboard near to meter console. But i am not able to localize it. But its present occasionally while driving through uneven roads.
2. After driving in rain, both the headlamps(only the indicator part) is getting fogged. Noticed it just 2 days back.
3. Wipers are squeaky and leaving marks while on action. Its there from day 1.
4. Fogging of the front wind shield while driving with AC on. It occurs in front of the vent for defrost beneath the windshield.
The problem was there in my i20, but SA said that it is there in all i20's :(
Is it the same case with polo also? I am really bugged up of these problems.[anger]

Anyone encountered any issues like this. Please share your experiences too. Is it there for all polos?
Yes, the wipers are squeaky and fogging of front windshield is too much especially during night with AC on. I did'nt met with any of the other issues mentioned by you.

The valve of AGR cooling system got faulty with my Polo 1.5 TDI in the 4rth week and got it replaced by the dealership.

Today i went to ASC to sort out the problem.
After taking a TD the SA said the following
- Rattle : The front door rattle is from the rubber beading. Its present in most of VW cars as per the SA. For confirmation i enquired with one of my best friend who has a vento. Even he was facing this issue.
He didnt get the rattles from the meter console.

- Fogging of headlamps. He advised to take a snap of the same and send it to him so that the warranty can be claimed.

- Wiper: Problem with the blade. But its out of stock. He promised to get it replaced once it comes. No issues with the alignment.

- Fogging of windshield: Couldnt appreciate it today. He advised to check on the modes of air circulation while its happening.

What is AGR? What was the issue you faced?

I have VW Polo 1.5 TDI HL bought just one month before. (24/10/2014) clocked 2100 kms. Yesterday while I was driving on highway at decent speed, I realised that I am unable to shift to 5th gear, so I again went back to 3rd , then to 4th & gradually could shift to 5th. However sooner due to traffic I had to re-shift to 3rd or 4th. On getting enough speed, I realised that now I am completely unable to shift to 5th gear as it was stucked & had to complete the journey on 4th gear only. On being taken to VW service, service ppl also faced the same problem. I am awaiting the reply from them. Can anybody help me understand what could have happened with the car ? Thanks in advance.

@ Swaraj Joshi: It looks like a recall is around the corner for clutch. So many Polos with clutch problems.

BTW, we are in the same city! How did the buying process go with Shreekripa Auto?

Worried about that [cry]

Hello, shrid
Thanks for the reply. It was rightly said by VW ppl as this is the case study for them, as it was the first time someone came with such kind of prob & the company may recall polo soon to sort out the same problem. VW has captured pics of the part having prob & have admitted to replace "shifting rod" of the gearbox. Meanwhile now I am able to shift to 5th gear effortlessly, thanks to their service.

Buying process with Shreekripa was quite good as I didn't notice any hurdle or unprofessionalism on their side. Got my car on the date as agreed. It was trouble-free process.

Last edited:
What is the problem with the clutch? Even i have a 3 month old polo tdi. I havent faced any problem till now
Sorry sir, I just went through the 2 pages and found that there were only two complaints regarding the transmission. I somehow thought that there were many.

As for me, I don't own that mean machine. But would really really love to own one [:)] [glasses]

The issue got resolved [:)]
Problem was with the clutch linkage connector (Part name told by service center), a black coloured part with a spring in the middle.

The sound came since the spring got jammed because of unknown reason. They have replaced the part, it was not necessary to touch the clutch housing or gearbox[:D].

The service Engineers and mechanics at EVM, Cheranellur, Cochin are very friendly people and moreover they are ready to listen to our complaints and able to identify the real problem, its totally different from my previous experience with Hyundai service centers( Popular & MGF) where we have to argue with them to make them understand there is a problem with the car and total careless handling of car when given for service.

Hope VW will keep the standard of service for ever [:D] .
Thanks for everyone here who poured their experience and thoughts.
Was this part like a switch buddy. Have driven a TAI member's Jetta MT and even it makes that type of sound you faced. When he sent it to VW they told him that its a small switch and it costs Rs.7000. They added on that it's not necessary for replacement though and can be driven.

Hello Experts,

I am also a owner of polo 1.5 TDI, from the day I bought this car I am noticing a slight gear vibration when I am driving in 4th gear especially accelerating from 60 to 80 km/h speed, also I get some vibration if I release the accelerator from 70 - 90 after accelerating on 5th gear. I dont get any vibration on 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, only on 4th and 5th with the specific condition.

I consulted VW service centre, they tried their best to identify the problem, even they tried to change one part but still problem did not solve. They tried 2 other 1.5 tdi polo and both of the cars are having the same problem (not the exact speed, slight variations are there), so they told its there with all polo and they cannot help much.

My request is, anyone here noticed this problem in your car ? any idea about this problem ? Other than this, I am very happy with this car [:)].

Regards
Nisanth

Hello Experts,

I am also a owner of polo 1.5 TDI, from the day I bought this car I am noticing a slight gear vibration when I am driving in 4th gear especially accelerating from 60 to 80 km/h speed, also I get some vibration if I release the accelerator from 70 - 90 after accelerating on 5th gear. I dont get any vibration on 1st 2nd and 3rd gears, only on 4th and 5th with the specific condition.

I consulted VW service centre, they tried their best to identify the problem, even they tried to change one part but still problem did not solve. They tried 2 other 1.5 tdi polo and both of the cars are having the same problem (not the exact speed, slight variations are there), so they told its there with all polo and they cannot help much.

My request is, anyone here noticed this problem in your car ? any idea about this problem ? Other than this, I am very happy with this car [:)].

Regards
Nisanth
Hi buddy,
Welcome to TAI. Wishing you a happy stay up here. I am an owner of a 1.6 TDi Vento Highline and have done around 42.5k kms successfully. I think I have got the noise which you are talking about and that's a common noise. That's the noise when the engine starts to get on its stride and is ready for a blast on the road. That's the noise when the peak curve starts. Not to worry buddy. All is well. Stay happy[:)] and wishing you loads of happy miles in Polo. Right choice you have made[clap].

Thanks Aniruthan.

Do you know the new polo 1.5 is coming with what kind of engine mount ? is it hydraulic ? I read many thread about the problem with that part.

Regards
Nisanth

Thanks Aniruthan.

Do you know the new polo 1.5 is coming with what kind of engine mount ? is it hydraulic ? I read many thread about the problem with that part.

Regards
Nisanth
Hi buddy,
I guess VW uses Hydraulic mounts only for its engine as its quiet a heavy engine. Will let you know buddy. Have you experienced about the vibration part. Since 4th and 5th gears are quiet tall too it occurs when the peak torque kicks in at the speeds you mentioned and after that it just takes of. Please do let me know on this. Talking after Vento experience [;)]

Hi Aniruthan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you are correct, the vibration will go after that specified speed (eg : If i go beyond 100 with 5 the speed no issues, it will start again when it come down to 80 to 70), the vibration on 4th gear will start when the indicator shows to change the gear to 5th gear.

Looks like VW changed its engine to more powerful but they have not maintained the other related parts to handle the power (sorry I have zero knowledge about it, just guessing with a normal personas observation).

If anyone will know about which part is causing this issue then we can ask them to concentrate on that area to fix it.

Regards
Nisanth

Guys try this , in range of 40-60 use 3rd gear itself(technically not correct,but volkswagen its not a problem),then upshift to 4th in range of 60-80 and then to 80-100 5th.
In diesels to gain power this is the only way.
Although in bulit low end torque will be always peak after the initial turbo lag.

Hi Aniruthan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you are correct, the vibration will go after that specified speed (eg : If i go beyond 100 with 5 the speed no issues, it will start again when it come down to 80 to 70), the vibration on 4th gear will start when the indicator shows to change the gear to 5th gear.

Looks like VW changed its engine to more powerful but they have not maintained the other related parts to handle the power (sorry I have zero knowledge about it, just guessing with a normal personas observation).

If anyone will know about which part is causing this issue then we can ask them to concentrate on that area to fix it.

Regards
Nisanth
Hi buddy,
Basically the 1.5L TDi engine is derived from the 1.6L TDi engine which is derived from the 1.2L TDi 3 cylinder engine. These engines are quiet heavy ones too. The 1.6L engine has been upsized by an additional cylinder to the 1.2L TDi engine(correct me if I'm wrong), And the 1.5L TDi engine is derived from reducing the bore of the engine. So due to their heaviness, their engine mounts are good enough to carry their weight but not good enough to handle the vibrations. That's what i guess.

Top Bottom