Please Avoid Driving on Footpaths

Thread Starter #1
Dear Friends,

Please avoid foot path riding even if it is for 1 feet of distance. This is a serious offence and on actual you will lose your DL.

Today I just crossed the foot path by bike and got caught. With so much negotiation, I gave Rs300 to Traffic Guy. I know, this is crime to bribe but he was not even ready to tell me real rules. As per him,Rs700 is fine with DL suspension for 6months and seizing of bike.

After coming home, I inquired about the Traffic Rules even spoken to the helpline numbers.

"IGP & Additional Commissioner of Police(Traffic), Bangalore City
BMTC Complex 2nd Floor, Shivajinagar Bus Stand,
Bangalore - 560 057.
E-mail: addlcptrafficbcp@gmail.com 22862222
9480817777"

Any how I got rid by paying only Rs300. But this is lesson learnt like whatever the circumstance never break the rules.

In last seven years in Bangalore I have fined thrice for over speeding (Rs300)on New Airport Road( twice on same day in To and Fro ways) [embarass]. 5-6 times I have fined for signal jumping(Rs 100). Thrice for no entry (Rs 100) and twice for wrong U turn(Rs 100).

I always try not to break rules but whenever I do mostly endup in paying fine.[cry]

Friends lets stick to rule and be a responsible citizen. This statement will sound like "Shau Choohon ko khaa kar Bilu Haj ko chal"- After eating 100 rats, the cat goes on a pilgrimage

Last edited:
[confused]

I have seen cars with Hazard lights ON in rain.
I see people driving with High Beam in city.
I see cars with ORVM folded.

But riding bike on footpath? [surprise], its intended for use by only pedestrians. What next riding on road divider? [lol]

@carcar, it may be strange for you, but visit Bangalore any working day, you will understand it.

@Ertiga_ZMR: Please don't repeat this again. I never driven my bike in pedastrian path here. I'm ok to wait another 10 minutes :) and feel proud of not breaking rules. I don't even take 'U' turn where it is prohibited and everyone else takes there too. At the end of day, I've a satisfacation of not breaking any rule. Between, I was fined twice once in USA for crossing solid white lines (many of us doesn't know its meaning here in India), but it was my fist in USA and they left me after warning. Second one here in Bangalore went to drop my wife's friend in Koramangala. He was new to Bangalore and took me in service road at night. Cops fined me, saying it is a one way. Paid Rs200!

To be honest in past 4 years of my riding i was only fined once for not wearing a Helmet . Also Riding on foot path is a very common thing in Mumbai , especially @ Andheri-Kurla road many times i'd witnessed this . Even cops tend to overlook this kind of dangerous riding . I clearly remember 1 rider fell down from footpath and there were multiple fractures in his right leg . So please dont ride on footpath .

Come to Mumbai, and this is normal sight here. I my self when had bike, have driven from footpath. [;)]. But yes thats not the way we as responsible citizen behaved.

But at that time I was more of young rush of blood than a mature citizen. I used to think, if the pedestrians can walk on road, then why can't I drive on footpath. Funny thinking isn't it. [lol]

Thread Starter #6
Actually I did not ride on footpath, there was a kind of crossing over footpath and that footpath is deserted one. But I admit it's a lesson learnt.

Sometimes we don't even realize that we are actually driving on footpath, blame on increasing traffic for that.
ppl have started to lean towards left nowadays and started using footpaths or even divider as said by CarCar

Also it has become common that overtaking and crossing away from the center line, and imagine for others coming from opposite end [frustration]

I would say all these incidents happen if we are in a hurry what say.
Dear Friends,

"IGP & Additional Commissioner of Police(Traffic), Bangalore City
BMTC Complex 2nd Floor, Shivajinagar Bus Stand,
Bangalore - 560 057.
E-mail: addlcptrafficbcp@gmail.com 22862222
9480817777"
Thanks for those helpline numbers i have stored it and might come in handy

In last seven years in Bangalore I have fined thrice for over speeding (Rs300)on New Airport Road( twice on same day in To and Fro ways) . 5-6 times I have fined for signal jumping(Rs 100). Thrice for no entry (Rs 100) and twice for wrong U turn(Rs 100).
You have got good counts on that [lol]

I always try not to break rules but whenever I do mostly endup in paying fine.

Friends lets stick to rule and be a responsible citizen.
I would really appreciate that if everyone follows

[confused]

I have seen cars with Hazard lights ON in rain.
I see people driving with High Beam in city.
I see cars with ORVM folded.
Hazard lights ON in the rain is just an indication and cars with ORVM folded is mostly common in crowded area

@ Rekharam what does your profile image looks like i am not able to figure it out.

First of all, iam really surprised when I heard that our friend was stopped and fined for riding 2 wheeler in foot path.

Anyway, rules are rules.

But at that time I was more of young rush of blood than a mature citizen. I used to think, if the pedestrians can walk on road, then why can't I drive on footpath. Funny thinking isn't it.
Dharmesh it is really too much man.. haha.. I could n't stop laughing..

Sometimes we don't even realize that we are actually driving on footpath, blame on increasing traffic for that.
ppl have started to lean towards left nowadays and started using footpaths or even divider as said by CarCar

Also it has become common that overtaking and crossing away from the center line, and imagine for others coming from opposite end [frustration]

Thanks for those helpline numbers i have stored it and might come in handy

I would really appreciate that if everyone follows

Hazard lights ON in the rain is just an indication and cars with ORVM folded is mostly common in crowded area

@ Rekharam what does your profile image looks like i am not able to figure it out.
Actually my office is near Chennai port and Ennore Port. There will be huge truck traffic and most of the trucks will have containers. It is very normal here to see the four way road in four direction of traffic as in the following pic
Four way road.jpg
Mostly track one and four will have static traffic of lorry which will be waiting for hours together sometimes days together to enter either ports.

I would say all these incidents happen if we are in a hurry what say. After seeing this I stopped coming to office in car. If neccssary I come in my bike. at that times I might need to climb on some ones head also to reach my places. So think it has become very common now a days. If you see this, except rekharam every one wanted to obey rules, but due to circumstances and other reasons we are not following.

@carcar, it may be strange for you, but visit Bangalore any working day, you will understand it. !
Same here in Chennai also.

Even I have the same doubt what manjoo has. What is your avatar?

Thread Starter #9
Bad luck still follows me, I don't even remember that my wife or I was riding her Activa that too on weekday(8th Aug) and in Jay Nagar area without helmet, cannot be digested.

Just 30 mins back I found a notice from Bangalore Traffic about Bike Riding without helmet with notice ID as 64677XX dated 16-Aug-2012.

As I do not have any option to challenge this notice so I paid it online at Bangalore One.

So there is one more addition of Rs100. Bad time really and this time for no reason.

Bad luck still follows me, I don't even remember that my wife or I was riding her Activa that too on weekday(8th Aug) and in Jay Nagar area without helmet, cannot be digested.

Just 30 mins back I found a notice from Bangalore Traffic about Bike Riding without helmet with notice ID as 64677XX dated 16-Aug-2012.

As I do not have any option to challenge this notice so I paid it online at Bangalore One.

So there is one more addition of Rs100. Bad time really and this time for no reason.
My god. Mr. Ertiga_ZMR,, what is this. The number is increasing like our fuel price. [;)]

Last edited by a moderator:

350Z

Core Team
Today I just crossed the foot path by bike and got caught. With so much negotiation, I gave Rs300 to Traffic Guy. I know, this is crime to bribe but he was not even ready to tell me real rules. As per him,Rs700 is fine with DL suspension for 6months and seizing of bike.
Bribing in itself was a serious mistake. That is how a single offence creates a series of further offences. It’s good that cops are dealing strictly, although the amount of fine sounds too much (including seizing the vehicle). I remember reading somewhere that riding on footpath can attract an initial fine of Rs.100. Anyways I find it too annoying when bikers try to move ahead even from the thin gap between the vehicles that too on signals. You can understand it very well as you also drive a car. Hope that at least none of the members of this forum would do the same. It’s a sincere request.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Hi there cops in Bangalore are equipped with digital still camera, they don't stop you but click photos which is a evidence, that's a good move by BTP.
Even if one goes beyond zebra line at signal, cops click photos as well.
Good way to teach lesson to all in order to follow traffic rules.

Thread Starter #15

Bribing in itself was a serious mistake.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Believe me, I am against of bribing and always accept the mistake and never felt ashamed to say sorry. Please suggest me, what anyone can do if a traffic police guy will not talk politely and use some foul language in Kannada. I asked him what's the rule and he told me what I have mentioned in the first post.

After coming home,even I raised an online complain about that guy the way he behaved. Here is the link.

Bangalore City Traffic Police - Complaints / Suggestions

After calling at office of IGP & Additional Commissioner of Police the got to know even if u step one foot on footpath it's a serious offence. In mu post I mentioned that I crossed the footpath so total distance covered was on 3 foot. Believe there was even a slope made and in last one year I have seen so many bikers even cars crossed that. I did it yesterday and got caught.
It's a lesson learnt for me and to others also that footpath riding is a serious offence.

There were some instances reported: Below is the list of links.

Bangalore: Ride on footpath, lose your licence - Bangalore - DNA

Riding on footpath will cost you licence

Cops crack whip on 3000 footpath bikers, suspended licence for 6 months , News - City - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror

These all are my findings in order to get the rule and actual penalty.

Top Bottom