Planning to ICE My Ford ikon

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I own a 2000 model Ford Ikon 1.3 EXI. I would like to add a Sub and my budget is around 10k to 15k. My car doesnt have front speaker. Kindly suggest a neat audio setup in this range. I am not planning to upgrade my HU.

Current Setup:
Blaupunkt Bahamas HU (Mp3)
External FM transmitter
Pioneer Co Axis 500W (Recently Upgraded)
Pioneer Tweeter

Hi bharath, I assume your budget of 15k is only for the sub, amp & front speaker.

In this budget, you can go for -

4 channel amp - JBL GT5-S644 - Rs. 5500-6000/-
Subwoofer - Infinity Ref 1260W - Rs. 6000/- or JBL CS 1215 - Rs. 3500/-
Sealed enclosure for subwoofer - Rs. 500-1000/-
Front component speakers (discard your pioneer tweeter) - JBL GT5-S265C - Rs.4000/-
Wiring - Buy branded kit from Monster cables, earthquake or scosche if you can. This is very important.

Also, I am assuming your head unit is powerful enough to support all this.

Please discard your front pioneer tweeters & buy a component speaker as it comes with it's own tweeter, midbass & crossovers.

also, ensure that you have a good installer who can make you a good sealed enclosure for the sub, else buy a sub which comes with a factory supplied enclosure.

A sealed enclosure for the sub is good for sound quality, its gives a nice tight thump but wont be too loud. If you want your car to be loud, go for a ported enclosure. If you want your car to be even louder, go for a basstube (JBL CS1215T), which i wont recommend as it kills sound quality.

If you need to look at different brands, kindly have a look at this thread.

welcome to TAI bharath please mention your HU model no. and make sure your HU has 2 pair of Rca out otherwise it doesnt make sense adding a 4ch amp.
for your setup i will go with Raj.

JBL GT5-S644 (6k) is a very good amp i own it so i am sure.
Infinity Ref 1260W (5k) is also a very good sub, again i own it. but you can also look at jbl gt5-S12.
i dont know why Raj suggested 265c? maybe beacuse of your budget limit.i suggest you jbl Gto 608c cost 4-4.5k (Raj please comment) if you cant buy 608c now then do your upgrade in stages. buy amp+sub + box now and add compos latter.but dont go for anything les then 608c.

Hello Bharath welcome to TAI , i see you are also from Chennai!

Do you want subwoofer for show-off or just for your listening? If you want for show-off you must need a very good HU. Is your HU a new one or old?

As you are in Chennai you can find good installers easily.

Infinity Ref 1260W (5k) is also a very good sub, again i own it.
Ref 1260W is available for 5k? If yes, then bharath should go for it, its a good sub. I thought it was 6k, so i recommended the CS1215 as a cheaper option.

but you can also look at jbl gt5-S12.
I think that is discontinued, but you may still get it.

i dont know why Raj suggested 265c? maybe beacuse of your budget limit.i suggest you jbl Gto 608c cost 4-4.5k (Raj please comment)
Oops... sorry bro, error from my side. even i dont know why i wrote 265C?!!

Yes bharath, you should opt for the 608C at 4-4.5k. the 265C is available even cheaper.

again, even the 608C is discontinued but you will still get it easily.

Thread Starter #6
Hello Bharath welcome to TAI , i see you are also from Chennai!

Do you want subwoofer for show-off or just for your listening? If you want for show-off you must need a very good HU. Is your HU a new one or old?

As you are in Chennai you can find good installers easily.

Hi cooldhaya,

I need sub for both. I presume that my HU is fine and it is got external out for connecting to the Amp. But it doesnt hve a usb or aux out. Anyways i ll go with the amp,sub for now and then upgrade to comps and if possible another good HU. Do you know any good installers in chennai.

Thread Starter #7
Ref 1260W is available for 5k? If yes, then bharath should go for it, its a good sub. I thought it was 6k, so i recommended the CS1215 as a cheaper option.

I think that is discontinued, but you may still get it.

Oops... sorry bro, error from my side. even i dont know why i wrote 265C?!!

Yes bharath, you should opt for the 608C at 4-4.5k. the 265C is available even cheaper.

again, even the 608C is discontinued but you will still get it easily.

Thanks raj & aditya for your suggestions. I will be doing the setup by this week or next week.

I don think your HU will be suitable for show-off , am not sure though. But my advice is get a good HU and component speakers first for your car with your budget now. Go for amps and sub later. A good HU is really needed for show-off!

Where do you live in Chennai? In Anna Nagar there are some good shops who do a good job.

oops... sorry, my bad. I guess he will need a powerful HU then. but that can be changed after the setup is complete, in the end... only if essential.

Thread Starter #14
Guys i had seen one ad in my company classified stating that there is a JBL GTO3501 amp for sale 350W. He says it is just 2 months used and he needs 3500 bugs for it. As far as i researched it seems like a Mono amp(Wht is a mono amp?). And its MRP is around 11000 bugs in rediff site. Is it a good buy???? Need to ICE my car as early as possible....

A mono amp for 3.5k??!! First check its condition whether its working fine , why does he want to sell it in just 2 months? A new one's MRP is around 14k with B/W!

If everything is okay go ahead with it! A mono amp is the best amp that can power a subwoofer! The effect will be punchy and yes it will be great for show-off too. But you need to check whether your HU will be able to power it properly. A simple HU cannot provide justice to a mono amp!

Top Bottom