Planning to ICE My Fiat Grande Punto

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys . I own a fiat grande punto 1.4 emotion pack ( blue colour ) , got it in january 2010 . During the test drive of the vehicle i noticed the sound system was pathetic , but still went for the italian beauty mainly for its control , performance , build and the looks .
I managed for a year with the sound system ( practically ate my head away ) and now i cant bear the sound anymore , soo i decided to use up my savings and go for a better sound system .
I mostly listen to TRANCE and PROGRESSIVE HOUSE soo i need a big thump in the system to give me the feel of the music .

My current factory system consist's of a Blaupunkt head unit , 2 stock tweeters and 4 stock speakers ( front and rear ) .

1 ) Firstly , The head unit does not have an output for the amp , soo im guessing i'll have to go with a line out converter . Shops in mangalore are selling sosche line out converters . Is it of any good ? Will the sound quality break down with this ? is there any other brand better than sosche ?
( cant change the head unit because the blue and me is attached to it , and once i remove it ; the blue and me and steering wheel controls will no longer work . soo i havto settle down with keeping the head unit )
Are there any other ways to plug in the amplifier without the line out converter ?

2 ) Secondly , a week ago during my vacations i brought myself an ALPINE PDX 1.1000 mono block amp ( class D )( 1000 watts on 4 ohms and 1000 watts on 2 ohms ) from the gulf ( heard really good reviews about the amp soo went for it since it would cost a bombshell here in india ) .
soo now im planning on incoperating a good subwoofer . i want the subwoofer to give me a proper Bang , real deep and intense sound .
A dealer in mangalore told me he'd prefer JBL CS1215T ( 250 rms , 1100 watts , for RS. 5990 /- ) . . There seems to be no news on the JBL CS1215T in any forums soo im doubting whether its a good buy . would you prefer this ?
Is there any other brand which you would prefer to go with this amplifier and give me the sound i want . Many are telling me to go for polk audio , infinity , jbl , bull audio , hertz ( but none in specific ) . which specific subwoofer do you think will be better for me since im totally confused with the various types out there .
My budget for the subwoofer is around 7k . Extendable to 8.5k-9k .

3) As for components and co-axials , i will be getting a ALPINE PDX 4.150 in around 3 months which will be connected to the ALPINE mono that i have ( ALPINE amps are stackable ) , soo will put in a proper set of components and co-axials at that point of time , but please do tell me which set of components and co-axials you would prefer for my taste of music and which would sound good with your preferred subwoofer ?
My budget for co-axials are 6k and components are 6k as well . will this price range be enough ?

Planning to put in the new subwoofer by next tuesday or wednesday ,i.e on the 1st or 2nd of feb .

Looking forward to your replies .

cheers ,
Clinton D'silva

Re: Planning to ICE my punto

Hi,

First of all welcome to TAI and good to see yet another Fiat lover around.

Hope you are having a wonderful time with your beautiful ride!

Getting down to your questions,

1) I am not much aware about the converter setup you are metioning about. So, will let it for others to answer

2) Apline PDX - 1.1000 - dude, your are talking some serious business out here. This is one hell of a mono amp and you should not settle with the JBL model you suggested. I mean, seriously not.

I would suggest you to go for an Image Dynamics - IDV or IDQ series.
I hope IDV series 12" will cost around 12K.

But this kind of woofer is required do that amplifier some justice.

3) I am not aware of the co-axials but incase of components,
Hertz - HSK 165 series will be suitable and will be worth the money we invest - will cost you somewhere around 8K.

since you are planning to invest in phases, you can actually extend your budget for getting something of real worth and you will enjoy your setup to maximum extent.

Also, do post some pics of your ride and share your experiences about the ride in a seperate thread![thumbsup]

Thread Starter #3

HolySatan , Thanks brother .

Havent really heard of image dynamics. Will go today though and find out whether the dealers got them.

The JBL CS1215t tube (as mentioned in my early post) also got am thinking, cause i heard it in a mates car the other day and it seem'd loud in his indica (hitting the low notes aggressively). So was thinking of getting two of them (totally putting out 500 rms and total peak - 2200 watts). Will this do justice to the amp or for 10k i can get something better ?

Could you refer me to other brands as well (such as JBL, infinity, bull audio, polk audio), just keeping my options open for the time being.
And lastly, which is better, single voice coil or dual voice coil? cause i have no idea what they are.

Cheers ,
Clinton D'Silva

Last edited by a moderator:

My current factory system consist's of a Blaupunkt head unit , 2 stock tweeters and 4 stock speakers ( front and rear )
i think tweetors are dummy holes, that is what i found out in my punto emo pck. speakers are pathetic .
hu is bosch which can provide 30 watts into four channel.

Firstly , The head unit does not have an output for the amp , soo im guessing i'll have to go with a line out converter
convertors may be tricky hope it works fine .

if you have some hacking skills you can pull out audio outputs from stock hu of punto. so you save your steering controls,blue n me and everything else. moreover you dont need to change the hu.

thats what i did in my system!!
The JBL CS1215t tube (as mentioned in my early post) also got am thinking, cause i heard it in a mates car the other day and it seem'd loud in his indica (hitting the low notes aggressively). So was thinking of getting two of them (totally putting out 500 rms and total peak - 2200 watts
those 2200 watts from jbl's are just peak maximum power which in real life gives only 20 or 30 percent of strenght
and alpine amp is even bigger beast. if yo u wish to get maximum juice out of your amp then go for better woofers.

Thread Starter #6

Just for clerification ,
1) what should be the optimum specifications of the subwoofer to work in complete harmony with my amplifier ?
A subwoofer that gives out around 500 - 800 rms and peaks around 1000 - 1800 watts ?

I looked up infintiy kappa series 120.9 (12 inch , 300 rms - 450 rms , peaks at 1000 watts ) and Alpine SWR 1542 ( 15 inch , 750 rms and 2000 watts peak ) .
Im really looking forward to use the Alpine SWR 1542 . Do you think it'll work well with the Amplifer and with such high power do you think my windows will shatter ?

Not really an audiophile , hence the queries , but i do appreciate you for taking time on this thread .

Cheers ,
Clinton D'Silva

ICE for My New Punto Active!!

Hello TAI-members,

I have booked my Punto Active. You can read about the car deciding thread here.

Now, its time to decide on ICE. My requirements are as below.

Your Car: Punto Di Active.
Budget Range: 15-20k
Looking For: Full setup with head-unit supporting Bluetooth.
Preferred Brands: Not sure. People are suggesting JVC for HU and JBL for speakers.
Preferred Music Type: Kind of all. Would like if it can support low & mid end bass
Current Audio Setup: None
Miscellaneous Details: --
Your Actual Query: Please read further.

After finalizing about the car, I started researching on ICE. The points which I came across.
1. As my budget is low, I can only afford components & co-ax. No sub-woofer.
2. Its preferable if they can setup with the wiring provided by company. No extra wires or holes.
3. 2din System looks good. Can Punto take 2din HU?
4. If I go for components then should I opt for Amp?
5. Do Comp on front door and co-ax on rear makes a nice pair??

I checked rates with some stores(J.C road) in Bangalore.
Suggestions by them:
-> 2 Din HU from JVC with Bluetooth support. - 12k
-> Components from JBL. - 4.2k
-> 6" Co-Ax for rear, JBL - 1.8k
-> Spacer and fitting - 600

They even asked me for Amp. With my budget they told its ok if I don't opt for Amps.

Help me in deciding the setup. Also please refer some good shops in Bangalore.

Last edited:
Re: ICE for my new Punto Active!!

@RSM: Today I checked with Sachin's Autoworld. His suggestion is
Kenwood 546 BT - 9000
Component JBL GT6 - 4400
Co-aux JBL 5.5' - 1800
Antenna - 250
rings - 150*2 - 300

He is of the opinion that headunit can drive the component and ao-aux without any issue.
ICE Gurus, Please help me in deciding!!

Re: ICE for my new Punto Active!!

DONT go to sachin's now! he is giving you the improper advice.

As RSM said, go to EVO, its the best in bangalore. also, you will have to procure brackets to fit the 1 DIN HU in Punto's slot.

Top Bottom