Planning To Buy First Hatchback. Should I Go with Petrol or Diesel?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy a car within December 2012.This will be my first car. Here is my requirement to get a petrol or diesel hatch back family car. Also did some home work. Kindly go through this. This is the first time I am seeking an advice/suggestion from a forum. Need advice from the experts:

My Budget: Rs.5-6 Lakhs

New or Used: New Car

Top Five Priorities: Good Mileage,Safety,Comfort,Low Maintenance,Descent Luggage Space

Monthly Running:Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms

Type of Fuel: Diesel or Petrol

For What Purpose: Regular city Use, Occasional Highway Trips

Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults

Type of Segment: Hatch

My observation:

I am preferring tall boy design and I have nailed down my preference. I have visited the showrooms and had a look on the cars, especially based on my height as i am 5'9". But I haven't TD any cars yet.

Neglected the following car.Owners please don't mistake me. These are all in my opinion.

Huyndai Santro: old model car though it has LPG

Huyndai I10: giving less mileage got to know from my friends.(not very sure owners please advice)

Chevy Beat Diesel: Very Small car. Would be okay only for couples not for a family.

Ford figo Diesel: Not very sure about the mileage(owners please advice)

Tata vista: Because of "T" batch

Never went to the following car showrooms:

Skoda Fabia
VW Polo

My preference would be

New RITZ VDI if the choice is diesel. I might go extra miles in the future( but could not able to say right now)

New RITZ VXI or Wagon R DUO (if it is petrol confused between two because in WR duo we have an alternate option of LPG)

Cash discount for WR duo is Rs.35000/- and RITZ VXI is Rs.25000/-

Need your suggestion and advice from all these areas.:help:

Thanks!

Re: Planning to buy my first hatchback car.confused with petrol or diesel

I think Wagon-R is also available in CNG option, have a look at that one also. How is CNG availability in your city? Ritz VXI is one call ahead of Wagon R.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Planning to buy my first hatchback car.confused with petrol or diesel

I think Wagon-R is also available in CNG option, have a look at that one also. How is CNG availability in your city? Ritz VXI is one call ahead of Wagon R.
Thanks Dharmesh. CNG is not available in Bangalore. Between 1000-1500kms per month is it okay to go with petrol or diesel? If Petrol car then Iam looking for the VFM . can you please narrow down further? Thanks

As per my thinking , if your running is 50KM per day plus weekend drives (may includes long drives) then you should go with diesel. There are many diesel cars available as well in the budget you are looking for. Ritz have recently being face lifted. So you will get the refreshed Ritz. If you want to try the older one, then you can talk to dealer and get some discounts on the older model as people would be running behind the newr facelifted one.

For 1000 - 1500 KM you definitely qualifying for the diesel car. On the top of that you will be doing some highway trip as well. so i would suggest go for the diesel only.

First finalize your budget and venture out to the market for the car.

Considering your monthly run I would say GO FOR DIESEL !
I would suggest you to go for Ritz diesel if you are so interested in owning a car with tall boy design and the DDiS engine powering it won't ever disappoint you .
Toyota Liva GD SP can also be considered as a worthy contender. Toyotas bullet proof reliability, a package that include essential safety features like ABS and Airbags makes it more VFM.

Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy a car within December 2012.This will be my first car. Here is my requirement to get a petrol or diesel hatch back family car. Also did some home work. Kindly go through this. This is the first time I am seeking an advice/suggestion from a forum. Need advice from the experts:
Welcome to TAI Magi, Good that you are buying a car on the year end for you would cash in more of discounts regardless of the 2012 made car.

My Budget: Rs.5-6 Lakhs

New or Used: New Car

Top Five Priorities: Good Mileage,Safety,Comfort,Low Maintenance,Descent Luggage Space

Monthly Running:Between 1,000 – 1,500 Kms

Type of Fuel: Diesel or Petrol

For What Purpose: Regular city Use, Occasional Highway Trips
Diesel is recommended for you.

Seating Capacity: Maximum 5 Adults

Type of Segment: Hatch
Hatch is a better idea, but as you say 5 Adults, then you got to look at the larger hatchbacks in the country where Beat is a let-down.

I am preferring tall boy design and I have nailed down my preference. I have visited the showrooms and had a look on the cars, especially based on my height as i am 5'9". But I haven't TD any cars yet.
As of now, Vista and Ritz is the only Tall boy hatches you might find.

Neglected the following car.Owners please don't mistake me. These are all in my opinion.

Ford figo Diesel: Not very sure about the mileage(owners please advice)
My friend's Figo gives round 14 in the city and 20 at highways.

Tata vista: Because of "T" batch
There's nothing wrong in a "T" Badge my friend, maybe because you go with the common people's opinion which makes you feel it's a T Badge, i bet it's one of the great spacious and comfortable hatch in the segment.

Never went to the following car showrooms:

Skoda Fabia
VW Polo
Exceeds the given budget,but give a look on the Fabia.Polo has cramped interiors

You did not add Liva GD in your list, add that as an option too.

My preference would be

New RITZ VDI if the choice is diesel. I might go extra miles in the future( but could not able to say right now)
Thanks!
Think this would be a better option and suit your needs well.

Imagine your driving a petrol car with 1500 Kms your monthly use, you would be spending somewhere close to 8000INR on petrol if the kmpl for you car is 15

The same with a diesel car for 1500 kms of monthly use would be spending somewhere close to 4200 INR on diesel if the kmpl for you car is 18

so if you EMI per lakh is 2.3K per month then you might add up 3.6K per month on a diesel over the petrol, however when you sell the car might be after 4 years you might get 2.5L for a petrol but still cash out atlest 1.5L more on a diesel than a petrol sibling

I would go with Ritz diesel if i were you, the all new Ritz the one with dual tone interiors would be the one if you book it after a 1 month from now.. its got some refreshing looks

Figo diesel is a good VFM being said your 5.9 would be a bit difficult to get in/ out of the car, with you having to bend down your head every time you get in bec of the A-Pillar, the same applies to VW Polo, Fabia is good just for the brand and Vista too is a good wiorkhorse but nothing of the other which you compated would come close to the resale value of ritz in the segment

Wishes in advance for your new buy [;)]

Thread Starter #11
There's nothing wrong in a "T" Badge my friend, maybe because you go with the common people's opinion which makes you feel it's a T Badge, i bet it's one of the great spacious and comfortable hatch in the segment.
Thanks Vishwas. I went to Tata showroom to have a look Vista new refresh. Everything looks good, especially the space-very good leg room and head room. The mid variant costing OTR Rs.710365/- which is VFM comes with lot of features other than airbag and alloy wheels.But the SA told that it is bit high in maintenance.[confused] also confused about ASS.

Thread Starter #13
Imagine your driving a petrol car with 1500 Kms your monthly use, you would be spending somewhere close to 8000INR on petrol if the kmpl for you car is 15

The same with a diesel car for 1500 kms of monthly use would be spending somewhere close to 4200 INR on diesel if the kmpl for you car is 18

so if you EMI per lakh is 2.3K per month then you might add up 3.6K per month on a diesel over the petrol, however when you sell the car might be after 4 years you might get 2.5L for a petrol but still cash out atlest 1.5L more on a diesel than a petrol sibling

Wishes in advance for your new buy [;)]
Thank you Swift&furious. Kindly throw some light on these calculation.Here is my calculations on Diesel and petrol.correct me if im wrong somewhere.As per your suggestion taking 15kms/lt for petrol and 18kms/lt for diesel.

For petrol(approx)

Say daily run is 50kms/day

so, 15kms*3.5lt= 52.5 kms

petrol cost is Rs.75*3.5lt= Rs.262.5/-per day

petrol cost is Rs.7875/-per month

For diesel(approx)

Say daily run in 50kms/day

so, 18kms*3lt= 54 kms

diesel cost is Rs.52*3lt= Rs.156/-per day

diesel cost is Rs.4680/-per month

The difference between Petrol-Diesel in savings= Rs.7875-4680 = Rs.3195/-

Need to pay a lakh or more to get diesel and emi for that is approx Rs.2300 + so im paying extra 1L and Rs.2300(approx) as an emi. But then where will I save. Should i look for the profit after 4 years? Can you please help and suggest me, so that i will get convinced to go for the diesel car.

Thanking you in advance[:)]

Top Bottom