Planning To Buy First Hatchback. Should I Go with Petrol or Diesel?

I think the profit margin to Honda from selling a Jazz is very low. The quality levels inside the Jazz is also way better than the city. Guess its pretty costly to produce and some parts come the CKD way so overall costs shoot up.

Still it is the best petrol hatch on offer today !! Nothing beats a Honda petrol :)

No matter what awards it bagged everywhere else.

second is, premium they asks for maintenance is not like of a city hatchback but of a sedan.
these are the prominent reasons which kept buyers at bay and all know Honda is hard shell to break, they have not compromised yet but let us hope with Brio they will soften .
Who gave you the idea that Jazz maintenance is costly ?

Maintenance cost:

1st service (1 month/ 964 km):

Work done:
visual checks,
topping up oil and washer fluids,
washing
cost: 0

2nd service (3 months/3821 km):

work done:
visual checks,
oil change
Cost: 815/-

3rd sevice (6 months/8413 km):

Work done:
oil change (to synthetic spec 0W30)
oil filter change,
visual checks,
cleaning of air filter,
brake pads
washing
Cost: 2393/-

4th service (11 months/13690 km):

Work done:
tyre rotation,
wheel balancing,
cleaning of filters,
top up brake/clutch fluid,
visual checks,
washing
Cost: 1074/-

5th service (15 months/ 17869 km):

Work done:
Oil/oil filter change,
air filter change,
vidual checks,
cleaning of brake pads,
washing
Cost: 4531/-

6th service (21 months/ 25373 km):

Work done:
Oil/oil filter change,
cleaning of air filter,
dust/pollen filter, brake pads
wheel balancing+alignment
wax polishing (free)
Cost: 4452/-

7th service (26 months/ 31561 km)

Work done:
tyre rotation,
cleaning of air filter, dust/pollen filter,
brake pads
visual checks
Cost: 1092/-

Maintenance work done outside:
Wheel alignment at 13 months/16622 km : 350/-

Accident repair:
during one of our highway drives, had a big dent on the right side rear quarter panel from a truck. Got it repaired at the dealership along with replacement of the tail light assembly.
Cost: 5407/-

Puncture:
1st: 21 months/25400 km,
2nd: 24 months/27460 km
(both times, no visible loss in pressure; once detected while checking at the time of servicing, and once detected while checking before a long drive)

Other than the scheduled visits, I have had to make two trips to the workshop so far. Once for back seat noise that started after getting the car back from their body shop; this was rectified immediately. The other was for a wheel noise that turned out to be due to the wheel mount brushing against some metal part, which again was fixed immediately.

Total:

Maintenance: 14707/-
Other: 5827/-

Its pretty reasonable if you ask me. The santro maintenance is costlier. Skoda's and VW's are the only one's which cost very high !!

I own a Figo diesel for 2 years now, hardly any issue except brake callipers making noise demanding change very 4-5 months, free of cost. The fuel average I am getting in city driving is 16.5, with mix of mild and enthusiastice driving manners.

Har007, whose service details are these? Yours?

The service you have mentioned are not less. They are higher than swift and hyundais.
VW polo petrol needs 5.5 to 6k per service (per one yr/15k kms), which makes around 12k fo two services that is for 30k kms which is less than Jazz's service bills for 31k.

So you can fairly decipher that if VW and skoda bills are high then Honda is not behind too.

@Haroo7, your post makes it crystal clear that a honda petrol car is way too expensive even than a modern diesal ones and sedans, Check TAI member autosafari's Manza Sedan Thread.

I have used Indica vista and now fiat punto. vista had expenditure of Rs.4000 in 12kkm .
my punto since two years had let me spent Rs.11000 only for 3 services or 30000km.I can provide the invoice here if you couldn't believe.
I did not find any offensive reliability issues in both of the cars to vouch for an unacceptably expensive honda.
Quality does not alway require to mean high price,in the name of quality Honda tried to loot India when nobody heeds, honda slash down the fake price and comes up with real worth value . Same holds true for servicing bills too Afaik.

Last edited:
Har007, whose service details are these? Yours?

The service you have mentioned are not less. They are higher than swift and hyundais.
VW polo petrol needs 5.5 to 6k per service (per one yr/15k kms), which makes around 12k fo two services that is for 30k kms which is less than Jazz's service bills for 31k.

So you can fairly decipher that if VW and skoda bills are high then Honda is not behind too.
. My old skoda octavia costed a bomb to maintain. 6k for Polo petrol is really low [clap] I kinda expected more. But my friend's diesel polo costs him 12k per service.

@Haroo7, your post makes it crystal clear that a honda petrol car is way too expensive even than a modern diesal ones and sedans, Check TAI member autosafari's Manza Sedan Thread.

I have used Indica vista and now fiat punto. vista had expenditure of Rs.4000 in 12kkm .
my punto since two years had let me spent Rs.11000 only for 3 services or 30000km.I can provide the invoice here if you couldn't believe.
I did not find any offensive reliability issues in both of the cars to vouch for an unacceptably expensive honda.
Quality does not alway require to mean high price,in the name of quality Honda tried to loot India when nobody heeds, honda slash down the fake price and comes up with real worth value . Same holds true for servicing bills too Afaik.
I know TATA,Maruti and FIAT bills are very very reasonable. 14k for 2 years is not too bad either considering that synthetic oil was used. My grandpa's santro used to cost 5.5k per service not to mentions bad parts quality. Our M800(17 years old) also costs 6k per year(6 months servicing). So for me its pretty reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its hyundai the one who is looting india not honda.

Honda is giving quality product and for that you have to shell something from your pocket.

Whereas hyundai compromised products need very high maintenance atleast compared to honda.

Vw and skodas also gives world class products. they cant be compared with maruti products.

Some cars are owners pocket friendly while some cars dig a hole in the pocket. A remembrance of the past unveils that the Maruti 800 was tagged as a car that need no repairs for the many years and the owner need not open the bonnet to check the levels. This was the level of dependability and credibility that the Maruti 800 had earned for itself and this is the reason why it became the best selling car in India. However, more attractive offering have replaced it and thus it is dying slow death. A new avatar though is in the making and a Diwali launch is what the industry expects. Meanwhile, there are other cars as well which are tagged as cars that are require very low or no maintenance and Honda Jazz and Toyota Avensis top the list in London.

As per a recent survey, these two cars spend only .17 days in a garage for repairs and were extremely affordable for the owner. Notably, the Maruti Swift (known as Suzuki Swift in London) is the next best car that is low on maintenance and it has spent only .018 days

Its like hyundai is selling 18 carrat substandard gold and asking the price of pure 24 carrat gold.

Whereas honda is asking the price of 24 carrat gold because they are giving such quality.the same applies to european cars also.

Its like hyundai is selling 18 carrat substandard gold and asking the price of pure 24 carrat gold.

Whereas honda is asking the price of 24 carrat gold because they are giving such quality.the same applies to european cars also.
I guess above is a Honda fan speaking.
Then here is a news there are good cars availbale in market.You may argue endlessly on reliability and Brand Image but they are existant in real world on marginal or negligeable difference .
So called Honda quality is getting on my friend's nerves where he closes the door bit harder and it gets a dent . Within 25k km he needs to get his brake pads changed and discs skimmed costing him Rs.9000.fuel consumption never went above 11kmpl .
Same Honda proved useless on roads of kerala where it bottomed and damaged critical engine components, where as an Alto and my puny Punto played Salsa on same road and rescued them.
It seems Honda forget to add basic protection features and structural strength to body while concentrating on engine and making it lightest or so called PEPPY.
Which means in Europe and London Honda would be best but for India they have to get back to table and think before fixing an immoral price tag and calling it best.

Then here is a news there are good cars availbale in market.You may argue endlessly on reliability and Brand Image but they are existant in real world on marginal or negligeable difference .
So called Honda quality is getting on my friend's nerves where he closes the door bit harder and it gets a dent . Within 25k km he needs to get his brake pads changed and discs skimmed costing him Rs.9000.fuel consumption never went above 11kmpl .
Same Honda proved useless on roads of kerala where it bottomed and damaged critical engine components, where as an Alto and my puny Punto played Salsa on same road and rescued them.
It seems Honda forget to add basic protection features and structural strength to body while concentrating on engine and making it lightest or so called PEPPY.
Which means in Europe and London Honda would be best but for India they have to get back to table and think before fixing an immoral price tag and calling it best.
You seems anti honda person.

One cannot compare maintenance cost of tata cars with hondas.its like comparing maintenance cost of vario drive with honda activa.

Honda cars are for those who loves to driving.no comparision at all with tata or maruti's as far as driving pleasure is concern.leave the brand image behind,here i am talking about its drivability & handling.

Honda gives best mileage in compare to other cars of same segment.

My friends brio is giving 18+ mileage on long runs.also jazz is known for good mileage too.

Its not at all overpriced.they are just asking for what they are giving in return.

Last edited:
Look dude I have friends having Honda's absolutely rocking Kerala roads. City gets 15 kmpl in Kerala roads. Search -Honda has an extremely good reputation there unlike Hyundai.There are members who say that their service costs for their Civic is lower than their i10 with detailed proofs. You can search on tebhp and decide. Some people may not like Honda I agree but they are by no means bad. You seem to think that TATA is better than Honda [frustration] 6.5 OTR for the Jazz is a bargain for a world class car. Every single automagazine thinks the same too--autocar,overdrive,etc Are they all fools to say that Hondas are one of the best petrol cars ?

Honda is known for best petrol heads.

Their cars are famous for its ultra reliability and good mileage.

Their cars are very less expensive to maintain atleast compare to hyundai.

You seems anti honda person..
Its not at all overpriced.they are just asking for what they are giving in return
Honda Jazz costed 8.8 lakhs otr in the name of quality.looks like they cut some quality out of it and reduce the price .What say ?

I have nothing for or against any manufacturer rather I welcome all of them if they behave sensible.
Oh yes I have soft corner for fiat cars as they deliver well for the money we pay let it be build quality or features.
I myself suggested Honda city for my closest friend when he was looking for a "Tata Safari ".
Myself with another friend went for Honda Jazz ,nice car but he did not like it and bought Polo.

One cannot compare maintenance cost of tata cars with hondas.
It sounds like elitism .

Honda cars are for those who loves to driving.no comparision at all with tata or maruti's as far as driving pleasure is concern.leave the brand image behind,here i am talking about its drivability & handling.
I would say new swift have a better edge on driving dynamics.

Honda gives best mileage in compare to other cars of same segment. My friends brio is giving 18+ mileage on long runs.also jazz is known for good mileage too.
You should not be using it as a reference to suggest same for others, its too amatuerish.
I can show you Indica Vista and Swift petrol which gives 19+kmpl on long runs.

Honda Jazz costed 8.8 lakhs otr in the name of quality.looks like they cut some quality out of it and reduce the price .What say ?
I indeed agree Honda tried to milk the Indian customer with that price. But in its current price its pretty VFM [glasses]

@Magi,

My first choice would be Vista 2012 VX for Rs.6.48 On road as we bought one in Hyderabad last week with best of the features and scores in all departments. Only worry is you need to go to a right TASS to have bit peace of mind

Second choice is Ritz Diesel as I am using one without any troubles in last 1-1/2 years and very much satisfied. More suitable for tall people for more head room and leg space, but bit bumpy and has body roll in corners being a tall boy.

Third choice is Fiat Punto diesel again a beautyful car with good fit and finish and body built. Not suitable for the tall persons as much as both the above are.

All the three are fitted with same proven Fiat engine under the hood and FE is almost the same and maintenance wise.[:)]

I have nothing for or against any manufacturer rather I welcome all of them if they behave sensible.
Oh yes I have soft corner for fiat cars as they deliver well for the money we pay let it be build quality or features.
I myself suggested Honda city for my closest friend when he was looking for a "Tata Safari ".
Myself with another friend went for Honda Jazz ,nice car but he did not like it and bought Polo.

It sounds like elitism .

I would say new swift have a better edge on driving dynamics.

You should not be using it as a reference to suggest same for others, its too amatuerish.
I can show you Indica Vista and Swift petrol which gives 19+kmpl on long runs.
The level of localisation of spares are also somthing which i think you forgot to consider.

Its you only mentioned that your friend was not getting more than 11km/l.and if i answered the fact of getting 19+ i will become immature!wow amazing isnt it.

Agreed swift,indica petrol gives similiar mileage but do they give such handling and driving pleasure which honda gives.

Top Bottom