Planning To Buy First Hatchback. Should I Go with Petrol or Diesel?

Thank you dharmesh. Excel sheet is very useful.let me do my math.
But be sure about what FE figures you put. because 15kmpl for petrol and 18kmpl for diesel is what you think you will get? Will you ttravel daily in congested area? If yes than re consider those figures. Because this figures can change your break even period by huge extent. All the best.

Thanks Vishwas. I went to Tata showroom to have a look Vista new refresh. Everything looks good, especially the space-very good leg room and head room. The mid variant costing OTR Rs.710365/- which is VFM comes with lot of features other than airbag and alloy wheels.But the SA told that it is bit high in maintenance.[confused] also confused about ASS.
I think you are referring to VX model, which is quite VFM, but then which dealer did you inquire about the maintenance?
To be frank, now-a-days, i feel Maruti charges a bit higher than expected.
(A first paid service for my alto cost me 6.8K!).I feel Tata's maintenance cost would be lesser.

For a Dealership and service review in Bangalore, this thread might be helpful:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...391-concorde-motors-bangalore-experience.html

I think you are referring to VX model, which is quite VFM, but then which dealer did you inquire about the maintenance?
To be frank, now-a-days, i feel Maruti charges a bit higher than expected.
(A first paid service for my alto cost me 6.8K!).I feel Tata's maintenance cost would be lesser.

For a Dealership and service review in Bangalore, this thread might be helpful:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...391-concorde-motors-bangalore-experience.html
I also read some where on other forum that MASS have increased labor charges from 800 to 1200. Is it true? I know it is quite OT.

Look for new Ritz
Here is the press release from MSL:

Highlights are as follow:
Under the hood of the new Ritz Diesel lies the celebrated 1248cc DDiS engine delivering a high fuel efficiency of 23.2 kmpl (Certified fuel efficiency as per CMVR Rule 115). The highly successful diesel engine returns a torque of 190Nm@ 2000 rpm and unmatched power of 75ps@4000rpm, with 5-step multi-injection technology for smooth and effortless running. Ritz Diesel achieves a speed of 0-60 kmph in 5.9 sec.

Maruti Suzuki introduces a refreshed Ritz Diesel

Attachments

Last edited:
Thank you Swift&furious. Kindly throw some light on these calculation.Here is my calculations on Diesel and petrol.correct me if im wrong somewhere.As per your suggestion taking 15kms/lt for petrol and 18kms/lt for diesel.

For petrol(approx)

Say daily run is 50kms/day

so, 15kms*3.5lt= 52.5 kms

petrol cost is Rs.75*3.5lt= Rs.262.5/-per day

petrol cost is Rs.7875/-per month

For diesel(approx)

Say daily run in 50kms/day

so, 18kms*3lt= 54 kms

diesel cost is Rs.52*3lt= Rs.156/-per day

diesel cost is Rs.4680/-per month

The difference between Petrol-Diesel in savings= Rs.7875-4680 = Rs.3195/-

Need to pay a lakh or more to get diesel and emi for that is approx Rs.2300 + so im paying extra 1L and Rs.2300(approx) as an emi. But then where will I save. Should i look for the profit after 4 years? Can you please help and suggest me, so that i will get convinced to go for the diesel car.

Thanking you in advance[:)]
Very simple mate an incident which happened a year back

During 2011 i along with one of my friend was on search for a swift petrol with very less on the ODO and we were not interested in dealers, so went straight away with mechanics whom we knew and Showroom SA with whom we had good contacts

We were easily able to find VXI's and a couple of ZXIs with 2008-2010 models most of them were 15k-35K run vehicles and we were lucky to meet one guy who had a RED 2010 VXI with 11200K on ODO through our Showroom SA, he was about to exchange his VXI to buy an SX4 Celebration edition (diesel), he was quoted 3.6L by true value guys and that too after he commiting that he would take the upcoming insurance premium

He had a good ICE set up in his car a 2 din head unit with a 2 channel JBL amp and JBL Ovals @ rear and sony xplod speakers at the front ( this would easil come up to 25K worth accessories that too in mint condition)

We spoke to the guy and finalised the deal for 3.45L with insurance being our headache and paid a token of 45K on the same day

Now coming to the fun part the same Showroom SA gave us another deal for a LDI 2008 Model for 4.8L final as the true value had quoted somewhere around that figure

Now the invoice value for VXI 2010 model which my friend bought was 5.2L
and he sold it for 3.45 L - Almost 1.5L depri in 1.5 years

the invoice value for LDI 2008model which my friend bought was 5.6L
and he sold it for 4.8 L - Almost 80K depri in 3 years

The message here is whatever you decide on, there are 2 ways you can think, do you want to save some 1L now which you wont be getting back later for a petrol version

OR if you are ready to spend 1L extra now which you would get back when you sell it later

When you have a petrol you have to find a buyer, but when you have a diesel the buyer will find you.

This is totally your choice and my suggestion, no offence to anyone please who owns or suggested for a petrol version

@swift, it depends upun the cost of fuel in coming years.
if diesal is deregulated then diesal cars will become obsolete.
A petrol car is easier to maintain and lighter to pocket.

@swift, it depends upun the cost of fuel in coming years.
if diesal is deregulated then diesal cars will become obsolete.
A petrol car is easier to maintain and lighter to pocket.
Yes probably then i might buy an yellow board Corolla Altis D they would still have to provide subsidised diesel for yellow boards which again falls under commercial vehicles, but i might become a seasonal part time driver during my vacation to earn money and drive with the torque which i love too[:D]

Jokes apart i think there is still a long way to go for the G to remove subsidies on diesel, might be they tax diesel cars even more than its now

Take a look at Nissan Micra. Few people have bought this in my circle and are very happy.

I would go with diesel for higher resale value, better mileage and cheaper running. Maintenance cost should be ok if you take good care of the vehicle.

All the best.

Thread Starter #26
When you have a petrol you have to find a buyer, but when you have a diesel the buyer will find you.
Thank you Swift. Nice info.Its true that the resale value of diesel car would be high and the buyer will come to us [:)]

Take a look at Nissan Micra. Few people have bought this in my circle and are very happy.

I would go with diesel for higher resale value, better mileage and cheaper running. Maintenance cost should be ok if you take good care of the vehicle.

All the best.
Thanks Rafian for the information , I just went through the webiste of Nissan Micra. Also gone through the ownership review of sandip24 " Nissan Micra – XV Diesel – Ownership Review : 2 Months - 3500 Kms & Still Counting". The interesting part is mileage of 24 kms in city with on-off AC [clap] Within this week i would go to the Nissan micra showroom and have a look on XV diesel and post you the details.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magi,
Let us ook at your priorities , no matter what people say petrol car will always require much lesser maintenance than diesal ones.

If you are the one of those whose hands may tremble while paying Rs 90 at filling station then dont buy a car. if not then, there is nothing to worry .

I did not buy my car doing all maths but I wanted to travel far distant places, so it proved diesal was preferably better for long runnings considering efficiency,

If you too have desire to go distant places and long drives often, then go for diesal, else petrol is right choice.

For my local commute I have bike bajaj avenger and a honda activa too. Though both rarely return more than 32 km per litre and everyday I fill .

For a diesal engine you may have to add 1 lakh I suppose. but petrol engine will save you from that and you can utilize that 1 lakh economically in later course of time.

For long drive use diesal so that you can avoid frequent filling, for short local commutes and home use Petrol car it would be less hassle,less noisy and more peppy.

buy a mid end car with best offer and add after market comps to your choice like music system, fog lamps etc if necessary only.

Last edited:

Top Bottom