Planning a Bangalore - Best Route for Ooty Trip

Thread Starter #1
I'm planning for a Bangalore-Ooty trip. can you suggest me which route is best for night drive & places that can be covered in addition to Ooty.
Its a 3 day trip...

Thanx in advance... [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Planning a Bangalore - Ooty trip, which route is best

Oops sorry i gave the wrong route! I think you can stay at Mysore for a night.

Hi,
Simple. Bangalore - Mandya- Srirangapatna- Mysore - Nanjangudu-Gundlupete-Bandipur- (through famous 36 hairpin curves)-Ooty. Near Gundlupetete there is a place called Hangala and here you can deviate to right and visit famous Himavad Sri. Gopalaswamy Betta.

I'm planning for a Bangalore-Ooty trip. can you suggest me which route is best for night drive & places that can be covered in addition to Ooty.
Its a 3 day trip...

Thanx in advance... [:)]
Night driving is not allowed through the forest areas AFAIK.

Hi,
Simple. Bangalore - Mandya- Srirangapatna- Mysore - Nanjangudu-Gundlupete-Bandipur- (through famous 36 hairpin curves)-Ooty. Near Gundlupetete there is a place called Hangala and here you can deviate to right and visit famous Himavad Sri. Gopalaswamy Betta.

This is the best route.

Do note that the roads are very bad uphill to the temple. A santro might take it. City/Civic will take a beating.

You can visit Nanjangudu en route too.

Have you seen Mysore? If not then visit mysore,

The whole of Bandipur is banned from 6pm to 6am (or 10pm to 6am)so better leave home at midnight 00:00 and go wait at bandipur.

After Bandipur you will get Mudumalai, there you can take a left which goes through Masinagudi and then ooty which is only 40-50kms and 36 hairpin bends, but you have to ride extremely cautious because this road particularly is steeper,narrow,dangerous.

If you plan to go for a bigger Route Via Gudalur then don't take a left at mudumalai just go straight which is more than 50kms and the journey is longer.

I would suggest going up through Mudumalai/Gudalur. Though it is longer the road is not very steep and there are plenty of points of interest to see on the way up. (pykara falls, pykara lake which is much better than the Ooty lake, needle point rock, etc.to name a few). You might even sight some wild elephants enroute Mudumalai like we did.

Coming down you can take the Masinagudi route with the 36 hairpin mends and also some view point and a waterfalls.

You can also visit Coonor. (Sims park)

If you haven't yet visited Ooty,

If you are planning to take Kanakapura road, I suggest the road conditions between Kollegal to Malavalli is bad. Kanakapura road is good to do a steady 80-100. Between Malavalli to Kollegal you pass through some villages where the roads are narrow. After that until Chamrajnagar roads are good. From Chamrajnagar you can goto Gundulpet and from there to Ooty. The routes are open throughout unless like Bhandipur and you avoid the confusion of bypassing Mysore.

Cheers,
Ram

If you haven't yet visited Ooty,

If you are planning to take Kanakapura road, I suggest the road conditions between Kollegal to Malavalli is bad. Kanakapura road is good to do a steady 80-100. Between Malavalli to Kollegal you pass through some villages where the roads are narrow. After that until Chamrajnagar roads are good. From Chamrajnagar you can goto Gundulpet and from there to Ooty.
Cheers,
Ram
Whoa[surprise] this is really a big round to reach Ooty! Not recommended

The routes are open throughout unless like Bhandipur and you avoid the confusion of bypassing Mysore.
To avoid Mysore City one should go through the ring road in Mysore that's it.

This is the right season to travel to Ooty through Bandipur forest. Be prepaired with ur Camera ON and ensure to drive slow to avoid accidents with animals crossing road. Try hit the forest by 7 or 8 am. which means, start from Bang by max4:30. This will also help u avoid traffic.

Thanks Vishwas, for correcting me. I take this route for Coimbatore.

Drive Safe!
Yes its good for Coimbatore but not for Ooty, because you have make a round trip throughout the forest.

BTW what's the duration between Bangalore to Coimbatore Via Chamarajanagar?

BTW what's the duration between Bangalore to Coimbatore Via Chamarajanagar?
Hi Vishwas,
I started at 2PM from Sundarapuram and met my cousin brother at Sathy, spend around 30 minutes. I reached Whitefield Bangalore at 9:30PM. I stopped for photoes before Hasanur close to 15 minutes This was while returning back from Diwali holidays. Traffic was less entire route. I drive around 80-100KMPH (not sure, if I qualify for a sedate driver!).

Route was pleasant, especially enjoyed Banari to Hasanur thoroughly. No traffic at all. Route still Chamrajnagar is good. But between Kollegal to Malavalli the roads are pathetic and we need to cross villages with really narrow roads. Once you reach Kanakapura road, the drive becomes easier.

Once in a while we can take this route. Otherways during early hour journey I profer Hosur - krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mettur - Sathy - Coimbatore.

But the route I mentioned via Chamrajnagar is stress free. The hair pin bends are wider too. Don't take this route after sunset or before sunrise, I literally found no residence or shop in between.

Drive Safe!

Hi Vishwas,
I started at 2PM from Sundarapuram and met my cousin brother at Sathy, spend around 30 minutes. I reached Whitefield Bangalore at 9:30PM. I stopped for photoes before Hasanur close to 15 minutes This was while returning back from Diwali holidays. Traffic was less entire route. I drive around

Yes the drive is very refreshing in this route.

Drive Safe!
80-100KMPH (not sure, if I qualify for a sedate driver!).
This speed is enough for those roads.

Route was pleasant, especially enjoyed Banari to Hasanur thoroughly. No traffic at all. Route still Chamrajnagar is good. But between Kollegal to Malavalli the roads are pathetic and we need to cross villages with really narrow roads. Once you reach Kanakapura road, the drive becomes easier.
Loved the route very much till Chamarajanagar, After that you will feel the heat of private drivers always blocking our way

Once in a while we can take this route. Otherways during early hour journey I profer Hosur - krishnagiri - Thoppur - Mettur - Sathy - Coimbatore.
This is good only if you want to reach the destination real fast.

But the route I mentioned via Chamrajnagar is stress free. The hair pin bends are wider too. Don't take this route after sunset or before sunrise, I literally found no residence or shop in between.
We actually took this route on the night to test the Ghats for reaching Trichy as we had to drop my grandma at Mysore , That was a nice road and really stress free

Top Bottom