Picked Up Grand Daddy: Mitsubishi Montero (Pajero MK4) Drives In

Thread Starter #17
^^ Thank you sharpshooter sahab hows your PS doing long time no updates ?

So in line with my pursuit to restore this to full glory - the item which was a biggest question mark while purchase was the EGR , OBD scans already told me what was the problem pre purchase.
I was hoping a thorough clean up of EGR might solve the problem and temporarily it did, it worked well for a week post clean up, but then egr code appeared again. So i decided in replacing the egr, as the previous egr motor had gone weak and cudnt operate the valves.
I sourced the part from Raj bhai in Delhi and put it in myself. Unfortunately the DC motor is a sealed unit and hard to repair.

With a bad EGR i noticed a coarser sounding engine, once i replaced the new EGR, i removed the battery for 15 mins, so thats one way to reset the ECU and then it goes in to relearning mode - you can do same via the MUT tool too, this was just more easier for me.
Post this the engine was back to the original sound - only thing left is to service all fluids and replace them entirely, will update that in next post. Post this did several OBD scans and found no issues whatsoever.

Some pictures

Old EGR

IMG_20190421_151259.jpg
IMG_20190421_154347.jpg
IMG_20190421_155117.jpg

New EGR

IMG-20190504-WA0079.jpg

Thread Starter #18
The next item inline was getting the body rubbed thoroughly and then polished and finally 10h coat that i had done on the PS and Isuzu as well, the pics from the opening post already shows the outer effects, to be frank its no match to the PS or Isuzu as far as body shine is concerned but then i have to respect the fact that daddy is 10 years old.
I also got underbody coating done, there was very very minor surface rust at couple of places, so had to sand it before the coat, here are some pictures, Also the silencer was zinc coated - so nothing to bother from here hopefully as far as body and underbody goes :-

Before
IMG-20190511-WA0116.jpg

After
IMG-20190512-WA0032.jpg
IMG-20190512-WA0033.jpg

Thread Starter #19
Next in line was a comprehensive service with all fluids change - the problem with a used car purchase is always the unknown gremlins and what the previous owner might have done,claims to have done vs really done.
So to assuage those fears i decided ill replace all fluids , flush and replace in some cases like engine oil and Coolant.

• Liquimoly flush was used with existing engine oil and flushed out, Oil was replaced with Shell Synthetic
  • Synthetic oil went in to both front and rear diffs
  • Transfer case was GL5 spec as per Mitsu recommendations
  • ATF fluid and Filter were both replaced - most expensive of the lot as SP3 fluid is 1000Rs a litre nearly and the process requires 9+ litres
  • All underbody checks and torquing were done
  • Diesel, Oil filter, AC and Air filter all are replaced
All on all , i have a fresh baseline from here, pending is coolant flush and brake check - a brake bleeding nipple is broken and i am awaiting that part post which ill replace these two.
Some pictures from the busy day at the workshop

Firstly ATF drain and replace process, this is quite lengthy , as it involves a process of draining oil out of pan as well as front pipes which go through the pump and ATF cooler - this is time consuming but the no.1 most important thing to do
IMG_20190523_114318.jpg

Old vs New ATF filter
IMG_20190523_114454.jpg
IMG_20190523_114508.jpg
IMG_20190523_114653.jpg

Two Magnets at the bottom of the ATF drain pan
IMG_20190523_121545.jpg

Refitted back
IMG_20190523_123033.jpg

It drank all of that!
IMG_20190523_150101.jpg
IMG_20190523_160428.jpg

All oils drained
IMG_20190523_160812.jpg

Shell Liquid Gold goes in
IMG_20190523_160908.jpg

New Oil and Diesel filters
IMG_20190523_162648.jpg
IMG_20190523_162654.jpg

Transfer case and Diff oils
IMG_20190523_165729.jpg
IMG_20190523_165735.jpg
IMG_20190523_165749.jpg

Patient finally getting off the ICU
IMG_20190523_130545.jpg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Very satisfying for an owner as well as us audience too ,to see all that going on in your car.Old blood drained and brand new put in all the pipes and ducts.Fresh fluids,Fresh energy.
How is the performance now on the road after all this being done?
Any perceived improvements,large or small? Has the engine note softened ? Or its all just the same?
When I do all this on my car, I force my brain to at-least psychologically think that Yes the improvement is there!Like engine is more smooth etc etc.

Thread Starter #21
Absolutely Sir, the vehicle is absolutely smooth now, note softened post ecu relearning, shifts are smooth too - i did a 1200 km run recently and got 12.59 kmpl on a full tank(MID showed 12.3)! Yes from a Montero most people wont believe it. This was a pure highway run speeds not exceeding 100 and kept at a steady 90-95kmph.

Usually with all such a changes you do feel a perceived difference, the only exception i notice is on the isuzu even after a service and when you go from mineral to synth - there is no difference whatsoever.

Screenshot_20190603_175432_com.kajda.fuelio.jpg
IMG_20190601_033232.jpg

Thread Starter #22
Some minor items i replaced in a last 2 weeks purchased directly from Japan (Amayama) - surprisingly came within 2 weeks or so

3 of the rear AC vents were wonky probably kids damaged the vents, so replaced them with new ones, thankfully the colors matched, mitsubishi has 2 variants grey and beige and i felt color blind while choosing
IMG_20190421_070543.jpg
IMG_20190421_070611.jpg
IMG-20190609-WA0049.jpg
IMG-20190609-WA0051.jpg

The left side splash guard had fallen off, probably taken a hit somewhere - so replaced that as well
IMG_20190421_123426.jpg
IMG_20190609_151849.jpg
IMG_20190609_155159.jpg

I wasnt sure of the condition of the MAF sensor, so bought the liquimoly cleaner and cleaned up the MAF sensor
I
IMG_20190615_180554.jpg
IMG_20190615_180249.jpg

Then bought this to clean seats, i also need a black restorer to restore some bruised edges and conceal the wear - thats next in line
IMG_20190317_153019.jpg

Nearly 90% of the jobs post purchase are done, whats pending now is :-
  • Brake and Clutch Oil replacement - purchased DOT4 from STP and also bought a brake bleeding valve as the front left is broken. To be done shortly.
  • Coolant flushing and replacement
  • Wheel Alignment

Hello Gentlemen - please welcome the grand daddy Montero to our forum.
Long story short - We sold the farm bolero recently as we had no use for it and wanted something else in lieu.
I was all over the place trying to find a replacement :-

Here is a list of vehicles(both new and old) i scoured :- Gurkha/ Gypsy/ Pajero SFX/ Fortuner/ Nexon/ Hexa/ XUV/ LC(lol)/ Scorpio

Frankly i was all over the place looking for a good replacement from new compact so called SUV to used car market, its a long story!
I even offered for buying a used XUV and Hexa - but as luck had it they got better offers and were sold.

I came across this Montero in Pune and while i was more keen on a SFX as a replacement (i saw several btw) - this one charmed me in the first meet. Spent an enormous amount of time researching and after spending a day underneath the car in the garage i made the move!
This grand daddy is now home - well over 10 years old if you can believe it - Dont ask me the price on the forum [evil]

What I liked :-
  • Legendary 4m41 block - 3.2 litre Diesel Gen4 Pajero - MK4 as they call it.
  • Proven 4x4 Super Select 2 paired with a 5 speed automatic (yes an AT!) - working supremely well - pretested offroad as part of purchase.
  • Fully Loaded - Including an astonishing Rockford Fosgate 12 speaker set up
  • Unique Monocoque and BOF integrated
  • Lot of active and passive safety features including Airbags/ABS/EBD, Mitsubishi active traction control and all the electronics(that work).
  • Heck front seat heaters to warm the buns(in Leh, not MH) !
  • Err, front headlight washers !
  • Absolute bulletproof build - if i thought PS was phenomenal - this one is quite simply over-engineered to the hilt! Probably twice over.
  • Beautiful driving dynamics and ride quality - built for armageddon! All Independent suspension - both front and rear sporting a double wish bone set up!

What i fear:-
  • Exorbitant part costs and service impediments/maintenance - well figured this out well since i already own the PS, have figured ways to manage.
  • Old school engine and noisy - may be thats why the stonking rockford system!
  • Old gearbox 5 speed - not as slick shifting as some modern ones but decent for the age!
  • Its a guzzler compared to PS, but time will tell - lets see how much i manage out of it.
  • Minor interior noises - which i need to sort out.
All in all I simply couldn't resist this - makes me an even more biased Mitsu fan - i am quite simply blown away by the engineering in this in terms of build quality and the extent to which mitsu went for each and every part.

Started off with a few things , will update the thread in a few days, the first thing was to restore the body glory and under-body coating - second was a full service including all fluid replacement and replacing any wear and tear items as needed.
Some pictures for starters (this is after the external restoration/polish) :- I am currently on a mission mode to have it back to full original glory (well atleast close!)
The external restoration was complete paint or was the painting so good and needed just polishing?

Thread Starter #25
what are the differences in driving feel between Pajero Sports and Monty?
Lot of differences, the Montero is significantly over engineered in every which way you see it - but its also ageing - it has far more electronics than the PS despite being older -> Its pretty efficient on the highway , though city not as much thanks to bigger engine and AT box.
Only thing i would say its noisier than the PS - the engine is loud at idle and city run abouts.
I always thought the PS was well built and engineered but Montero is next level - every part oozes quality and durability and reliability - it was built to take on the LC afterall!

The external restoration was complete paint or was the painting so good and needed just polishing?
It was decent and i did some minor jobs - it looks good in pics to be honest thanks to studio lights - its not bad in real life !

Some internal pics, monty goes LED inside
@Iron Rock - After seeing all pics & reading the effort, I don't feeling anything much other than 'green' - not sure why !

Your SUV has transformed less cause of oil refresh, parts change, servicing etc., more due to your passion. I have been trying to get a good/solid Monty for sometime (Mumbai or from Pune is also fine), anything you can do to help will be appreciated - thanks

Sarkar many congratulations on this acquisition, another beast joining your garage.This looks pretty neat and well maintained car which you got your hands on.
It would be good to see a small comparo of your machines and their highway cruising ability and differences.Keep updating and keep enjoying your rides.

Thread Starter #29
@Iron Rock - After seeing all pics & reading the effort, I don't feeling anything much other than 'green' - not sure why !

Your SUV has transformed less cause of oil refresh, parts change, servicing etc., more due to your passion. I have been trying to get a good/solid Monty for sometime (Mumbai or from Pune is also fine), anything you can do to help will be appreciated - thanks
Thank you sir, more than happy to help you on the Monty quest - please also let me know your budget or may be you can pm me - there is one silver monty for sale in mumbai, I TDed it before i went for this one - but that body had a lot more scratches than mine so i skipped it (nothing way too alarming though)

Sarkar many congratulations on this acquisition, another beast joining your garage.This looks pretty neat and well maintained car which you got your hands on.
It would be good to see a small comparo of your machines and their highway cruising ability and differences.Keep updating and keep enjoying your rides.
Congratulation sir, am also waiting your unveil of the green monster on the forum formall! I will try to do a comparo shortly. All 3 are very different beasts though 2 are 2.5 litre remapped beasts and the monty is a 3.2 - i intend to remap monty closer to end of the year once i stabilise it to the baseline i desire.

Last edited:

Top Bottom