Pick up Issue with My Punto Diesel

Thread Starter #1
I own a 2011 Punto MJD Emotion Pack. My car has done 6000kms and is 5 months old. Recently my friend bought a Punto Active Diesel. I found that the pick up much more than my car and engine is very responsive. Also the suspension is better and power steering is lighter. The power steering maybe lighter as mine has got wider alloys. That is fine. Now I wanted to double check with a 2011 Active as I have heard Fiat has done some changes to the 2012 models. I did a test drive on one my friends Punto Active diesel 2011. To my utter frustration, this car too had a better pick up than mine [lol]. My car feels much heavier and it seems as if the car is slogging to rave up. Also I feel my clutches are hard. I have done my first servicing last week. I am very unhappy and confused. A top model car behaving this ways is not good. Guys it will be a life saver if someone can help me overcome my problem.

Responses awaited..eagerly !!!

Re: Pick up Issue with my Diesel Punto

In indian car scene Most manufacturers wont change the core part of the vehicle according to the model. of course we have punto 90 HP and other models
where as on those specs they clearly said its 90 Hp.

in generic active or emotion blah blah blah refers to few changes to internal and little bit external cosmetic and comfort level changes.

any way your friends punto is new one so as it responds better; that doesnt means day by day car response will go low,

you have to check out with the Service ppl to fix if any thing blocks the pickup / response of the car.

There could be a minor problem. Rather going and asking here and there better visit service center. If service technician gets convienced with your problem u ar through or else have TD of another punto there at service center.

Are all the tyres properly inflated to the required mark? May be silly, but at times such small things makes a drastic difference.

I too was feeling the same when I picked up my Figo from FASS after 2nd service. The pickup was very different than it was. Then checked the air pressure, which was 4 PSI lesser than the prescribed ones.

Buddy, first check the air filter, it should not be clogged.

Next check the turbo hose for any leakage.

2012 Punto are said to be faster as they have done some changes to the ECU.

Thread Starter #6
Are all the tyres properly inflated to the required mark? May be silly, but at times such small things makes a drastic difference.

I too was feeling the same when I picked up my Figo from FASS after 2nd service. The pickup was very different than it was. Then checked the air pressure, which was 4 PSI lesser than the prescribed ones.
You have a point Figoian. I will get my tyres checked tomorrow. if it works..You get birdie prize :-)

Raj i am planning to take my car to the service staion this monday. For sure I will ask the mechanic to check the air filter and turbo hose as suggested by you. You are very right in saying that some changes has been done to the ECU. Its a a very valid point. So my question to you is, can I get my ECU upgraded?

As raj mentioned these could lead to sluggish feel. additionally.

Punto's ECu works interactively to way you drive. if you drive sedately with fuel economy in mind the ECU sets the throttle response for same .If you are regular scorcher ECu adapts to that too. and this adaptation is bit gradual and with a learning curve.(that is what I have observed)

So an ecu reset will prolly bring it back to normal condition or you have to try flooring the pedal for couple of kilometers.(if you find air filter is clean)

Myself too faced such a situation in my Punto90hp. where in evening I will leave her with delighted heart and after couple of days after my brothers usage she would act strangely slow.

Uneven tire pressure also did create some fuss for me sometimes back where I bought a tire pressure gauge and got everything right.

Thread Starter #9
As raj mentioned these could lead to sluggish feel. additionally.

Punto's ECu works interactively to way you drive. if you drive sedately with fuel economy in mind the ECU sets the throttle response for same .If you are regular scorcher ECu adapts to that too. and this adaptation is bit gradual and with a learning curve.(that is what I have observed)

So an ecu reset will prolly bring it back to normal condition or you have to try flooring the pedal for couple of kilometers.(if you find air filter is clean)

Myself too faced such a situation in my Punto90hp. where in evening I will leave her with delighted heart and after couple of days after my brothers usage she would act strangely slow.

Uneven tire pressure also did create some fuss for me sometimes back where I bought a tire pressure gauge and got everything right.
Great explanation Jayadev. All the time I was not pushing her hard. She must have taken me for granted ;-). I will try being a different lover this week n update you her response. Thanks !

zengetz

Suspended
Dont rule out fuel quality. As a best practice always fill up from a reputed place. Adulterated fuel can also show similar symptoms.

My suspicion would be a clogged air filter or sometime could be the air filter cover has not been latched properly too.

Since your car is equipped with a turbo I'm sure you must be aware how to take care of it. Let the car idle for about 30-45 seconds before you start. Same applies when you are about to shut down the engine.

Let us know how things go tomorrow. Good luck !

Avi -

I hope its not a big issue , wider tyre has some bit of heavy steering from original set up , and also bit of drag due to more friction by tyres. What is your tyre size?

Also just scanning the ecm may get rid of any error codes if at present.

Get it check with ass , and same set of tyres that your friend have.

If engine response in idling is not like as in your friend's car , try installing new air cleaner, check for all the pipes and hose going through the car.

Thread Starter #12
ilango[speed thirst];140098 said:
I hope its not a big issue , wider tyre has some bit of heavy steering from original set up , and also bit of drag due to more friction by tyres. What is your tyre size?

Also just scanning the ecm may get rid of any error codes if at present.

Get it check with ass , and same set of tyres that your friend have.

If engine response in idling is not like as in your friend's car , try installing new air cleaner, check for all the pipes and hose going through the car.
ilango, yes my tyres are bigger than my frens. It is 15''. So i am all right with the heavy steering. But pick up is my main issue. I will take my car to the workshop on Monday and check ecm as advised by you. Will update you on Monday. Thanks for the fantastic response.

Dont rule out fuel quality. As a best practice always fill up from a reputed place. Adulterated fuel can also show similar symptoms.

My suspicion would be a clogged air filter or sometime could be the air filter cover has not been latched properly too.

Since your car is equipped with a turbo I'm sure you must be aware how to take care of it. Let the car idle for about 30-45 seconds before you start. Same applies when you are about to shut down the engine.

Let us know how things go tomorrow. Good luck !

Avi -
zengetz, your point on air filter lights a spark. I will ask the mechanic to check if its latched properly. I have taken down the notes. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom