Philips X-Treme Power vs Osram Night Breaker

Which one is the best

• Osram Night Breaker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I Amaren,i to own an Ertiga,i was fed up of existing setup,So i installed 90/100watt kit,with hella bulbs at Rs.1100 in sion koliwada.They did'nt cut any wires,even today i got installed in another friend car wagon R at same rate.It did make a difference.

See they take power directly from the battery.
another connection is taken from one of the Female connector of OE headlamp,by connecting it with male connector of relay wiring.
Rest the relay wiring is directly grounded to they body.
No wires were cut through.Light bought back my confidence to drive in nights.

Warranty issue:asked SA,they told me only headlamp warranty will be voided,If any of the wires are cut through.

another thing some of they TAI guys claim,it may blacken your headlamps,or turning into pale due to heat.But mine experience,none happened with my last car.

@Patkar_a
Thank you very much for the information. It was quite helpful, since you have first hand experience with these lamps and did not find any adverse effect on the lense or reflector. Seeing the cost of other alternatives are above 2K, I will opt for similar setup as yours.
If i understand what you said regarding wiring is that, battery is directly connected as the bulbs via relays, and the relay is switched on/off using the power from the old socket supply. Correct me if I am wrong.
I will just check out the price of hella lamps in my locality (Kharghar) if it is in the range 1000-1300 ,will get it installed there or will come down to koliwada to get it done.

Relay gets power directly from Battery.
Relay is turned On/Off using 1 of the old socket(oem).
Get the Kit,in which socket must be made of Ceramic(chinni matti).
I have attached the image of those sockets uploaded Shantanu.Iko. for your reference,You will get the whole kit with philips or hella lamps precisely at the price of Rs.1100-1300.
Whole kit includes 1)wiring
2)headlamps
3)relay

Keep the old headlamps(55/60 w) with yourself,might be usefull in emergency.

Attachments

Last edited:
@ Highway Ranger
Self have upgraded the fog lamps. It was direct replacement of bulb (H3 type). It is not a sealed unit. Yet not much improvement.
Thinking of H3 Night breaker

@ Highway Ranger
Self have upgraded the fog lamps. It was direct replacement of bulb (H3 type). It is not a sealed unit. Yet not much improvement.
Are u replacing only the fog lamp with nightbreaker? any technical or legal issues if we replace the main headlight with the nightbreaker.

I ordered for philips xtreme vision H7 mount costing 1400/- for a set of 2 bulbs for my manza should be arriving by Wednesday, just wondering do we need to change both low & high beam or should it be only in high beam for highway driving with heavy dipper usage at night?

Last edited:
@ Highway Ranger
I too thinking to upgrade my ritz's fog lamp, Is there any suggestion from your side- I think it's H8 type bulb

Ok now iam thinking of upgrading my k10 WagonR's headlamp bulb to philips nightvision or osram nightbreaker.I want only a stock replacement bulb(no additional relays or cutting). Which one should i go for?

what is the average street price of both of these?
Will i get atleast a 50%improvement over my stock bulb?
Do i need separate low and high beam bulb if i upgrade to any of these?

please reply.

I upgraded last week & I don't see anywhere 50% brighter maybe I need to check the light head adjustment. Mostly high beam is changed you can keep the low beam as stock bulb. I bought Philips X-Treme Power H7 mount which is bit expensive cost me 1400/- with fitting.

wagonR has h4 type bulbs.Does it also need seperate high and low beam bulbs?

now there is only one bulb in the holder.So if i upgrade to these do i need to add another bulb to the present holder?

Osram Night breaker failed for me. Cost was more than 1.5k and had remove it within a week. I was expecting the fall and light as in Toyota corolla altis.

I have been using Philips Xtreme vision for the last 2 years on my Polo. H4 60/55W. No change in wiring. No warranty issues. They are much better compared to the stock Osram 60/55W came as OE. Low beam coil for one of the bulb went dead a couple of weeks back. So replaced both sides with a new set.

There are a lot of Chinese fakes available in market. Please double check and confirm that the bulbs are genuine before you buy. Here is my little knowledge on identifying a fake. (I went to 6 accessories showroom 2 weeks back looking for the bulb. Below points are conclusions made with my own experience and with inputs some genuine showroom people I can believe)

1. Base: Color of the base will will have a very slight copperish tint while fakes will have a bluish iron tint.

2. Embossing: Original bulbs has base type, volts, wattage and country of manufacturing embossed starting with Philips. I identified fake ones just by checking these embossing. None of them has this and some had some data printed in black color.

3. Xtreme Vision bulbs imported to India are Either made in Germany or Poland. Origin country is always embossed on the base of the bulb. Fake ones will not have these.

4. There is a blue ring just below the reflective tip. Fake ones will have this just painted.

5. Always buy these kinds of electrical components from any reputed dealers.

Above are just my observations. I am no expert in auto parts or electricals. But i keenly observe everything before I buy. Experts can correct me if I am wrong. [:)]

I have been using Philips Xtreme vision for the last 2 years on my Polo. H4 60/55W. No change in wiring. No warranty issues. They are much better compared to the stock Osram 60/55W came as OE. Low beam coil for one of the bulb went dead a couple of weeks back. So replaced both sides with a new set.

There are a lot of Chinese fakes available in market. Please double check and confirm that the bulbs are genuine before you buy. Here is my little knowledge on identifying a fake. (I went to 6 accessories showroom 2 weeks back looking for the bulb. Below points are conclusions made with my own experience and with inputs some genuine showroom people I can believe)

1. Base: Color of the base will will have a very slight copperish tint while fakes will have a bluish iron tint.

2. Embossing: Original bulbs has base type, volts, wattage and country of manufacturing embossed starting with Philips. I identified fake ones just by checking these embossing. None of them has this and some had some data printed in black color.

3. Xtreme Vision bulbs imported to India are Either made in Germany or Poland. Origin country is always embossed on the base of the bulb. Fake ones will not have these.

4. There is a blue ring just below the reflective tip. Fake ones will have this just painted.

5. Always buy these kinds of electrical components from any reputed dealers.

Above are just my observations. I am no expert in auto parts or electricals. But i keenly observe everything before I buy. Experts can correct me if I am wrong. [:)]
Thanks hobeezz for those wonderful pointers. They are definitely to look out for while buying a new EV bulb. Although I have been using these bulbs for few years now, I never bothered to look for all of them except only the hologram (which can be duplicated easily). Good to realize that I was lucky enough not to have been duped all these years partly because I always bought these from a Philips authorized distributor in Bangalore.

Here is my little bit on both the bulbs being compared here.

I have been using both Philips Extreme Vision (previously Xtreme power) and Osram Night Breaker plus (previously Night Breaker) on my cars & bikes for past five years (no relays & wiring harnesses for me). I would like to share my personal experience with both bulbs which might be of help to fellow members...

Osram Nightbreaker Plus: These bulbs are brighter & whiter compared to stock bulbs. Although they claim a 40m longer beam and 100% more light on road in reality I feel the improvement is not more than 35-40%. They throw a more bluish light (color temp 3900K) compared to their Philips counterpart. Their life also seems to be shorter compared to the Philips ones. Cost also is marginally lower than the Philips ones. I had started off with Rs 650 a pair and now I believe they cost anywhere between 900 to 1100. With their chrome tip these bulbs however look very stylish when your headlight is off (of course if you have a transparent lens).

Philips Extreme Vision: Same amount of throw and light as compared to NB Plus. The light is more whitish (read less bluish - color temp 3500K) compared to the NB Plus. Gives better visibility in rains and fog. Longevity is more compared to the NB Plus. Cost is marginally higher - around 1150-1200 for a pair.

Currently I have Extreme Vision installed both for my Headlamps (H4) & Fog lights (HB4 9006). Given an option I would personally prefer the Philips Extreme Vision, reason being they don't blow out easily and they have a lower color temperature - better for bad weather.

Why didn't I go for a 90/100 setup? To be very frank, I am scared & apprehensive. Scared that the heat would damage my lens and assembly. Moreover (being from the electrical background) I believe higher power would draw more current through the electrical system (8.33 amps vs 5 amps) which I feel might be detrimental to the car's electrical system in the long run. Our cars are built for a 55/60 kind of assembly. If the electrical system can support 90/100 setup, the manufacturers themselves would have installed 90/100 bulbs. Today's cars are so highly dependent on the electrical system & electronics; the last thing I would like to do is fiddle with the electrical system. This is just my reasoning; I would prefer to leave this to the experts though.

Whichever bulb you choose, just make sure you always keep a working spare bulb of the same variant always with you. These are kind of premium products and very few people stock them. You might not be able to find one in some remote town (or even city) when on a long drive away from home.

Another point almost always missed out is the head-light alignment. I would recommend getting the alignment checked and adjusted through a qualified professional at least once every six months. Most of the 'less & pathetic light' issues get addressed considerably after getting proper alignment done. I know of a friend complaining about the pathetic light from his Figo headlamps for almost a year until one day I got his headlamps aligned at a service center. Now he is pretty happy even on the stock bulbs... [:)]

Guys,

I am planning to upgrade bulbs in my Zen Estilo'07 model. Please suggest which one is better Osram NB or Philips X-treme.

I want to stick to the stock configuration but still if I want to upgrade. What would be ideal and do I have to check / re-done wiring for higher capacity bulbs ?

Lastly, from where I can get these bulbs / install at reasonable price in Delhi.

Thanks
Hi Shailinder,

Have you changed the bulbs? If yes, which ones have you purchased and how is their performance?

Hey hobeezz,

Very good pointers to look out for before buying these expensive bulbs!!

How do you find Xtreme visions compared to any other similar products (NB's, Xtreme power)?

Hi Shailinder,

Hey hobeezz,

Very good pointers to look out for before buying these expensive bulbs!!

How do you find Xtreme visions compared to any other similar products (NB's, Xtreme power)?
Well, I have used only Phillips bulbs. So cannot commend on NB/NB+. Xtreme vision is a newer version after Xtreme Power. Though I cannot say it gives x% plus light, I can surely say that to a layman's eyes, the beam is much brighter.

Best

Top Bottom