Philips H4 Headlamp Bulbs

H4 90/100 or H4 100/130 both from Hella and philips(difficult to find) are available. You will have to fix a relay to avoid damage to the holders. Generally holders are ceramic holders and can withstand the extra heat generated with relays added even if you do a night stretch. Without relays, i ended up melting mine! Also, all these powerful bulbs have lesser life compared to 60/55, but who cares, Don't you want that extra throw?

Please clarify me - 90/100 is not legally allowed on our cars? That miught be different that COPS are not currently harrasing on upgrade but you never know what rule can be changed? Simila to one with black windows.

A lot of people drive without papers and insurance, not to mention valid licenses.It will be a little while before cops take action on higher wattage bulbs.

You can avoid attracting attention by driving with low beam instead of of high beam, using the high beam only when needed.

Just make sure you use ceramic holders and are aware that the higher powered bulbs will cause your headlight lenses(if made of plastic) to become yellow due to the extra heat that they generate.

Last edited:
but then you never know when our beloved cops will take you aside and refill there pockets [;)]
comon buddy, if with powerful beam it makes difficult for others, it does for cops too..but they are way far from making money from this one as they have better options available to make your pocket lighter![lol] They have not yet procured VLT meters to keep tinted glass under scanner by the orders of SC of India, beam power judgement is light years away.
just keep your papers updated coz even if he stops you for bright light, this is the first thing he is going to look for. In my whole lifetime of drive through RJ, DL, JK, PB, UK, MP, MH, KA, AP, TN, BR, UP AND HR the only time i was stopped was at jaipur at 2100 h(approx) near a busy junction close to railway station. Sequence was like this:-

1. Traffic cop- " Roko roko, high beam kyu hai?"
2. me- " Low pe rakhta hu, overtake karte samay high kiya tha!(whatever strikes first,shoot it)"
3. cop- " Lau g paper dikhao..kahan ki gaadi hai? kaun ho? kahan jaa rahe ho..?? blah, blah.."
everything intact and nothing to be checked at [clap](or he was too gentle!!), i continued..
btw, i was driving with Hella 110/90(white, no blue lights) and have additional Hella Rallye fitted..they just light up the road and is absolutely a must during night drives!

I always changed the Headlight bulbs to Philips Rally 90/100 when I get a new car. But last time when I changed in my Indica the holder melted badly. Then I had to change it to a ceramic holder.

But now when I got my i10 then I was not able to change holder easily as its has just 1 adapter connected to the complete headlight that gives current to parking, headlight and indicators. I did not want to cut any wires so I didn't change the holder nor the stock bulb. Now I have fitted white LED's in parking, indicators and rear number plate. So I decided to change the headlight bulbs also to white. After looking at all options I decided to go with Osram Crystal vision. These are 55/60 so no other changes will be needed. Got the bulbs yesterday and today I am going to open the headlight and change them. Then I'll tell you the difference in light.

I always changed the Headlight bulbs to Philips Rally 90/100 when I get a new car. But last time when I changed in my Indica the holder melted badly. Then I had to change it to a ceramic holder.

But now when I got my i10 then I was not able to change holder easily as its has just 1 adapter connected to the complete headlight that gives current to parking, headlight and indicators. I did not want to cut any wires so I didn't change the holder nor the stock bulb. Now I have fitted white LED's in parking, indicators and rear number plate. So I decided to change the headlight bulbs also to white. After looking at all options I decided to go with Osram Crystal vision. These are 55/60 so no other changes will be needed. Got the bulbs yesterday and today I am going to open the headlight and change them. Then I'll tell you the difference in light.
Great. Hope you should have done it by now. Pls let us know your feed back on this. I heard one major problem with white is in rainy day it may not have good visibility.

I heard one major problem with white is in rainy day it may not have good visibility.
Leave the rainy day aside, I got almost 0 visibility in normal conditions[frustration]. Light is white but you couldn't see it on road. If a car is coming towards you or you even go under a street light, you can't see your light on road [anger].

While installing, I installed Phillips rally 90/100 in one headlight and this Osram crystal vision in the other. Then I checked both lights on the wall. Osram's Light seemed much much whiter and brighter than the rally 90/100 on the wall. But I don't know where it goes on the road.

My money is wasted. I'll try to change it with philips extreme vision or osram nightbreaker if the shopkeeper agrees.

A lot of people drive without papers and insurance, not to mention valid licenses.It will be a little while before cops take action on higher wattage bulbs.
You can avoid attracting attention by driving with low beam instead of of high beam, using the high beam only when needed.
What is the rule for Fog/Auxiliary Lights ? The light bar with 4 lights on the roof of the car is certainly banned. But the cops never stop the SUVs with these lights. My friend's santro was many a times stopped due to this light bar. What and how many aux lights can be legally installed ?

Just make sure you use ceramic holders and are aware that the higher powered bulbs will cause your headlight lenses(if made of plastic) to become yellow due to the extra heat that they generate.
What if we use D clips instead of ceramic or plastic holders. Then nothing will be there to melt.

White light will get drowned in the orange street lights. That is expected. This happens even with HID kits.
Get Osram nightbreaker plus or Philips XtremeVision.
I have XtremeVision on my Spark and they are really good.

@Shantanu : Even if you use D clips, what Jarpickle mentioned is that , the reflector will turn yellow eventually if you use 90/100 bulbs due to heat.

Last edited:
@suku, Even I was with the idea of upgrading my sparky's head light. I feel if I get some more power it will be nice.

For Xtreamvision or Osram NB do we need relay and other stuffs. How about guarantee with Chevy.

@Shantanu : Even if you use D clips, what Jarpickle mentioned is that , the reflector will turn yellow eventually if you use 90/100 bulbs due to heat.
I was talking about melting plastic holders.

@suku, Even I was with the idea of upgrading my sparky's head light. I feel if I get some more power it will be nice.

For Xtreamvision or Osram NB do we need relay and other stuffs. How about guarantee with Chevy.
@Sethu Sir, You will need relay and wiring harness if you upgrade to any 100/90 bulbs. If you install any 55/60W bulb then no relay is required.

It is stock replacement 55/60 bulb. No wiring changes are needed. Just remove the old bulb and fit them in.
The stock Halonix ones are just crap.

Last edited:

Top Bottom