Peugeot 309 Restoration

@Ashwin
Hmm, great job and it was my favorite car that point when it was launched in India and dreamed owning one and ended up buying a used 118NE during 90s.

Eager to see this beauty when I am in Bangalore next
Wish to see more pics soon

Please can you post some video that will allow us to hear the roar from under the hood. And some from inside the cabin while you are driving; That will be a great thing.

Peugeot Detailing (39) (Copy).JPG

It's the first thread I read on the forum and thus my first post here, mainly to point out that your right front tyre (chances are that one more on the left side, will be too) is rotating in the wrong direction. Those Yokohama S drives are unidirectional tyres and don't offer the same wear resistance and water dissipation properties when turning in the wrong direction. There is an arrow provided on the sidewalls for your reference.

Oh, nearly forgot. Great car and lovely restoration. Kudos !!

Just came across this post. One word to describe this effort - BRILLIANT[clap]
Any no of claps will not do justice. I used to see a yellow coloured 309 well maintained in Mulund. Don't know whether the guy still has it.

Thread Starter #22
Could you give me more details of how you repaired the dash with carbon fibre. actually i wanted to put carbon fibre on my indica vista dashboard(got faded due to sunlight exposure) but the car accessories guy was reluctant saying its better for car exteriors mainly.
Hi Kenlitting,

The Carbon Fiber that your Car accessories guy is talking about is just a Stick on Vinyl that has the Carbon Fiber Effect embossed on it.
It is only useful for cosmetic and aesthetic purpose.
It might work in your case as you only want to wrap the dashboard to enhance its look.
Remember to use 3M Primer 94 Adhesive Promoter to make sure the vinyl sticks to the Dashboard well and stays stuck for a few years.
I have used a German Vinyl on my Bonnet as you can see from the photos. This was done almost 4 years back and is still looking good.
I also used the Japanese 3M Di-NOC carbon Fiber Vinyl on the Dashboard Facia surrounding the Speedometer Cluster.
Di-Noc Carbon Fibre Vinyl, Range of Colours! - Amazing Prices, Fast Delivery - Carbon Mods

This vinyl is of no use when you have to repair a cracked dash like I had to.
In my case I had to use actual Carbon Fiber to recreate my Dashboard as it had fully cracked.
See the photos for the procedure involved. It is a bit messy, but I managed to do it myself at home.
You can also check out the link Carbon fibre skinning kit - cover / wrap your own parts in carbon fiber - Carbon Mods and see the demo video there.

Hope this clears up your doubt.

IMAG1174 (Copy).jpg

IMAG1175 (Copy).jpg

IMAG1179 (Copy).jpg

IMAG1182 (Copy).jpg

IMAG1184 (Copy).jpg

IMAG1185 (Copy).jpg

IMAG1187 (Copy).jpg

IMAG1216 (Copy).jpg

Thread Starter #23
Ah, the 309 GLD with the TUD5 engine!

I remember I was head over heels with this car and had almost made up my mind to buy it but couldn't because I was too young to have any money with me at that time:stupid:. Loved the petrol motor too. Added benefit of the TUD5 was the better ride quality courtesy the stiffer dampers that were necessitated owing to the added weight of the TUD5.

Noisy, clattery but a hell of a tough engine, this. Good for its time though.

Those were the days when Peugeot made well nigh indestructible cars. Solid, mechanically reliable, and extremely comfortable. And that styling - drawn, not carved. Sketched, not moulded.

Good job there by your mechanic. How much for the restoration? Could you please submit a cost breakup for various jobs? Premier was fitting the Rio with TUD5 motor till very recently - maybe you could approach a Premier dealership for spares if needed, provided you could find a Premier dealership first:biggrin:.

Feels great to see you spend so much on this car. Take my word for this - you pamper this car and it will hold itself so well that you could one day inherit it to your progeny.

Tough times dont last, but tough cars do[cheers]!

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
Sam
Sam,
Thanks for your message.
just a small observation:
Other than the body work and Painting of the car, All other Mechanical, Electrical and Cosmetic work on the car was done by me personally. No Mechanic Involved.:-)

View attachment 137955

It's the first thread I read on the forum and thus my first post here, mainly to point out that your right front tyre (chances are that one more on the left side, will be too) is rotating in the wrong direction. Those Yokohama S drives are unidirectional tyres and don't offer the same wear resistance and water dissipation properties when turning in the wrong direction. There is an arrow provided on the sidewalls for your reference.

Oh, nearly forgot. Great car and lovely restoration. Kudos !!
Hi Vivek,
Thanks for pointing out the tyre rotation issue.
That photo was taken on the very night the Car came back from the Paint Booth after final polishing.
The guys there had swapped the front tyres around.
It was noticed and corrected the next day morning.
Thanks again.

Really good to see a peugeot 309 tastefully restored [clap].
The magwheels really go well with the car
Hope you get happy miles ahead with it.

All the best :)

Thread Starter #25
Hi Guys,
Forgot to add a few more items in the original list of work done on the car given in the first post.

Brand New Clutch Plate, Pressure Plate and Release Bearing.
New Brake Disk Rotors and Brake Pads for the Front.
New Brake Drums and Brake Shoes for the Back.
New Lower Tracking Arms for the front.
New Suspension Bushes.
Changed Radiator fans.
K&N OE Replacement Air Filter.
Digital Tachometer for Diesel Engines (car does not have one originally)
720p Dual Camera Car DVR. It records all activity in front and back of the car while driving.
Integrated Ghost Lights to the front doors with the Peugeot Logo as seen in the photo.

Now awaiting some uprated Shock absorbers from Bilstien that has been ordered.

Will keep adding more as and when I remember them. ;-)

Wow! Thats a classy restoration job from your end Ashton20001. The vinyl work is also pretty decent, it look almost like a new car now.
What is right term for the blue light Peugeot logo thing below the driver's door? Is it OE or aftermarket?
Hats of to your passion and the good taste in mod job.[:)]

I remember seeing a DEAD Peugeot 309 when I was just 4. Always dreaming how that will look in showroom condition. Saw it now and you made my dream come true. Very nice work done!!! COST???

Hi Aswin,

I am planning to purchase one Peugeot 309GLD and want to do a complete overhaul, will request you to kindly guide me on this.

Will wait for your reply

Regards,
Dhawal

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Aswin,

Read through the post. Excellent restoration[clap]. The car looks to be pristine condition. My dad used to say that Peugeot 309 was the car he wanted to own but ended up with the omni due to finances.

The car has got a neat, timeless design that it matches with the current times. By the way the alloys are fantastic[cheers]

Is that vinyl stickering your have done on the bonnet, front grill, ORVMs?[thinking]

Also pls share the stats of the car...

Total cost of the job done
reading on the odo
fuel economy
other stats...

Last edited:
Wow! Thats a classy restoration job from your end Ashton20001. The vinyl work is also pretty decent, it look almost like a new car now.
What is right term for the blue light Peugeot logo thing below the driver's door? Is it OE or aftermarket?
Hats of to your passion and the good taste in mod job.[:)]
Hi Lameassonwheels,

Those are known as Car ghost light logo and is after market. Thats what it is called in ebay.in.
Pls refer the link
http://www.ebay.in/sch/i.html?_odkw...3.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xghost&_nkw=ghost&_sacat=131090
Cheers

Top Bottom