Petrol vs Diesel vs CNG

Thread Starter #1
Hi, I am planning to buy a new car which is my first car. My daily commute is 30KM (1000KM per month). Some of my friends suggested me to take Petrol varient rather than going for diesel for daily commute of 30KM.

Please let me know the advantages and disadvantages of petrol and diesel engines, why they suggested me to take petrol engine for 30KM daily travel. is there any specific reason. (they are not able to explain the reason).

Actually i am thinking of diesel varient why because it is more FE and less expensive comparing to petrol varient. what do you suggest?

one more thing in my mind that what about CNG. Is it cheaper than petrol? what about pickup and resale after getting installation of CNG kit in petrol car. i have heard that there will no pickup and resale value after getting installation of CNG kit.

Please advice me on which car is better if i go for petrol or diesel varients. I have swift/Dzire in my mind.

Hi kasetty_143,

As your daily running is just 30KMs, i would suggest a petrol car. Now about CNG option, I am driving 2008 model Wagon R with CNG fitted from outside since last 3 years. CNG is cheaper than petrol here in delhi it costs around 37.5 per kilo. My car is giving me a FE of 19 Km/kilo in delhi traffic. Now about the pickup issue, yes there is a little pickup issue in my car because it was fitted from outside but if you will go for company fitted sequencial kit then there will be no/neglible pickup issue.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for your valuable response..I am thinking diesel is cheaper than petrol price.Can't we run diesel car for daily commute 30KM. what are the disadvantages of diesel engine. please try to give clear picture on this...

Safe would be a Diesel car considering the situation where the petrol prices are heading to and the monthly run you have.
There was a time when petrol cars where easier and hassle free to maintain. But in the present generation of vehicles the difference between such petrol and diesel engines have decreased a lot. Both of them are almost requires only timely servicing as per schedules of the manufacturer.
But I would say don't go for After market CNG. Stick with the fuel type what comes at stock rather than voiding the warranty.

Top Bottom