Petrol vs Diesel: The Very Old Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: petrol vs diesel car! The VERY OLD QUESTION!

Oups sorry, I want to say monthly 700 + kms
I knew it that there is some typo somewhere. Anyways, I have corrected the same on your post. [:)]

But how have you calculated that if someone's monthly running is 700+, he should buy a diesel car ?

All the calculations will go for a toss once we buys a diesel.

We tend to use the diesel car more often as the diesel price is low and finally end up paying around the same amount for fuel as we used to pay for our previous petrol car. (My personal observation)

My previous petrol zen has covered a little over 60000kms in a little over 6 years, whereas my new diesel has clocked over 17500 kms in less than 9months.

The advantage is that we don't hesitate to plan a trip as we don't have to take fuel expense into consideration.

Comparing same cars Petrol Vs Diesel version
With that much running one can recover is initial extra paid amount within max 5 years.
Even after adding extra EMI amount the cost almost remains same for 5 years, so after 5 years Diesel car will save you a lot of money.

PS: Diesel car allows you to drive 'more', this is total mental game. eg: Many of my friends got petrol cars and they simply don't use them due to high petrol cost instead they use their bike or bus. Then why should one buy car if he is not going to use it?

Comparing different cars Petrol Vs Diesel version does not make any(much) sense.

Even I have the similar question in my mind. My usage is not more than 15-20 kms a day or say 400 Kms a month, but still I want to go for a diesel Car (I favor Tata Safari).
My question is, people say if your usage is not more than say 700 or 1000+ kms a month you should not go for a diesel engine, I want to know exactly what can happen if i travel 300/400 Kms a month and still want to go for diesel engine?

May be experienced people can comment on this? because I am worried as I want to know will it seriously harm the engine if running is not more (ie 700+)
Considering that I am ready to maintain my car for a long period (10+ yrs), can you please comment on what are the consequences of going for a diesel engine and not having more than 400kms of monthly run (from the technical perspective)?

Even I have the similar question in my mind. My usage is not more than 15-20 kms a day or say 400 Kms a month, but still I want to go for a diesel Car (I favor Tata Safari).
My question is, people say if your usage is not more than say 700 or 1000+ kms a month you should not go for a diesel engine, I want to know exactly what can happen if i travel 300/400 Kms a month and still want to go for diesel engine?

May be experienced people can comment on this? because I am worried as I want to know will it seriously harm the engine if running is not more (ie 700+)
Considering that I am ready to maintain my car for a long period (10+ yrs), can you please comment on what are the consequences of going for a diesel engine and not having more than 400kms of monthly run (from the technical perspective)?
I realize that your in deep enigma buddy. 700km running per month in ok for any diesel. I dont think that the diesel has any problems. The service bill might be 30% more than petrol but at this stage, i would say its a better idea to buy a diesel. Buying a petrol today, is not practical (IMHO) as you know that soon petrol will be Rs.100/L. Also tell me why you have the safari in your mind. Do you have a large family or any other reason?

Thanks shonty for your responce.
regarding why I want to go for Safari, main reason is I just love this car, if not Safari i would be thinking of Scorpio for sure.[:)]

Tata Safari comes with Diesel Engine only [;)]
If you can manage petrol/Diesel expense then you can go for any car.
This is not rule like if running is less then choose petrol car.

People say this as we can save a lot of hard earned money by saving expense on petrol. Petrol is 75 Rs/L where as Diesel is 45 also diesel car gives more mileage than petrol car so using diesel car you can save lot of money (considering long term ownership) even after spening some extra amout initially.

300/400 km running a month you can anytime go for a diesel car, no harm in it.Only the thing is if there is exactly same car model is available with petrol engine you will be saving about 1L rupees initially which you can use for your future petrol experience.

There will not be any harm to diesel engine if your running is less.

Thanks Surfer.. This really made me smile. [:D] Tata Safari is my dream car and I really cant dream of any other car.
I had this fear in my mind, that if running is less for diesel car, it may impact engine/maintenance cost [cry]
Considering my affection towards this car and since I am going to keep it for long term period. I am ready to pay initial extra amount. Also for Safari, I dont have petrol option too..

Thanks again

One more reason for not suggesting diesel if daily/monthly usage is less lies in the fact that in shorter runs you never do justice to diesel engine. An oil burner should be stretched and only then the beauty comes out. Whereas petrol engine can be used for shorter and frequent runs. But again for usage warranting travelling 20Kms daily, you can easily go for diesel.
Finally it boils down to how much money you want to spend on the car. If car is only a means of transport, no one would buy a Porsche or a Lambo any day, would they?

I would love to consider new Safari (Merlin) but I guess it will be out of my budget. [cry]
But still I would prefer to wait till its launch.

so guys what the final outcome? can anybody brief it?

Mind it again the price of diesel will get a hike on 22nd Nov.

Now Diesel price also will increase from 22nd nov.

So, say in a situation the price of both petrol and diesel are same then which fuel based car you will opt for?

For the running say 800-1000 km / year (with 8+years) in mine which one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom