Petrol Leakage Problem

Thread Starter #1
Hi! My maruti 800 is 14yrs old and has crossed 70k. all of a sudden a new problem has cropped up. just a few days back i spotted some petrol on the garage floor. the leak was from the fuel filter area of the car. it does not leak all the time, thats the wierd part!! anyways the i took it to the mech, he said that the tip of the fuel pipe which is connected to the fuel filter had loosened and hence he cut a few centimeters of that pipe and re-connected it bak. but after loke two days i again found some leakage on the ground.

what could be the problem? should i change the whole fuel pipe/pipes?

Re: Petrol leakage

IMO take your car to the nearest M.A.S.S and take their advice. Now since as you said, the oil is leaking from the tip of the fuel pipe, this means that theres nothing wong with the fuel pipe but it is the connection with the fuel filter which seems to be the culprit here.
PS- BTW when was your car last serviced?

Thread Starter #4
Re: Petrol leakage

i went to the MASS guys for the second time. some other mech attended me. he said that the fuel was leaking from the fuel filter.(there is a hole in the filter itself, which lets out excess of petrol). Now when he disconnected the fuel pipe from the filter, the petrol was gusshing out, so he asked me to remove the petrol tank cap(circular in shape). as i removed, the flow of petrol was still going on (which it should have stopped moments after i removed the fuel cap). so he came to the conclusion that the NON RETURN VALVE is either disconnected or is malfunctioning. so to check it he opened the bonnet and connected a rubber hose to something. now he has asked me to check after a few days whether it is still leaking or not. if it does, then they might have to change the non-return valve assembly. is the diagnosis correct?? And
what is the function of the non return valve assembly??

I am not much into the mechanical stuff, however this is something which might help you. The following is a piece of article from Wikipedia.

Check valves are two-port valves, meaning they have two openings in the body, one for fluid to enter and the other for fluid to leave.
An important concept in check valves is the cracking pressure which is the minimum upstream pressure at which the valve will operate. Typically the check valve is designed for and can therefore be specified for a specific cracking pressure.

Last edited:
i had a similar leak in the fuel line for my old maruti 800 ( carburettor type not MPFI) replaced fuel line again this recurred, finally the culprit was rat cutting off the fuel line, i dont know why rats are so fond of fuel lines

Last edited:
Rat bites is a common problem faced by most of the maruti owner. Fortunately i have never had this problem with any of my rides though i do face a frogy issue!

Thread Starter #11
i had a similar leak in the fuel line for my old maruti 800 ( carburettor type not MPFI) replaced fuel line again this recurred, finally the culprit was rat cutting off the fuel line, i dont know why rats are so fond of fuel lines
dude the prob the mech pointed out in my case was of some pressure prob and not leaking of the petrol from the pipes.

dude the prob the mech pointed out in my case was of some pressure prob and not leaking of the petrol from the pipes.
Did you get it checked at the MASS. I feel if the pipes are not damaged, its the Fuel filter that might be doing this foul.

Thread Starter #13
Did you get it checked at the MASS. I feel if the pipes are not damaged, its the Fuel filter that might be doing this foul.
ya. it was not the petrol pipelines... but as i had earlier written, the non return valve pipe (somewhere inside the bonnet, near to the ignition coil) was not connected. so because of that, there was creation of pressure by the fuel from the petrol tank towards the filter as well as from the unused petrol from the engine towards the filter. because of the pressure from both ways, the fuel would overflow from the fuel filter (overflow outlet in the filter itself). hence the problem was sorted out!!

and, i dont know if i had posted earlier in this forum, that i used to experience heavy jerking in 3rd and 4th gear while accelerating. Surprisingly, even this problem has been sorted out!!! God knows how...!!

And, whenever i used to open the fuel cap for re-fuelling, a lot of trapped air/petrol vapour would just gush out as soon as the cap would open. it would come out in such a force that once the cap just flew out and fell down!!! And now even this problem has been sorted out!!

i think the main culprit was the Non return valve assembly. there is a rubber pipe which has to be connected somewhere inside the bonnet. I seriously dont know the function of it! but the above mentioned problems(petrol leak, jerk and escape of gas with pressure) has been sorted out finally.

but if there is any other possible means due to which the above probs may have occured, plz plz plz tell me.....

2 days back my MPFI maruti 800 started giving petrol smell in the interior of the car, but fuel gage didnt show much of loss took to local mechanic he removed petrol tank said high pressure fuel hose is leaking. he asked to replace 2 hoses, but i seached every where at calicut for mgp even sai distributors no one had this at stock . even sai counter people told me evey week 50 cases come of this fuel hose but its very costly so we dont stock it. my mechanic asked me to get a high pressure hydraulic hose from a hardware shop which costs rs160/metre. replaced it now the problem is solved. i never knew even mgp some parts are difficult to get

guyz ur silence is not at all helping me. whats the function of NON return valve??
Non return valves are used only in MPFI cars. They stop fuel from flowing back into the tank through the fuel pump pipe line when pump is idle. if fuel flows back when pump isn't working, pump will have to run dry for a couple of seconds each time car starts, and will lose priming. Same reason MPFi cars are advised to have more than a certain amount in tank, to make sure pump doesn't run dry.

if its faulty, get it changed ASAP along with fuel filter. check hoses thoroughly, else u might lose ur pump. And trust me, u don't wanna do that.

Top Bottom