Petrol Hatchback Under 5.5: Polo, Brio, Ritz or?

Did you consider beat with/without 3 yer maintainance package or say beat diesel with/without 3 years maintanace package?I think beat diesel is a hit so resale is not a problem.You said you heard about chevrolet and ford ass horror stories.Didn't you hear any such storries with vw ass?

Re: A petrol hatchback under 5.5: Polo, Brio, Ritz or?

I appreciate your advice, Vipul. Frankly, ABS and Airbags were not in my consideration, for cost reasons and also considering the fact that I do not driver very fast. However, your point that safety comes first is well taken. And if VXi ABS is being considered, it might be a foolish choice because, like you pointed out, ZXi becomes a lot more sensible option then. But the final on-road price between VXi (without ABS) and ZXi is 83K, which is quite a substantial sum in my thinking. If I buy VXi, I might just add an ICE and that will be the only additional spending. So, the question is, should I be spending some 70-75K on features such as ABS, Airbags, alloy wheels, wider wheels, etc.
First of all,I don't understand why people compare safety with the cost?I mean its a fact that if a mis-happening occurs(I hope it never happens)then even more money will be spent in the hospitals..

On one place you have mentioned that both of you are novices and have very less experience,hence I feel that ABS is a must for you,it results in better braking with shorter distance and hence it also helps saving from tailgating other cars and hence further saving.No locking of tyres in emergency and hence less wear of tyres and many more such advantages which people never consider,but they are there.

About your speeds,you may not drive fast but what about slippery and rough roads?What about other nonsense drivers?The accident in which I lost my mother was not our fault,our car was slow(30 kph) and on right side,but the nonsense bus driver coming from front wanted to overtake a truck...so if that car would be having airbags then the story may have been different.

I hope now you understand why I am strictly in favor of safety features because money can be earned but a lost body part or a person can't.

Also its a fact that tyres lock at lower speeds too like 80 kph etc etc and its a fact that most of the accidents maybe big or small occur only because driver looses control as the tyres were locked and the car skidded the hell out of the road.

Now about the 75k more,for those 75k what you are getting is as follows(in details):-
1):ABS:Anti lock braking system,maybe the biggest safety feature after seat belts.
2):EBD:Electronic brake force distribution system,it distributes the braking force between all four wheels,this results in a better and planted braking,else the car rattles in hard braking without EBD.
3):SRS airbags,a true priceless safety feature,do I need to say anything more?
4):Alloys add style.
5):185/70 R14 lower profile tyres for better drive,better grip and fantastic braking.
6):Height adjustable driver seat,this will make it easy for you as well as your wife to find the good driving position for driving.
7):Adjustable steering wheel,for perfect and comfy driving position.
8)Fog lamps,rear defogger and rear wiper..all are of use in winters and misty/foggy conditions.
AND MANY MORE...Now you understood what you get for 75k?

Same is with BRIO S(O) too..Only it will not have any discount,so it will jump your budget a bit too much.
I'd have never recommended Ritz ZXi to you,but when came to know about 43k discount,then I thought it will be a perfect car for you.

I think Alto K10VXi is a lot more value for money if I should settle for a smaller car. I wanted to consider Ritz ZXi and S(O)MT, but kept them out because of budget constraints. There is no ending to the loosening of strings, no? If I stretch it to 5.8, then suddenly I will think - why not extend it by another 30K and consider XXX car. Remember, I started with Alto 800 LX [;)]
See guy,you can loosen the strings for even a Merc.,at the time I bought the Laura,my father liked Superb DSG and then I said "If this car has all what we need and WE LIKE THIS CAR,then why to throw cash on a high price one".
And a stretch of 20k is not that high and the car you get is fantastic car.

Yes, it is tough, but I can do that. There is a saying in my mother tongue that translates roughly as:

"Even if the ground is fully packed with people, when an elephant comes in, space will get created" [:D]

I assume you wanted to know this to suggest Ritz ZXi and Brio S(O)MT. If so, your point is taken. Considering all that you explained above, I will add those to my options too.
That's great,if you are tight on budget then wait for one more month,collect some more money and the new year discounts also are waiting for you..

Rest if you want not to jump 5.5 lacs budget,then look no further and get a BRIO 'S' for you,its a fantastic car with great performance and will have an ICE system as well as other goodies too.If it does not have any discounts..then go for Ritz VXi.

@Anupt
Considering your budget/choices, i will suggest you to go for Polo. You can go for higher variant if your budget permits. Sit inside/drive all these cars and you will not ask any further. Though the cars shortlisted by you belong to 03 different segments. 1. Polo 2. Brio /Ritz 3. Alto.

BTW I own a Polo Trendline Petrol for last 9 months and happy with my decision of buying a Polo. When i made the purchase decision except one of my friends, who is an automobile engineer(worked in several automotive/component companies and now works in Railways and supervises the repairing/overhauling of engines), most of them voted against anything other than Maruti /Hyundai.
When i told him that Polo base model and Beat LT(option pack with all safety features) has the same price. He said don't compare a nut with a peanut. You are comparing a basic nokia mobile with a feature rich chinese mobile(no offence to anybody). Today after using this car for 9 months i understand he was right.

@TSIVipul Totally agree with your point considering safety first.
So please try to find a car which come with ABS+Airbags within your budget or stretch a bit.
Ritz will have good discounts currently.But I will go for brio simply because its new (something different)
BTW:Do TD all those cars- this makes a Hugh difference in decision making

Thread Starter #21
Thank you pointcity, ashikawa and TSVipul for your responses

The accident in which I lost my mother was not our fault,our car was slow(30 kph) and on right side,but the nonsense bus driver coming from front wanted to overtake a truck...so if that car would be having airbags then the story may have been different.
I am really sorry to hear about your sad loss, Vipul. And I now completely understand why you so strongly insist on safety. Point taken.

Same is with BRIO S(O) too..Only it will not have any discount,so it will jump your budget a bit too much.
I'd have never recommended Ritz ZXi to you,but when came to know about 43k discount,then I thought it will be a perfect car for you.
43K discount includes an exchange bonus too. What I will get will be closer to 30K. With that, Ritz ZXi and Brio S(O)MT will cost almost equal money; ~5.85 Lakhs.

@Anupt
The cars shortlisted by you belong to 03 different segments. 1. Polo 2. Brio /Ritz 3. Alto.
I agree, Alto belongs to a lower segment. But Polo, Brio and Ritz are all in the same segment, in my view. Of course, Polo has some bit of a prestige value being from the VW stable, which I guess Brio can also claim on account of being a Honda.

You are comparing a basic nokia mobile with a feature rich chinese mobile(no offence to anybody)
I dont think that comparison is fair. May be we can say, we are comparing a basic iPhone with a Samsung phone with more features at the same price. Sure, Apple is Apple and iPhone is iPhone, but a Samsung with more features at the same price is really not a bad deal.

Did you consider beat with/without 3 yer maintainance package or say beat diesel with/without 3 years maintanace package?I think beat diesel is a hit so resale is not a problem.You said you heard about chevrolet and ford ass horror stories.Didn't you hear any such storries with vw ass?
I considered Beat and dropped it on account of A.S.S. Sure, I'd heard of VW horror stories too. But I have an expectation of how VW will address this and I think that will not be like how the Americans do. I think it will be only a matter of a couple of years for VW to sort this out. Besides, I also heard that VW A.S.S. was not really a concern in Bangalore.

Thread Starter #22
please try to find a car which come with ABS+Airbags within your budget or stretch a bit.

TD all those cars- this makes a Hugh difference in decision making
Thank you, Surfer. TD is the plan for the next 4-5 days and I will freeze my decision.

AMG

Suspended
Skoda Fabia Elegance casts 5.40 Lakh on road for elegance model(with ABS + Airbags)

If you are looking for Practicality, its always the Ritz. Else, for the brand Honda, as Cherry said, it cant be cheaper than that. Ritz will be like, more Head over Heart!

Top Bottom