Petrol / Diesel Tank Capacity Calculation

Thread Starter #1
How Is the petrol tank calibrated. ie if u fill till the petrol hose near tank lid only it comes to full tank or till tank brim. I had this doubt. as my friend filled full tank Petrol from. Pump at mahe. near Kannur petroleum is cheaper as it is part of Pondicherry but he got his tank filled 2 litres more than tank capacity. as per car service book.

Last edited by a moderator:
its simple , I filled around 41litter petrol when the tank already contain around 4 or 6 litter petrol on my beat . So after refill vehicle had around 45 litter petrol. I asked with service center guys and they told to me the fuel line can carry a good amount of fuel. Btw beat tank capacity is 35 litters.

The tank which stores the fuel is connected to the lid with a metal pipe. The auto cut of mark usually marks the tank enterance which will be slightly more than the tank capacity. We can still fill some more and top up the fuel till the brim. Depending on the capacity of the metal pipe, this can hold few more liters of fuel apart from the original tank capacity.

Honda city 2012 petrol tank filling problem

Hi all,
just happened to have an almost empty tank with fuel needle at the lowermost point and the range showing 32kms with low fuel indicator light on.I went to the fuel pump and said to make it full tank,then i was surprised that it filled full with just 32 litres.Honda city fuel tank capacity is 42 litres according to specifications.I saw the fuel meter showing full tank and range 536 kms.
After this i drove the car a few kms and went again to petrolpump the next day,it filled just 2 litres and again became full.
I am confused that is the fuel tank only 32-35 litres capacity or there is something wrong with my car's tank or fuelgauge or fuel indicator?One more confusing thing was that the calculated range was according to 42 litres as my average shown at that time was approx.13-14.
Is this a problem or what??

Top Bottom