Performance Tuning Products for Petrol Cars?

Thread Starter #1
For diesel cars there are products like, petes tuning box or race dynamics , which increase the performance.

Is there any such product for petrol cars? or they do not need or cannot mod them for performance.

Would like to know just out of curiosity.

Hey, you can do away with mods like FFE or Performance filters OR piggybacks or remapping is suitable option for gasoline cars.

• Performance filters with cold air intake - K&N
  • Spark plugs - Iridium
  • Free flow exhaust system
  • Synthetic Oil

For diesel cars there are products like, petes tuning box or race dynamics , which increase the performance.

Is there any such product for petrol cars? or they do not need or cannot mod them for performance.

Would like to know just out of curiosity.
Race Dynamics also makes performance ECU's for petrol cars. They can be remaaped according to ur will. other than that, Free Flow Exhaust(FFE)
ans perfornmance air filters are there. Porting and polishing the head and shaving it to increase compression also boosts performance. High lift cams are available off the shelf for most cars. Still need more? Plonk in a Turbo or Supercharger to go Forced Induction. if done right, will give u over 60% power boost.

• Performance filters with cold air intake - K&N
  • Spark plugs - Iridium
  • Free flow exhaust system
  • Synthetic Oil
Performance filters with cold air intake - K&N:

An air intake revision needs to be much more then a performance filter with a cold air intake. It has to be designed in conjunction with the engine application and not just be thrown together from the parts bin ala K&N.

Spark plugs - Iridium:

Iridium are a 'double sided sword'. They are not better than other types of spark plugs. I generally stay clear of them even in racing applications.

Free flow exhaust:

With an exhaust design you have to first decide whether you want to go for torque or peak power. Then you have to decide, whether you keep the stock cams or go for different cam characteristics. Then you calculate and build. FFE is a totally wrong interpreted idea. It is not just a bigger bent pipe with some silencers. To get the most out of it it needs section welding and purging, the Y-junctions must be of a certain angle, the leading edge being clean, the diameters and lengths of primaries and secondaries calculated correctly, the collector diameter correct, the pipe getting reduced in diameter towards the end, the bends the correct shapes etc.

To build a proper exhaust is an art work.

Whether a high quality oil is synthetic, semi sunthetic or mineral has got no influence on performance.

Free flow exhaust system bro.

I am a noob when it comes to performance tuning but i believe petrol cars have more scope for modification than diesels right?
Is that why the Peugeots and the Audis with lots of restrictions outperform the petrols in LeMans?

The Diesel engines have not seen the limit in tuning as yet.

Diesel tuning is a little more difficult then petrol engine tuning, but the rewards are awesome.

Actually FFEs can be fitted in diesel engines(in non turbo),I think.
And turbo uses some of the exhausts gases too.
Correct me if I'm wrong.[:D]

Actually FFEs can be fitted in diesel engines(in non turbo),I think.
And turbo uses some of the exhausts gases too.
Correct me if I'm wrong.[:D]
The design principles of Diesel engine exhausts and petrol engine exhausts are identical. A dedicated performance exhaust does improve Diesel performance too.

Btw, the term 'FFE' is not what should be used when describing a performance exhaust system. Due to physical principles the exhaust needs tuning, which means the pipes are in length and diameter calculated to give the optimum performance required. In simple words it means that small diameter exhausts have good low end torque, but peak power suffers and the bigger the exhausts the more they are peak power oriented. Further tuning can be done with stepped exhaust manifolds. And generally the the collector pipe should get smaller towards the end of the pipe.

Top Bottom