Performance Tuning Of Bike

Thread Starter #1
I've new CBZ xTreme,

I came to know by replacing cotton air filter and "IRADIUM" spark plug by original the performance of bike gets increases... and using synthetic oil (4w-10 some what that only) insted of regular oil.....

And the same thing i asked to company representative his response was negative...

So is this tuning is good for bike or not ??

[confused] [confused] [confused]

performance of bike gets increases
Question would be, "Magnitude" of increase.

Replacing with alternate product is not just all about tuning.

A negligible difference is better avoided for the sake of extra expenditure you have to put in.

200% agree with Jayadev. Avoid doing all this to your motorcycle. Since yours is a new motorcycle, replacing the air filter, spark plugs, and engine oil is a sure shot receipe for voiding your warranty. Enjoy your CBZ in stock form.

K&N filter alone will make your ride very smooth and about 10% more powerful, but k&n is not making 150cc compatible airfilters yet . so if you fit any other brand like HP or K&N , then you will not feel much difference in power , yes you will feel change of engine run.

but on other way, if you fit K&N filter, the engine will suck more air, so more contamination on cylinder head !! so , if you are not a pro. then its always better to stuck with stock.

but on other way, if you fit K&N filter, the engine will suck more air, so more contamination on cylinder head !! so , if you are not a pro. then its always better to stuck with stock.
Can you Elaborate how does engine sucks in more air ? there is no increase in stroke length or piston dia ??

Can you Elaborate how does engine sucks in more air ? there is no increase in stroke length or piston dia ??
stock cotton air filter gives less air then k&n or other filter due to material used, since k&n filters have less particles to abstract air flow then compared to cotton filter, engine will have more (less filtered) air in its cylinder.

stock cotton air filter gives less air then k&n or other filter due to material used, since k&n filters have less particles to abstract air flow then compared to cotton filter, engine will have more (less filtered) air in its cylinder.
So why not least restrictions and allow engine to have more fun ?
why should we restrict it with miserly less efficient cotton filters ?

Why not let engines have better air and fuel ratio and ride with better efficiency ?

because,
with more air, more impurities will also go in cylinder compartment, which will cause more carbon and other contamination.

in US / EU, people can use K&N coz, there are very less impurities like dust in their air, unlike in india , we have very good amount of dust on any road :)

yes, you can use it, but your engine will not remain as clean as stock filter.
All automobile makers limit thair engine's highest power output (with available hardware) with air filter for making engine's life longer. (thats only my perception)

So why not least restrictions and allow engine to have more fun ?
why should we restrict it with miserly less efficient cotton filters ?

Why not let engines have better air and fuel ratio and ride with better efficiency ?
Internal comustion engine ignites air-fuel mixture in its combustion chamber (cylinder) to develop power. The air and fuel have to me mixed in a precise ratio. Too much air without proportional quantity of fuel or too much fuel without proportionate quantity of air does not help matters. Therefore, improving thr breathing efficiency of the bike by installing a free flow air filter will not yield any results unless the carburettor is also tuned to inject more petrol to burn alongwith the increased airflow. And if you do it,the fel efficiency will (obviously) go down and the engine life would also reduce (more air and fuel being ignited = more heat produced inside the engine= more wear and tear= lower life).

Hope that helps.

Internal comustion engine ignites air-fuel mixture in its combustion chamber (cylinder) to develop power. The air and fuel have to me mixed in a precise ratio. Too much air without proportional quantity of fuel or too much fuel without proportionate quantity of air does not help matters. ).

Hope that helps.
I said , Why not let engines have better air and fuel ratio and ride with better efficiency ? which means we are tweaking fuel too.I do realize it is not just air what is required inside the engine.
with more restriction requires more energy to suck air in. a better air intake will yield more efficient engine.
Why should we need to get stuck with lesser least efficient ones ?

Therefore, improving thr breathing efficiency of the bike by installing a free flow air filter will not yield any results unless the carburettor is also tuned to inject more petrol to burn alongwith the increased airflow. And if you do it,the fel efficiency will (obviously) go down and the engine life would also reduce (more air and fuel being ignited = more heat produced inside the engine= more wear and tear= lower life
I am not clear about that statement.

More petrol burnt cannot mean, rider will be using more energy from engine all the time just because power has increased with same engine.he have throttle pin in hand to control the flow .

AFAIK A bigger more powerful engine consume more fuel not because it is big but It has more mass and needs to act with more factors than smaller counterparts.

So I believe if fuel air ratio was rich enough with least effort and better combustion means more efficiency.

of course I do agree In-case of alternative filters needs additional tweaking of engine, if one is seeking additional benefits.other wise it would be like adding a so called better "tire" thinking that the same will lead to superbike mode.

@jayadev: There are many factors that govern the power/torque/efficiency of an engine like cubic capacity, combustion chamber design, materials used for making engine parts, scavenging of exhaust gases, and 'n' number of other factors. Given the size of an engine, say 150cc, the power produced by it could be increased upto a particular level but an increase in power would always be at the expense of fuel combuustion. Given engine design parameters, automobile manufacturers arrive at an optimum power/efficiency level for its intended use.

Increasing breathing efficiency is of no use unless the extra air taken inside the combustion chamber is converted into useable power. This is possible only if the extra air taken inside the cylinder is mixed with an appropriate quantity of fuel. Power is defined as the rate of doing work. If the rate at which combustion takes place inside a cylinder could be increased, the engine would develop more power (upto a limit). Regarding the use of throttle to control fuel flow inside the carb, you are correct upto a point but consider this - a carburettor has jets inside it (small pipe like things) that direct the flow of petrol from the fuel tank to the carb depending upon how much the throttle is twisted. To go with a free flow air filter, these jets are upsized which essentially means that bigger diameter jets are fitted. Now, in a bigger diameter jet, the amount of petrol that would be transmitted would obviously be more that that in a smaller diameter jet, even though the throttle opening is the same in both cases.

In a nutshell, increasing the breathing efficiency alone would work upto a certain level, but it would also lead to lesser fuel efficiency and more pollution in most, if not all cases.

I did not mean increasing power literally but efficiency (power may be bonus).little bit of extra juice one can extract from given engine at the cost of additional tuning.

Better burning of fuel in a given cycle, better use of energy available from resources.
Many a times just removing the filter itself make an engine rev better ,which means restrictions a filter provides is not in engine's interest.I am not ironing out the compression aspects .

What I have observed is manufacture has to cut a profitable margin between "form vs performance" factor where most of the time performance remains undermined.

Manufactures claim a high fuel efficiency inside a very very narrow band of specification which apparently is almost impossible to achieve in day to day commute nevertheless they are claimed for business prospective .
Unfortunately we have learnt to live with that kind of atmosphere relying on those narrow set of rules.

Regarding the use of throttle to control fuel flow inside the carb, you are correct upto a point but consider this - a carburettor has jets inside it (small pipe like things) that direct the flow of petrol from the fuel tank to the carb depending upon how much the throttle is twisted. To go with a free flow air filter, these jets are upsized which essentially means that bigger diameter jets are fitted. Now, in a bigger diameter jet, the amount of petrol that would be transmitted would obviously be more that that in a smaller diameter jet, even though the throttle opening is the same in both cases.
still not clear...NOOB here!!

If one has to cover 100 meters of distance needs x kilojoules of power.
the same should be constant if everything remains same.
in that case a more efficient engine with a carb having bigger jet or whatever is used, due to better efficiency we will have a gain which would definitely be on fuel side-Am i wrong ?

Bigger dia and more petrol burnt shouldn't be wasted here that is where ai meant throttle control.
Sucking in more Air means I have no intentions to say fill the cylinder with as much air as possible (we are not working with air compressor here) but what i mean is give it so much that no fuel remains un-burnt without any trace of doubt.
Agreed , manufacturer tune it optimally for for the stock filter they provide (for the narrow band)
but can we vouch on those filters being performing linear with kind of throttle we give ?

I have noticed the stock bike spit smoke at higher rpm's and had seen same bike with additional tweaking dint spew smoke at all when rev hard (at least not visibly) and sounded smoother.

Top Bottom